• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

66 Years Ago, A B-25 Bomber Mysteriously Vanished In A Pennsylvania River

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
More than 60 years ago, the Monongahela River pulled off a vanishing trick that sure makes Harry Houdini’s stunts look like child’s play. In January 1956, a U.S. Air Force B-25 bomber made an emergency landing in the river, which passes through Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania... then promptly disappeared without a trace. Attempts to locate the plane—which was barely taller than the maximum depth of the river—have all failed, leading locals to call the plane the “Ghost Bomber of the Monongahela.”

When the TB-25 Mitchell aircraft took off from Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada, the crew consisted of three pilots: Maj. William Dotson, Capt. Steve W. Tabak, and Capt. John F. Jamieson. There were three others onboard the aircraft, including Staff Sgt. Walter E. Soocey, aircraft crew chief; and Capt. J.P. Ingraham and Master Sgt. Alfred J. Alleman, who were both listed as passengers.

image-169Gallery-ad26c32b-1204817.jpg

A similar TB-25

The crew of the TB-25, a B-25 medium tactical bomber converted into a trainer aircraft, was ordered to fly cross-country to pick up aircraft parts at the former Olmstead Air Force Base near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and to drop off the two passengers onboard at Andrews Air Force Base in the Washington, D.C. area.

The bomber flew from Nellis to Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma, where it refueled. It spent the night at Tinker before proceeding on to Selfridge Air Force Base in Michigan. Capt. Tabak disembarked, and the crew, after finding out it would take several hours to refuel, decided to fly on to Olmstead without refueling.

The decision to press on with the fuel left onboard proved tragic. Thirty-one nautical miles east of the Pittsburgh International Airport, the crew noticed an “obvious and unusual” decrease in the amount of fuel in the plane’s tanks. It diverted from Olmstead to civilian airports twice as the fuel situation worsened. The TB-25N, its tanks dry, lost both engines at an altitude of 3,000 feet above the Monongahela River. The pilot in command, Maj. Dotson, put the airplane down so skillfully that it landed intact and without any significant injuries among its passengers and crew.

The six airmen were able to assemble on the top of the aircraft as it floated downstream. They were freezing: the air temperature was just 27 degrees Fahrenheit, and the water temperature was 35 degrees Fahrenheit. The river was 800 to 1,000 feet wide, meaning any survivor was faced with a lengthy swim to shore, with the current running at a brisk eight to 10 knots. The plane remained afloat for 15 to 20 minutes before it began to sink, whereupon the airmen were forced into the water. Four made it to safety, rescued by civilian passersby and police, but two disappeared in the river.

Authorities searched for two weeks, but the plane and missing crew were never seen again.

Over the next 66 years, the disappearance of the aircraft took on legendary proportions. How, locals asked, could an airplane nearly 16 feet tall disappear in a river with a maximum depth of 35 feet?

The mystery has since spurred a slew of conspiracy theories. Some locals insisted they saw the U.S. military recover the airplane at night. Others, apparently believing a spare-parts run to be too mundane for the scope of the disaster, claimed the lost aircraft had been carrying atomic weapons, nerve gas, Mafia money, or even aliens.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/6...-vanished-in-a-pennsylvania-river/ar-AA101uCw

maximus otter

I don't know how far downriver anyone's ever searched. According to the accident report (see above) the river was flowing at about 10 knots at the time of the ditching. The plane had already traveled a mile or more downstream when it sank beneath the surface. The last of the occupants to be rescued were 1.5 to 2 miles downstream from the point of impact.

I suspect that the submerged aircraft floated farther downstream than anyone expected at the time. Whether anyone's searched farther downstream is something for which I can't find any evidence. There seem to have been multiple projects to go looking for the lost plane, but I can't find information about their search areas.

I don't know how far downriver anyone's ever searched. According to the accident report (see above) the river was flowing at about 10 knots at the time of the ditching. The plane had already traveled a mile or more downstream when it sank beneath the surface. The last of the occupants to be rescued were 1.5 to 2 miles downstream from the point of impact.

I suspect that the submerged aircraft floated farther downstream than anyone expected at the time. Whether anyone's searched farther downstream is something for which I can't find any evidence. There seem to have been multiple projects to go looking for the lost plane, but I can't find information about their search areas.
Sounds like a job for google earth.

"[T]he group that has put the most time and energy into finding out has a theory that requires no leaps of logic. A private association called the B-25 Recovery Group, working with the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center, believes there is a solution that would fit all the observations. According to their research, extensive gravel dredging had been done for years right off of the Jones and Laughlin steel plant, at a place called Bird's Landing. This left great deep pits in the riverbed into which the B-25 quite likely would have sunk and been stuck. In the decades since, it's been covered with silt, and it's probable that nothing besides the engines, landing gear, and other heavy parts might remain — for anyone with the resources to dredge for it. So far, nobody has stepped up to do magnetometer readings or other expensive surveys. More than likely, according to their theory, the B-25 simply slipped Tetris-like into a slot that has effectively hidden it, and will likely remain so for the forseeable future."

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4355
and
https://skeptoid.com/blog/2012/05/17/the-mystery-in-the-mon/

Back