• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

666 (Six Six Six): The Devil's Number? The Number Of The Beast?

witchflame said:
Why oh why oh why does the devil, satan, beelzebub, lucifer, the dark lord, cloven hooved one have to have a number?

But according to John's Revelation itself, the "number [is that] of a MAN"....and NOT of Satan/ Lucifer.

Why oh why oh why does the devil, satan, beelzebub, lucifer, the dark lord, cloven hooved one have to have a number?

Maybe the passage in the bible is another of those wonderous things that are 'lost in translation'. In other words a complete frigging cock up.
Probably because everything has a number in gematria, based on the values of the Hebrew letters (actually, I think the greeks started it, but Hebrew is probably a bit more relevant to the writers of the various books of the bible).
Very simply put, every letter has a value, and therefore every word or phrase has a value, and words or phrases which have the same value as each other are considered to have a connected meaning in some way.

It's all a big mystical mental masturbation exercise, but in qabala as in many other schools of magic(k) and mysticism the correspondances between things is an important part of the infrastucture.

Browsing on the bbfc site to check the past and present certification of certain movies, I was amused - or maybe a little alarmed - to see that Buñuel's picture The Exterminating Angel was first passed for exhibition on 1/6/66.

In those days, it was thought strong enough meat to merit an X Certificate. These days it merits only a 12. Sign of the times?

Here

:shock:

Hello there y'all.. I've recently been doing some "Spring cleaning" (Well summer was late!) and came across some notes I'd written bout a dream my Dad had regarding the numbers 666, that I thought I'd share here.

..Maybe I should point out that my Dad is a sceptical non believer in all things "Paranormal"

Here goes, he dreampt that he was walking in the desert with a slight wind blowing about him. When suddenly a voice in the wind instructed him to break the '666 code'

My Dad answered that he was not interested in "Religious things" and that he wouldn't know anything about it. But the voice emphatically repeated its instruction. So my Dad was pursuaded to give it a go.

He knelt down, picked up a stick and wrote the numbers 666 in the sand... After all sorts of reckoning without results he just about gave up and stared blankly at the numbers in the sand. At this point he felt his mind slip into a 'trance like' state, and the compulsion to write the numbers 666 in a vertical column over took him.

Thus he did, and then as if on "Automatic Pilot" he went about adding the numbers to the total of 18. He then felt prompted to match the numbers to the correlating letters in the alphabet. Whereby 1 matched to A, and 8 matched to H.

He felt a sudden sense of amazment and dread, as he realised that the letters A and H were the intials of Adolf Hitler!

This is just one of many "Paranormal" type experiences my 'non believer' Dad has had throughout his life. I now call him "The reluctant Prophet!

Best wishes, Firefly 52

I thought the number of the beast was 616 or 665?

Wakipedia

616 = 13! Oh NO! We are all doomed! :shock:

Still. Adolf Hitler (or Aldous Huxley or etc), eh. Who'd have thunk? :shock:

Don't hate me!

It's a good story, but to what use could you put the information? Adolf Hitler is a bit last century. Unless he's hanging around in spirit form to put the wind up your dad? Either way, I'd ignore him, you'll only encourage him otherwise. That's the Nazi dictator I mean, not your dad.

gncxx said:
It's a good story, but to what use could you put the information? Adolf Hitler is a bit last century. Unless he's hanging around in spirit form to put the wind up your dad? Either way, I'd ignore him, you'll only encourage him otherwise. That's the Nazi dictator I mean, not your dad.

My thoughts exactly! well no, my thoughts exactly were "Chuckle, chuckle... A fat lot of good that info does!... I mean it's a tad after the fact, dont cha think self??!!..." But then "Self" answered "Not necessarily!... In the "who done it?" sense, some crimes are often solved years after they occured.. and if "The one, who's name we no speak!" -ADOLF HITLER! Was in fact the true Anti Christ, and my Dads weird little dream was correct, and would help to create a sort of 'hindsight' over view, then all sorts of pieces of the puzzel might fall into place, and we (or someone?) would see that in fact a vital clue has been relaid to us (or someone?)

Don't ask me though! Coz I havn't got a clue!

Firefly52

CarlosTheDJ said:
"AH" also stands for "A Hoax"

Ha, yeah! That's a good one!.. Maybe God (or my Dads subconscious!) was just bored that night and had nothing better to do than get up to mischief!... Or, it could have been a message to say that the 666 thing was just a big joke, but God being God, had to go and complicate things and turn a laugh into an anagram! Maybe??

My fave 666 theory though, is still the bush, bin Laden, and blair initials all written in 'lower case'.

Firefly52

US town escapes 666 phone prefix

A town in the US state of Louisiana is to be allowed to change its telephone prefix so that residents can avoid a number many associate with the Devil.
Christian residents of Reeves have been complaining since the early 1960s about being given the prefix, 666 - known in the Bible as the "number of the beast".

For the next three months, households will able to change the first three digits of their phone numbers to 749.

Mayor Scott Walker said CenturyTel's decision was "divine intervention".

However, he admitted it helped that Louisiana's two senators had also lobbied for the change with the phone company and the state Public Service Commission.

"It's been a black eye for our town, a stigma," he said.

"I don't think it's anything bad on us, just an image," he added. "We're good Christian people."

Mayor Walker said he had already made the switch to using the 749 prefix and expected about 80% of the town's 450 homeowners to do the same.

'Number of the beast'

The reference to 666 is taken from the Biblical book of Revelation, which talks about the events leading to the end of the world.

Revelation 13:18 states: "If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666."

The number has fascinated and puzzled Christians for centuries and led to a great deal of speculation about its meaning.

Many scholars believe it is a reference to the Roman emperor at the time Revelation was written - either Nero or Diocletian. Both men put large numbers of Christians to death.

Using the Jewish system of Gematria, in which each letter is given a number, either name can be made to add up to 666.

The fear of the number 666 is known as hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7163767.stm

I popped into Wilko for a few essential meds last week. Three different items, two of each, all came to £6.66.

That's the ibuprofen of Sataaan, the ranitidine of Sataaan and the Sinex inhalers of Sataaan.

We feel better already. :D

I thought it had been proved conclusively that the number in Revelation is actually 616 not 666 (as it tells me in my QI book of General Ignorance that I got for Crimbo!) :?

Zoffre said:
I thought it had been proved conclusively that the number in Revelation is actually 616 not 666 (as it tells me in my QI book of General Ignorance that I got for Crimbo!) :?

That's right. Sounds like a publicity stunt, I hope they're not entirely serious. I wonder if these townsfolk will notice any difference? Did they get a lot of prank calls asking for Satan or something?

When I was little, we believed that if you dialled 666 then you got through to the Devil. Never tried it myself.

gncxx said:
When I was little, we believed that if you dialled 666 then you got through to the Devil. Never tried it myself.
Don't be silly - everyone knows that's the number for the Australian emergency services!

Commons call to disestablish church is number 666

A motion calling for the disestablishment of the Church of England has been listed in the House of Commons as 666 - the Number of the Beast.

continues

Link

Zoffre said:
I thought it had been proved conclusively that the number in Revelation is actually 616 not 666....

No, it hasn't. What IS known, and has nearly always been known, is that BOTH numbers circulated in manuscripts of John's Revelation as early as the Second Century. Priority has never been established.

I do so hope that it is 616. Aleister Crowley would look such a knob in retrospect.

...and all those others who live their lives according to some mumbo-jumbo written by a pretend wizard who lives in the sky wouldn't?

Zoffre said:
I thought it had been proved conclusively that the number in Revelation is actually 616 not 666....

BOTH numbers are equally correct and have been known to Christians since the age of St. Irenaeus (circa 180 AD)

I love it when this number comes up.

Techy recently bought me a little radio, partly because I love radios and partly because of the model number, which was 666.

I also bought some groceries at the Co-Op yesterday and the bill came to £6.66.
So now we're waiting for the third 666 which is when the END TIMES will begin. :eek:

hurrah!!!!!!

is membership now being closed? :D

Dublin Horror Society has 166 members so we have a journey to travel yet.

Back