• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

9/9/9 & The Significance Of Dates

jubecrew

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It seems to be that with the days slowly approaching I can't help but be reminiscent of most Christian belief that 9/9/9 is symbolic to the sign of the beast and a portion of end of days type thoughts and predictions.

It would occur to me that most agents of chaos practitioners also would regard this a grave day to strike fear into the hearts of their " oppressors " and solidify a long lasting war.

I say good people of the forum, what say thee? haha
:lol:

The number of the Beast was discovered to actually be 611, which upside down would be 119, or 1/1/9, so as that date has already passed without cataclysm we're safe I think. Weird how these theories end up tying themselves in knots to fit the numbers, though.

Would someone as evil as Satan stick to the rules?

Surely he would rock up on 9/8/9 and surprise everyone?

Anyway, I was led to believe the number of the beast was a human number, it's number is six hundred and sixty six?

I'd have thought that given the WTC attacks occured on 9/11 (America's emergency number) 9/9/9 might have been an inspirational date for an attack on the UK.

Oddly enough, I've just noticed the number of posts the thread originator has made at the time of this post. Spooky! :shock:

Or maybe intentional. That's one for Jube Crew.

gncxx said:
The number of the Beast was discovered to actually be 611...
Oh - I thought it was 616?

Round here, incidentally, there has long been a 966 bus service. A chm and I even started trying to rework the lyrics of the famous Iron Maiden song into "The Number of the Bus". Didn't get very far...

Peripart said:
gncxx said:
The number of the Beast was discovered to actually be 611...
Oh - I thought it was 616?
Yep. We covered this in the invitingly-titled My mum'z weird 666 experience thread (contains scenes of mild peril, decent discussion and high intellectual debate with verbal pyrotechnics. Parental caution advised.)

It's 616. Which would have been the 9th January just gone. IIRC the only cataclysm involved with that date would have been the advent of post-Xmas credit card bills.

I knew there was a one in it! January, anyway.

I didn't even notice that the post was my 99th post hah :D

How oddly incidental, Regardless of the actual # of the beast most people do associate the # 666 with the sign of the beast.

3:00 AM the witching hour blah blah blah

I expect the day to go smoothly with the same amount of international bombings as is happening daily anyway :D

but who knows... who knows really :D haha

stuneville said:
Which would have been the 9th January just gone.

Except that in the original context it is stipulated that the number refers to a man and not a date and even if it did then it would not be a date that equates exactly to our calendar and computations would be needed to work it out.

Why would 9/9/9 mean anything to Christians?

Did anything happen on 9/9/1909?

segovius said:
stuneville said:
Which would have been the 9th January just gone.

Except that in the original context it is stipulated that the number refers to a man and not a date and even if it did then it would not be a date that equates exactly to our calendar and computations would be needed to work it out.
I should have said "by that (jubecrew's) logic it would have been January last."

I know it's a whole heap more complicated than that :).

wembley9 said:

Because it means (*scary X-files music turned on*)
Number of the Beast upside down. (*X-files music off*)

SameOldVardoger said:
wembley9 said:

Because it means (*scary X-files music turned on*)
Number of the Beast upside down. (*X-files music off*)

Exactly...

Maybe the facts of the so-called Number of the Beast are not as important as the misconceptions. If some nutter thinks they have the divine right to switch 666 upside down then plan an atrocity accordingly, who's going to tell them they have their methods in a muddle? The Devil presumably won't be putting in an appearance to set them right.

gncxx said:
Maybe the facts of the so-called Number of the Beast are not as important as the misconceptions. If some nutter thinks they have the divine right to switch 666 upside down then plan an atrocity accordingly, who's going to tell them they have their methods in a muddle? The Devil presumably won't be putting in an appearance to set them right.

Still would not apply to any form of Islamist terrorism though... surely it would only apply to those conditioned to Western Christian culture?

To find any form of equivalence in the present climate re terrorism one would need to know in detail of Islamic equivalents of the antichrist etc which, while having some similarities, are quite different.

Which raises some interesting points - although perhaps a little off-topic - but after 911 when the notes from the hijackers came to light and Atta's notorious 'Last Will', they were analyzed and found to contain very little one would expect from someone brought up in a Middle Eastern context - and very little from any familiar Islamic theological conception - but showing marked indications of Christian/Western religious ideals... ideas such as 'sin' and 'forgiveness' and 'atonement' which are markedly different in Islam to the point where they do not really exist (atonement for sin is a uniquely Christian conception which has no real Islamic equivalent)...but I digress.....

I don't think you digress at all, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The concept of the Number of the Beast has spread into non-Christian societies thanks to films like The Omen and various heavy metal albums and cultural whatnots, so it's widely known.

Therefore it doesn't matter if you're part of an international terrorist cell or a lone gunman, if you have it in your mind that your acts against your supposed enemies are justified by their beliefs as much as yours, then you'll be going ahead regardless of how factually appropriate more intelligent others think your choice of date is.

gncxx said:
I don't think you digress at all, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The concept of the Number of the Beast has spread into non-Christian societies thanks to films like The Omen and various heavy metal albums and cultural whatnots, so it's widely known.

Therefore it doesn't matter if you're part of an international terrorist cell or a lone gunman, if you have it in your mind that your acts against your supposed enemies are justified by their beliefs as much as yours, then you'll be going ahead regardless of how factually appropriate more intelligent others think your choice of date is.

But then that alters the perception of the 'terrorist threat' that we are generally asked to believe in.

The general picture is of inflexible fanatics who 'hate our way of life' and oppose it.

Your picture is more of flexible groups with agendas who accept parts of our way of life.

segovius said:
But then that alters the perception of the 'terrorist threat' that we are generally asked to believe in.

The general picture is of inflexible fanatics who 'hate our way of life' and oppose it.

Your picture is more of flexible groups with agendas who accept parts of our way of life.

Even the most closed off societies these days have multicultural influences, East, West or in the middle. If you have the compulsion to cause mayhem and murder, you'll have learned something about your enemy, accurate or not, otherwise you won't have any basis for attacking them.

gncxx said:
segovius said:

Even the most closed off societies these days have multicultural influences, East, West or in the middle. If you have the compulsion to cause mayhem and murder, you'll have learned something about your enemy, accurate or not, otherwise you won't have any basis for attacking them.

You should hope the intelligence services don't subscribe to that view then.

You'd probably be safer with them looking at dates more significant to the groups in question's ideologies rather than their enemies.

I guess that's why troops in the Middle East prepare for (and meet) increased resistance at Ramadan rather than Easter.

segovius said:
You should hope the intelligence services don't subscribe to that view then.

You'd probably be safer with them looking at dates more significant to the groups in question's ideologies rather than their enemies.

I guess that's why troops in the Middle East prepare for (and meet) increased resistance at Ramadan rather than Easter.

Yeah, but that's in the Middle East, not attacks on foreign, Western soil. What significance do the dates of the 7th of July and the 11th of September have in Islamic culture, anyway? There's more to staging an atrocity than picking your favourite day, after all.

Don't know about the significance of July, but I seem to remember some speculation about a connection between 911 and the Black September Movement of 1970-73.

The older I get the more I'm dissapointed as these dates pass without event. The millenium was perhaps the biggest let down as I expected aeroplanes to fall out of the sky and the worlds computers to melt and cash points to explode.

Then some friend of mine that I travled with in S.America leant me a book about the significance of a date in 2007 (I think it was the 2nd of May). It was a Columbian paperback translated in English and I've never been able to find a copy since. Anyway, that date passed, I got an email from my travelling mate who said he now felt as if he could start living his life and so could I. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my life hadn't been on hold for the last 4 years.

There's also been some Mayan "End of calender" type of date prediction, I'm pretty sure that passed too.

So...*cough* if you're listening oh Merchant of Doom, Ye Knight of Darkness or whatever you are called....can we have some firworks this time please, but don't let anyone get hurt, ok?

linesmachine said:
The older I get the more I'm dissapointed as these dates pass without event. The millenium was perhaps the biggest let down as I expected aeroplanes to fall out of the sky and the worlds computers to melt and cash points to explode.

Then some friend of mine that I travled with in S.America leant me a book about the significance of a date in 2007 (I think it was the 2nd of May). It was a Columbian paperback translated in English and I've never been able to find a copy since. Anyway, that date passed, I got an email from my travelling mate who said he now felt as if he could start living his life and so could I. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my life hadn't been on hold for the last 4 years.

There's also been some Mayan "End of calender" type of date prediction, I'm pretty sure that passed too.

So...*cough* if you're listening oh Merchant of Doom, Ye Knight of Darkness or whatever you are called....can we have some firworks this time please, but don't let anyone get hurt, ok?

hah Excellent :D I agree

I think the most interesting time frame Ive been fantasizing at just what could happen and the significance of it would be when all the planets are supposed to align up with the sun!

what then... will we all become physic and have more connection to space time and conscious, will we see another ice age, will the earth shift on its axis? will the earth slow down its rate of spin, will it just be another day like any other day? will the sun melt pluto? will my hair stand on the top of its ends? will the earth quake and shake causing super volcanoes to erupt?

9/9/9 is World Hoop Day!!!

Im making hula hoops and giving them away to youth centres.

Since 2006, World Hoop Day has been dedicated to bringing dance, exercise and toy hoops to under-privileged children living in extreme poverty and underdeveloped neighborhoods of our world. Founded by Annie O'Keeffe, her husband, Kevin, and friend Stefan Pildes, World Hoop Day is a not-for-profit organization that uses a community-based, grass roots approach to provide one-of-a-kind "hula" hoops. The durable, adult-sized hoops can be used their entire life as a simple and effective way to bring joy to an otherwise devastating situation.

http://www.worldhoopday.com/

09/09/09: from The Beatles to the apocalypse, 10 things to look out for on Wednesday
With just a few days to go until 09/09/09 - a date that excites marketing men almost as much as it does numerologists - here's a tongue-in-cheek round-up of what to expect.
By Matthew Moore
Published: 3:50PM BST 07 Sep 2009

1) The Beatles: Rock Band goes on sale
The computer game that children, parents and even grandparents can enjoy together finally hits shops on Wednesday. The release date was selected with a nod to the band's song Revolution 9, with its "number nine, number nine, number nine" refrain - a marketing opportunity so good they've used it twice. (see below)

2) Remastered Beatles albums go on sale too
Over the past four years every album in the Beatles back catalogue has been digitally remastered at Abbey Road studios. Now they are being made available both as single albums - with expanded sleevenotes and rare photos - and a box set. Completists can also splash out on a second box set in mono rather than stereo.

3) Apple announces something big (possibly to do with The Beatles)
The teasingly secretive tech giant has invited a hand-picked audience to a press conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. Steve Jobs and co are keeping quiet about what they plan to unveil, but have dropped enough hints to ensure feverish speculation.

The invitation shows a silhouetted woman dancing to music from an iPod, with the caption "It's only rock and roll, but we like it", sparking rumours that the long-awaited deal to make Beatles (them again) tracks available on iTunes has finally been struck. But why would the band agree to split the Penny Lane pound by releasing remastered CDs and MP3s on the same day?

4) Cats vanish from the internet
Whimsical trend blog Urlesque have christened 09/09/09 A Day Without Cats on the Internet, urging other websites to ban amusing cat videos and pictures from their pages for 24 hours. They write: "Cats rule the internet... but whether you're a bona fide cat lady who loves it all, or someone who can't stand the over-population of cats on the interwebs, we can all agree that cats need a break."

A poll to find an alternative animal meme for the day indicated strong support for rabbits (16 per cent), just ahead of turtles (14 per cent) and goats (13 per cent).

5) Fantasy film 9 released
Given its title, the name of the Elijah Wood-voiced lead (9), and the number of major characters (also 9), it is almost as if this post-apocalyptic animation was dreamed up with the release date in mind. In fact, the feature length film is an adaptation of an Oscar-nominated short released in 2005. The plot centres on nine dolls, known as stitchpunks, created by a scientist to keep the human soul alive after military machines take over the planet.

6) Barack Obama addresses Congress
The US president will seek to erode opposition to his healthcare reform programme with a prime time televised speech to a joint session of Congress. Uncertainty about Mr Obama's personal views on the detail of the proposed bill has hampered Democrat attempts to win over sceptics.. "People will leave the speech knowing where he stands," said Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, promising that the president will "draw some lines in the sand".

7) The 'biggest ever' Twitter Tea Party protest
Shortly after Mr Obama sits down, opponents of his fiscal stimulus package will attempt to take over the micro-blogging website with anti-tax hashtags . The online gathering, planned for 9pm, comes three days before thousands of libertarians and fiscal conservatives are expected to assemble on Capitol Hill as part of a "March on Washington" . The Tea Party protest movement takes its name from the 1773 Boston Tea Party, with the initials appropriated to spell out "Taxed Enough Already".

8 ) England qualify for the 2010 World Cup...
... if they beat Croatia at Wembley. Fabio Capello's side are in fine form and top Group 6, but the last time they had a chance to qualify for a major tournament by beating the Croatians at home, they flunked it.

9) Derren Brown wins the lottery
The self-confessed conman will attempt his most intriguing stunt yet on Wenesday night - guessing at least five of the six Lotto numbers minutes live on Channel 4 minutes before they are drawn. "This the culmination of a LOT of secret work and research," Brown wrote on his blog. "I apologise now if it goes boobs-up." Win or lose, he will explain his method in a full-length show on Friday.

10) The end of the world
Numerologists who predicted doomsday would fall on June 6 2006 weren't wrong, they just got their numbers upside down. 999 is far worse than 666 and we're all going to die, it appears. This video explains everything.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... esday.html

linesmachine said:
There's also been some Mayan "End of calender" type of date prediction, I'm pretty sure that passed too?

The Mayan Long Count Calendar will end around December 23rd 2012 - which is good because we don't miss the Olympics or the European Championships.

Although new age flakes cite this as the 'end of the world' (one can only hope in their case) actually it is just the end of an era categorized by the Mayans and the start of another one.

I guess it could involve some form of carnage but not really the end of the world...maybe the 'end of civilization'.

If we're lucky.

Well, since there have been dire predictions for nearly every similar set of dates, I'm not expecting it to be any more catastrophic than the others (and 6-6-06 turned out to be a very nice day for me in fact :lol:)

It would be just my luck if I were wrong this time...

bunnymousekit...shame on you, didn't you see the bit about banning cute cats on the internet today?

Emergency services couples rush to make their wedding date 9/9/9 :D
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:06 AM on 09th September 2009

For couples who work in the emergency services, today is the perfect date to get married.

Four police officers and two firefighters have chosen to tie the knot on the ninth day of the ninth month in 2009 - making their wedding date 999.

PC Jacqueline Felton, 30, and PC Michael Aldred, 29, will say their vows today on 09/09/09 - a date which only comes along once every 100 years.

The two officers had originally planned to marry on August 8 last year but switched the date when they realised they had a once-in-a-lifetime chance.
Jacqueline proposed to Michael last February - a leap year - and the Devon and Cornwall police officers, who met at college, say today is the 'perfect date' for them to marry.

Jacqueline said: ''We're really looking forward to it - it will be a great day. I'm a bit nervous now but also very excited.
'We thought we would go for the 9/9/9 as we saw the significance and thought it was a great idea.'

The couple have been together for the past ten years after meeting on a night out when they were both students.
Michael, of Plymouth, Devon, said: 'We're both police. We love our jobs and each other so we couldn't resist marrying on 9/9/9.
'The next time that date will come along will be the next century so we had to go for it. It does mean marrying on a Wednesday but we're both hard-pressed coppers so we thought it would be cheaper to get married mid week.'
The couple will marry at a ceremony at the Boringdon Hall Hotel in Plymouth.

Like Jacqueline and Michael, Surrey police officers Rene Murdoch and Tina Anscombe will also marry today.

Tina, a beat officer in Woking, admitted: 'I've ensured Rene will never be able to have the excuse of forgetting our wedding anniversary.'

Firefighters Mike Dyer and Barbara James are hoping for a warm reception when they too walk down the aisle later.
Electrician Mike, 49, a retained firefighter for 30 years, said: 'We wanted a way of involving the service and what could be more exciting for a bride than to go to her wedding in a fire engine.
'If you told me, when I joined up 30 years ago, I would end up marrying a firefighter from my own station I would never have believed it.'
Barbara, 40, who joined as a retained firefighter a year ago, said: 'I met Mike when we worked together in a hotel in Tetbury.
'He was always rushing off to a fire or something and I thought, "I could do that."
'When we got together we talked about it and at first I wondered whether I would be able to do it or whether I might be scared.
'But when I talked to other women in the service, I realised I was being silly and decided to go for it.'
The couple, from Tetbury, Gloucestershire, will marry at Stroud Register Office at 2pm after the bride is driven to the ceremony on a fire engine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0Qbad9DP2

linesmachine said:
bunnymousekit...shame on you, didn't you see the bit about banning cute cats on the internet today?

Yes, but I'm er...protesting the ban.

In other words, too lazy to change my avatar. :lol:

Back