• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Big Puzzle (Chaos & Gridlock Caused by Sales & Shopping)

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
A few days ago I was with relatives and they were talking about the chaos caused by the sales, with particular regard to Cribbs Causeway in Bristol. They said that there had been 3 hour tailbacks on the motorways to get in, not to mention the problems to do with parking, people interviewed on the radio said they went just to look, they had nothing in particular in mind.

Why?

I mean you dont have to go to all that fuss and bother to get bargains these days. I do almost all my shopping on the Net now. (With the notable exception of groceries, living on my own its not economical) very seldom do I go into town and never when its busy.

Is this a case of mass hysteria?

Homo Aves said:
Is this a case of mass hysteria?

Herding instict! Why do all those sheep move under a tree and then get zapped by a well-placed bolt of lightning? Why do Americans go to a bar known to "be frequented by Americans" and get blown up by a car bomb?

Homo Aves said:
A few days ago I was with relatives and they were talking about the chaos caused by the sales, with particular regard to Cribbs Causeway in Bristol. They said that there had been 3 hour tailbacks on the motorways to get in, not to mention the problems to do with parking, people interviewed on the radio said they went just to look, they had nothing in particular in mind.
I was stuck in it, matey :(. Problem in particular with Cribbs is that it's right next to the M4/M5 interchange, between two major arteries into the city (on which you have to travel to access the complex itself), and the entire area encompasses the Mall itself and three other seperate , smaller retail parks, all off the same dual carriageway, not to mention a big Asda and a big Morrisons opposite one another. To cap it all, there's an insane one way system, poorly signposted, and if you're not familiar with the area you can easily overshoot the entire shebang and end up in the suburbs.

All that said, we were stuck in the car park for over an hour, and there did seem to be lots of people returning to their cars with just one small bag, or indeed none at all. Madness!

I tend to avoid out of town retail parks because

a) lack of car
b) lack of money

I do like window shopping though (but have never actually bought any windows) ;)

Jane.

Out-of-town retail parks are Ok if you have
a. a car
b. money
c. a large bladder. Bogs seem few and far between.

There's one in Crewe just outside the town centre with Carpet World, Currys etc- quite a big place, with a fast food outlet too- but no 'comfort stations' of any kind, not even a chair to sit on while your other half negotiates a discount on a widescreen telly.

The only shopping I'd do there is of the whistle-stop, one-of-those-please-don't-bother-wrapping-it-I'm-off-now-thank-you type. Not a pleasant experience.

Couple of years ago it was being taken over at night now and then for illegal car racing. (Didn't our own dear Mr Chopper know a lot about that particular sport?) All it was good for really.:mad:

No, I see no point to them. (says she who has no money at the moment and most of her consumer durables are given to her by those same people who get brand new ones in the January sales each year, saves them taking it down the tip you see)

But I have bought rugs on the Net...Just finished the compulsory haggling with that nice man in Tehran who doesnt mind speaking english, though it is as not as suitable language as farsi for rug transactions, its just that so many of the rug buying public use it these days. It is friday and he says it will take some time because of the weekends...anyway, it is breaking the back of the postman by monday.

When they say carpets dont fly dont believe them.

Back