• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

666 (Six Six Six): The Devil's Number? The Number Of The Beast?

lucydru

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Is 666 the devils number?

Personally I don't think it is. I have never had a bad experience with it as a number. As I said in a different thread I have rang it up on my mobile and nothing strange has happened.

lucydru

See the Revelation of St John the Divine, chapter 13, verse 18 (although for it to make any sense, you'll need to read the chapter) - it's the number of the Beast, but who or what is the Beast? :eek:

Nero seems to be the current favourite. His name and title written in Greek - Kaiser Neron - translates to qsr nrwn in Hebrew, which by gematria adds up to 666.
Yes, he'd been dead for a couple of decades by the time the Revelation was written, but apparently many people thought he'd be back, if not from the dead then from the eastern exile which was 'really' his fate, and would bring merry hell with him.
Incidentally, this seems a good time to recommend Suetonius' 'The Twelve Caesars' as a rolicking good read. Anyone know anything about Tiberius' (I think it was) museum of giants' bones? I'd love to know if it was a collection of the bones of giants or of found giant bones.

Incidentally, I read a new translation of the revelation, which in one place pointed out that traditionally at one point "angel" had been substituted for "eagle" in case people thought the idea of a talking eagle was a bit far-fetched.
Go figure, as they say.

dead flag said:
Nero seems to be the current favourite. His name and title written in Greek - Kaiser Neron - translates to qsr nrwn in Hebrew, which by gematria adds up to 666.

....And let's not forget Ronald Wilson Reagan - six letters per name...... :eek:

Yeah, but Tony Blair's got seven heads.
It's true it's true it's true.

Games turning names into numbers can be made to work whatever, I believe. I've heard examples of Bill Gates, George Bush, Saddam Hussein, Hitler, and others.

But revelations says that thousands of people will be marked with the number, and that the Beast will be disguised as a much loved figure, or something (it also never says that the Beast is the Devil, as far as I know.. theres a whole load of monsters in revelations. Anyone spotted the Whore drinking blood and riding a dragon yet?). So basically it should be someone we all really really like.

Right now I can't think of anyone in a position of power who is particularly well liked. Suggestions?

DanJW said:
Right now I can't think of anyone in a position of power who is particularly well liked. Suggestions?

The barman in my local is the best that I can come up with ;)

DanJW said:
Anyone spotted the Whore drinking blood and riding a dragon yet

I imagine that riding reptoids must play havoc on one's hips. No ideas on the blood consuming front though.

One could veritably place some connotation to any combination of 666. If you worked hard enough, there is probably some connection between God and the number.

I have a feeling when (or if) we ever really finally see this person in real, those who understand it will know.....and wow will we know.

DanJW said:
Anyone spotted the Whore drinking blood and riding a dragon yet?).

Let me tell you about my X... on second thought don't...

Niles

Get thee behind me

dead flag said:

Six of them are up his ass, though.

Re the original topic, however, I've never been that impressed with the notion of 666. It seems somehow childish for the Devil to have a number. I mean, why? What does he use it for? Just to sound mean, that's my guess. And all this business about the Anti-Christ. It's like, 'Oh, well, if you're Christ, then I'm the Anti-Christ. So, ner ner!' Couldn't he think up an original name?

Right, I'm going to post this before my PC explodes...

Re: Get thee behind me

Mr. Bingo said:
....It seems somehow childish for the Devil to have a number. I mean, why? What does he use it for? ...

His mobile 'phone, of course.

You don't think that they were invented by humans, do you? :eek:

666 isn't his mobile number. I know I have tried ringing it a few times now and my phone just beeps.

lucydru

i saw the number 666 on a beach on great yarmouth once in callifoina,and that was a wreary time

dead flag said:
It's true it's true it's true.

. . . and every one of them grinning . . .:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Carole

Incidently, the phone number of the Duke of Bedford's Estate at Woburn Abbey,(which includes the Safari Park) was until about ten years ago:- Woburn 666

Since then, BT have added extra figures, so that it's now:- 01525 290666.

In some ways this is a pity, as in the past, if you wanted to see the lions and other animals it was so simple to phone the "number of the beast" & ask for the opening times of the park.

I don't think it did the Park any harm & they seem to be doing well......Well at least until the foot & mouth!!!!

Crowley once said something along the lines that "You can, of course, make the name of any enemy add up to 666 (using gematria)". In his edition of Bennet's Sepher Sephiroth he couldn't resist making his and Jesus' names add up to 666.

Of course, the true adepts know that 666 is a cipher for the Hebrew RAIHChThULU - Countenance of Cthulhu! Ia! Ia! ;)

DSSh

Saw one of those new beatle cars (a yucky pale yellow one) and in it's reg. no. was 666. Would the devil ever be seen in a car of such a bad colour??

lucydru

Heh heh

Here's an amusing story about the evils of technology and the mark of the beast.

There was a rather daft girl I worked with a few years back, who was excited to show me a new trick she'd been shown, which was supposed to "prove" that computers are evil. She set up this elaborate numbering system to make certain numbers correspond with the letters of the word "Computer." She then proceeded with an incredibly convaluted way of making the numbers somehow come out to 666 (I can't remember what she did, as it was very confusing and a long time ago).

Well, I had a lot of problems with this. First and foremost, this would most likely only work with the English language (conveninent, as that's the language we happen to speak), and also, you can make any word equal any number, provided you have a silly confusing system of corresponding the two. The best argument against it, which inspired a lot of laughter from me, was me pointing out that she had misspelled computer ("computar")!!!

So much for that logic.

D'oh! No wonder when I have tried ringing 666 on the phone to see if the Devil answers my phone just beeps. I don't believe in him.

lucydru

Mistranslated

I have a Revised Standard Version of the bible based on translations used in the 1611 bible.

The number of the beast, 666, could actually have been mistranslated.

In Revelations 14:8 the number 666, it says could have been mistranslated, and could well be 616.

So, all this hoo har about the number of the beast for the last 400 odd years could have been totally misguided.

Moggadon

Re: Mistranslated

Moggadon said:
In Revelations 14:8 the number 666, it says could have been mistranslated, and could well be 616.

D'oh!

Btw, my guess for The Beast is Jamie Oliver. Absolutely no proof, but just, you know, a hunch. Come judgement day, when all you can hear is a thunderous voice shouting "PUKKA!", don't say I didn't warn you...

Two days in a row I have seen a car with 666 in the reg.

lucydru

lucydru said:
Two days in a row I have seen a car with 666 in the reg.

lucydru

There was a story in the paper about a guy who bought a car with 666 in the reg and all sorts of bad things happened to it. However, when somebody who wasn't a butthead tabloid journalist investigated, it turned out that the car was just a heap of crap and not demonic in the slightest. I guy near us bought a 666 numberplate specially from the DVLA. But he's not devilish. He's just a sad git.

Also, another thought - you don't see many 666 reg's on the road, normally, do you? Which is odd, because surely 1 in every 999 cars should have 666 as a number (excluding those with personalised plates). That means if you see 3,000 cars in a day, at least 3 should have 666 in their reg. Maybe I just haven't been looking...

You didn't see the colour of the new beatle yesterday, it was foul! Oh and if you use that link you will find another link to the cars own site!

lucydru

OH - you fools, you poor fools- do none of you realise the significance of the fact that 666 is 999 upside-down!!

wintermute said:
OH - you fools, you poor fools- do none of you realise the significance of the fact that 666 is 999 upside-down!!

You mean Michael Buerk is really.......
no, it's too terrible to consider!

Back