• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Bizarre & Nasty Haunting

RealPaZZa

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I was asked in another thread to commit this to text, so here goes. This still scares the S*** out of me, not because its on par with Stephen King, but because it happened to my family, in a house I knew, most people will probably read this and think “big deal”, as would I if I didnt know the people in it, the house and that its 100% true.

Everyone in this except my mother are now dead and I dont want to bother her with this as I know it disturbs her too, so its from memory, I havent added or changed anything though, its as it was told to me 20+ years ago.

The house is situated in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, UK. I wont give the street address as its very unfair if anyone starts bothering the current owners, especially if the house is now “quiet”. If anyone has a genuine reason to know the street address you can always PM me and give your reasons for wanting the full address.

This starts in the late 1930s. The house is a big terrace house, lots of rooms, looks average sized from the outside, but goes back a long way so its big. I still have the bill of sale for the house, they paid a massive £500 for it, which was a lot then, all of you with a mortgage can start crying now :)

My father had an Uncle called “Frank”, he was my grandmothers brother, he was a very talented artist (I have some of his work and some of his photograph albums too), for a job he drew master pictures that became labels that went on food packaging etc. Frank came to live with my Grandparents shortly after they married. Frank and his friends where very interested in communicating with each-other in dreams and they are supposed to have achieved such, giving each-other messages etc. in their sleep, this of course I cannot prove, or say is 100% true. Because of his success with dreams Frank tried other things too, after a lot of work he could slam doors upstairs just by thinking, hed say “My bedroom door”, concentrate and then “BANG” it slammed, pretty impressive stuff. They where considered little more than “party tricks” by my grandparents, maybe Frank was just good at tricking them?

After a year or so Frank moved out of my grandparents house onto pastures new and I have no idea what happened to him after this, I never thought to ask while relatives where living and now sadly its too late, I now know I SHOULD have.

Thats when the trouble started. Doors slammed on their own, there was a bad feeling upstairs, it soon became evident that Frank wasnt playing tricks on my Grandparents, but also he wasnt doing it with his mind, something was doing it for him and it was a THING – all I can say about this is whatever it was no longer had a master.

I dont know what happened up to post WWII, then my Grandfather was a baker, he worked in Skegness, Lincolnshire, UK. He used to push bike to work on a Sunday night, about a 3 hour ride (I'm guessing the time based on the distance) and then bike home on Friday morning. This left my Grandmother and my father (an only child) alone in the house. My father was now a teenager. He told me about how my Grandmother wouldnt go up to bed at night because “a face was staring at her through the banisters”, she used to sleep downstairs, he used to try to get her to go up to bed, im unsure of whether he was successful.

When my parents got married they lived in my grandparents house as there was lots of room, one night my father woke up in the middle of the night and went to the toilet (the house was fortunate enough to have an upstairs toilet). In the darkness, half asleep, on his way back to the bedroom he remembered moving to one side to let someone pass him on the landing, it wasnt my mother or either of his parents, no-one else was in the house. He arrived in his bedroom shaking in a cold sweat, my parents then put a deposit down on the house I was to grow up in. I understand this event was a catalyst in them leaving.

As children my younger brother and myself visited my grandparents with my parents on a Sunday afternoon. The golden rule of the house was NO-ONE IS ALLOWED UPSTAIRS. One afternoon my brother was sat on the bottom stair, he was about 7. My mother kept calling him to come into the back room, he never arrived, after a couple of minutes my father went to fetch him. My 7 year old brother was cold, sweating, had tears streaming down his face and couldnt move.

I remember I was always afraid of the middle rooms window, it seems totally illogical and for no reason, but it always seemed menacing, as if it was watching me, this was of course stupid, but its a memory I have from childhood.

After a stroke and complications, my grandfather died in the 1970s, leaving my grandmother alone in the house, when we visited her we entered through the front door, walked past the front room that was her bedroom, down a long hall into the middle room, when we entered the middle room she always looked scared, as if we werent necessarily going to be who we where. This look of course I didnt understand, its only since ive thought about all this ive drawn this conclusion.

My grandmother became frail but she had her wits about her, she taught me to play chess, someone who “wasnt with it” probably couldnt do such. She even let me win occasionally in true grandmother style. The neighbors used to help her, if she needed them shed knock on the wall to next-door and they come round and see what the problem was. One day they came round every 15 minutes, answering my grandmothers knock, only she hadnt knocked, not even once all day.

One evening my grandmother, alone in the house as usual, felt something pushing against her, pushing and pushing, trying to push her over, eventually she lost he balance and she was pushed over, next door heard her knock on the wall and came around to see what the problem was, shed had a bad fall, an ambulance was called, shed broken her hip, strange thing was she was nowhere near the wall to next-door and she didnt recall knocking. She never returned to the house and finished her days staying with us and then in an OAP home.

My parents cleared out the house, my brother and I went with my parents to the house a couple of times, we werent allowed out of their sight, when my father needed to collect his old national service kit bag from upstairs (he felt obliged to keep) my mother took my brother and I into the front garden then my father went upstairs to find his bag.

The house was eventually sold, I do remember it being on sale again within a year.

PS As a teenager my hobby was photography, my father taught me to develop and print my own black and white pictures, I once asked him if hed ever tried photographing what was in the house, the look of horror on his face stopped me perusing that line of questioning further, perhaps he had photographed it, I have 1000s of his negatives, I havent found anything like that in them yet though.

Im sure there is more to this story that I dont know, but this is all I can remember, I have lost sleep on the odd night thinking about it and its the reason Im not 100% content in darkness. Many of you may laugh at this and yes I will probably scorn your ghost stories, although I dont consider what was in the house to be a ghost, it was a “thing” somehow Frank had got control over, then abandoned and I believe it was pretty pi**** off with the situation it was left in.

I wonder if its still there?

I wouldn't be saying "big deal" to that at all!

Maybe Frank created a "tulpa" to help him do the slamming doors/party tricks but never reabsorbed the tulpa before he passed on.

You can google on "tulpa" if you haven't heard about them before. I think I've seen some forteantimes threads around this as well. Just did a search on the message board and it came back with 35 threads ;)

I certainly believe Frank created or "imprisoned" something in the house, I dont think its a ghost of a "dead person" (I dont even believe in ghosts as the spirits of the dead), which is why I say its a "thing", something we dont understand. I wish I knew all the facts of the case, although for my piece of mind, its probably better I dont.

Sounds like a jinn to me :eek!!!!:

In Arabic mythology, any of the supernatural spirits less powerful than angels or devils.

or genie plural jinn  Evil spirits of air or fire, they could take animal or human form and could dwell in inanimate objects or under the earth. They had the bodily needs of human beings and could be killed but were otherwise free of physical restraints. Jinn delighted in punishing humans for any harm done to them, but people who knew the proper magical procedure could exploit them to their own advantage. The jinn were popular subjects for folklore, notably in the tale of Aladdin in The Thousand and One Nights

http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article?t ... =jinni&ct=

Also...

http://www.hizmetbooks.org/Endless_Blis ... ss3_31.htm

http://fusionanomaly.net/jinn.html

http://www.geocities.com/aizaris/jinn.html[/quote]

Okay, I am so glad I am at work surrounded by other people after reading that!! :shock: Great story PaZZa it's a shame you don;t know what happened to Frank. You should try researching him.

It sounds like Frank was messing with things he didn't have a great deal of control over. It sounds like he created some force, but didn't release it when it was no longer required. I've heard that when this happens, the trapped elemental or 'thing' whatever you prefer, does indeed get very pissed off.

Perhaps it was released when Frank died, or perhaps the energy it was given to create it has started to weaken. Perhaps it doesn't bother anyone anymore. Is it possible, perhaps, to trace previous owners of the house to ask if they experienced anything?

Many of you may laugh at this

Not me... :shock:

I certainly don't think this 'thing' was a ghost as conventionally thought of, but was either a tulpa type thing, or an entity for whom Frank opened the door for.

Sounds like 'Frank' left in a hurry to get away from whatever it was.

Oh, I didn't read it like that. I just thought Frank moved on, in the normal way of things.

and theres more...

As far as I know, Frank moved on (as single people often do), not "got out fast", but you never know.

Ive remembered a few more small details;

The loft/attic door in the landing celing wasnt very conventional, it was like nothing I'd seen before, or since. It was made from red and blue stained glass (anyone else seen this before?) and there always seemed to be a small light source slightly illuminating it (possibly a skylight as the light stopped when it got dark, nothing like a skylight could be seen from the outside though). Shadows (that I fortunatly never saw move) could be made out behind the glass, there was certainly some inanimate objects in that loft, I saw all this from the bottom of the stairs, maybe it just added to the general feeling of the place, but I REALY didnt like this as a child.

When my parents where clearing the house out - There was a wardrobe size cupboard on the landing, neither my mother or father wanted to open it, they seemed to know what was in there, ornaments and general stuff they said. I was only a child but knowing what I know now they where both afraid of the inside of cupboard, perhaps they also knew what was realy inside there! The contents where left for whoever bought the house, my parents werent the sort to leave things behind, but seemed happy to leave whatever was in here. They also had no interest in looking in the loft, I remember my father telling me "theres nothing in there".

More info as I remember it! I think ill save this thread when its finished, cos none of this is written down and I suppose it should be saved as a "family ghost story".

It's quite strange that no-one seems to have stood up to the Thing, as it were. Well, you know, put their foot down; told it who's boss, that kind of thing.

Mind you, I threatened a poltergeist with a kitchen knife - what do I know? :D

Maybe someone did, I cant say either way, I certainly would have (as an adult), although not with a kitchen knife :)

My family where all Catholics (im not), who I THINK do believe in things like exorcism, I do think it was their moral duty to at least try to do something about the thing BEFORE selling the house. I did ask mum about this in later years, she tells me they did nothing.

Oh, Catholics wrote the book on exorcism. Literally. It's the Protestants that have the dubious relationship with exorcism and the spirit world in general.

But look at it another way - you say 'something' pushed your grandmother over; but 'something' also knocked the wall to call her neighbour to her assistance, something which may well have saved her life (perhaps - hip breaks can be quite nasty). So, perhaps there was something in the house, but it may not necessarily have been nasty. Or maybe there was something else there as well.

Ravenstone said:
Oh, Catholics wrote the book on exorcism. Literally. It's the Protestants that have the dubious relationship with exorcism and the spirit world in general.

But look at it another way - you say 'something' pushed your grandmother over; but 'something' also knocked the wall to call her neighbour to her assistance, something which may well have saved her life (perhaps - hip breaks can be quite nasty). So, perhaps there was something in the house, but it may not necessarily have been nasty. Or maybe there was something else there as well.

From what I've read, poltergeists can be very mischeivous, but are rearely very malevolent to the ponit where they try to seriously injure someone.if they start a fire, it's always where someone will see it straight away, and be able to put it out etc. They're very childish, really. Maybe this one thought it would be funny to push over an old woman, but then realised it had done something very serious, and so tried to put it right, by calling the neighbours.

Quite the strange story !!! I simply don't understand why you're so insistant that nothing 'Fortean' has happened to you (?!) This is a truly spooky tale indeed, the only thing it lacks is Uncle Frank reading the Necronomicon in his spare time !!!

I have thought about this quite a lot, why push her over then knock for help? I suspect the thing didnt like people in "its house" (after all a person is responsible for its creation or imprisonment), perhaps this was its way of getting rid of my grandmother (and it worked, she never returned). This action certainly shows an intelligance, knowing to knock for help. Im not sure about 2 things there, its certainly a idea though.

Its the face in the bannisters that realy scares me, was this its face, or one it created to scare my grandmother with?

It didnt happen to me though, I saw nothing, heard nothing and was only "spooked" a little as a child in the way most children can be spooked about something at some stage. But I suppose up to posting the story here to share with you guys, I was the "keeper of the story", as apart from my aged mother (who is no longer keen to talk about this), im the only living person who knows this and this is probably as close as i'll ever get to something fortean happening to me.

The face in the bannister intrigues me as well. It's a shame you don't have a description of it. It may have simply been a trick of the light, or something of that nature, which your grandmother just labelled as being the face of the Thing. Not everything that happened in the house can necessarily be attributed to the Thing, after all.

I'd be very interested to know what scared your father so much. What did he see? What rationalisation did they give to not opening the wardrobe? It's all very strange.

i agree not everything can be the thing, my unease about the loft door and the window are just that - unease, not fact.

All I know about my fathers experiances there I think I've already typed (unless I remember more), everyone seemed to "tiptoe" around some things, or maybe im reading more into it than there is.

I remember my mother telling me about my father seeing the face too, but this was after my father had died so I couldnt ask him about it. As far as I know it was a pale grey face looking out from the darkness, it didnt "glow" or anything, my grandmother saw it often and it was generally looking through the bannisters at HER, id already suggested to my parents it was lights from outside, reflections from streetlights or even an overactive imagination, but everyone seemed very adamant the face was seen and it was a face not a light etc.

Here I ask was it trying to be seen and scare my grandmother, or was it actually watching her?

I normally doubt anything im told about ghosts etc, and I also doubted this story initially, but most events have more than 1 person that can say events happened, so me suggesting its someone with an overactive imagination, reflections etc it kinda blown out of the water so to speak.

I have a vague recollection about a realy loud banging on the stairs heard by everyone, i think ill have to have a chat to mum and see if she'll co-operate.

Hmm....okay. Face it was.

As to its intention, I'd have to say I haven't a clue. It would depend on whether it was a particularly scary face, I suppose. Mind you, a disembodied face on the stairs could have the friendliest smile imaginable and it would still freak me out!

I wonder WHY it had a face? I mean, I think we all pretty much agree it wasn't a typical haunting, with a name and a face; it sounds more like a poltergeist or energy force created by Frank and, when left unattended, it became a poltergeist. Polts don't normally show themselves.

Definitely strange.

I do hope your mother can shed some light. I hope it doesn't cause her any distress. It is fascinating though.

PaZZa said:
Here I ask was it trying to be seen and scare my grandmother, or was it actually watching her?

Why not both? Although I'd think such 'things' could remain unseen if they wanted to, and still watch people.:eek!!!!:

I have a vague recollection about a realy loud banging on the stairs heard by everyone, i think ill have to have a chat to mum and see if she'll co-operate.

That'd be really interesting, although many people really like talking about such subjects, as it can really muck around with your view of the world. Often people just prefer to forget about odd happenings such as this - although this cleaerly seems too big to forget.

Ravenstone said:
Polts don't normally show themselves.

Definitely strange.

That's very true - in fact I've never heard of one that did show itself at all, although I'm no expert on the subject.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of Gef.

My mother is quite uncomfortable talking about such things. Mind you, I'd rather talk about them during daylight hours! :D

Ravenstone said:
Off the top of my head, I can only think of Gef.

Can he really be classified as a polt? Did he have periods of being an unseen entity?

Begs the question why a polt would decide to manifest as an Indian talking mongoose.

GiantRobot said:
Can he really be classified as a polt? Did he have periods of being an unseen entity?

Begs the question why a polt would decide to manifest as an Indian talking mongoose.

1. He was unseen for periods. I'd class him as a polt for convenience as much as anything.

2. Because he could! :D

Absolutely! paZZa, that is fortean, whether it happened to you or not. It is a truly frightening tale, whether it was a 'ghost' in the conventional sense or not . . .

It certainly sounds like the family knew more than they ever let on to you . . . and with the bits that you have passed on, I wouldn't say they were gullible at all for believing something was there with them.

-Fitz

Ive phoned mum and im going to see her later, I think ill point out shes the last one alive that experianced this and she ought to tell me more about it.

maybe ill get lucky.

Re: and theres more...

PaZZa said:
When my parents where clearing the house out - There was a wardrobe size cupboard on the landing, neither my mother or father wanted to open it, they seemed to know what was in there, ornaments and general stuff they said. I was only a child but knowing what I know now they where both afraid of the inside of cupboard, perhaps they also knew what was realy inside there! The contents where left for whoever bought the house, my parents werent the sort to leave things behind, but seemed happy to leave whatever was in here. They also had no interest in looking in the loft, I remember my father telling me "theres nothing in there".

Hey PaZZa ~ if you do talk to your mom about this, be sure to ask her about the cupboard and the loft. Your ghost story is also a very compelling mystery.

I don't think I've ever been haunted per se, but I may have interacted with some (otherworldly?) presences a few times. I think that each time I interacted with (an entity?), my emotional 'response' was in fact what (the entity?) was feeling. I think maybe telepathically conveying their emotional state is how they are inclined to communicate with us. I interpret their fumbling efforts to speak, write and visually manifest as evidence that they're trying to 'learn' to communicate with us in a manner we are more conventionally used to understanding. Let's face it, if most of us feel an emotion, we assume it is our own. If we feel terrified, we likely assume something is menacing us, rather than something is being menaced by us and trying to let us know. Perhaps in the absence of your dads uncle, your family began to inadvertantly haunt the thing. Maybe years of being haunted by your family finally impelled the thing to attack your grandmother and drive her out of the house for good.

I'm not blaming the vicim or anything, just sharing my take on this account based on my own personal experiences. Obviously hauntings take many forms and can be attributed to a variety of causes, few of which are anywhere near objective.

(Cool post btw) :D

Earlier I had a chat with mum, she told me some stuff, remembering events in the house clearly distresses her.

I asked about the noise on the stairs, this is what she told me. It was the late-1960s, my mother, father, grandmother and grandfather where in the back room, my brother was there, but as a baby, she thinks I was at her mothers house, it was a nice summers day, she thinks a Saturday afternoon. She said my father described the noise like this – Take a large 1950s style double wardrobe, then push it down the stairs, that was how loud and destructive it sounded. All 4 people rushed into the hall to find nothing whatsoever, then there was a knock at the front door, the neighbour was there (from the other side, not the “knock on the wall” ones). Hed come to see if everything was ok, himself and his wife thought the chimney had fallen through the roof, but it hadnt. Everyone had a good look around, there was nothing out of place, no marks on the wall around the stairs, or anywhere, nothing whatsoever. The noise had definatly come from the stairs, as if something very large had fallen down them. She added that there where no strange happenings or even a face in the bannisters for many months afterwards. My thoughts on this are it was possibly whatever was upstairs trying to come downstairs?

It wasnt a “hardcore” haunting, for months on end nothing would happen, then youd get a period of events that where very bizarre, then theyd just stop again, there seemed to be no catalyst to the start or stopping. The face in the banisters was often there though, I suggested it was patterns in the wallpaper, but the wall was painted brown, no wallpaper.

I asked further about the face in the bannisters, she told me that my father was the one to ask about that, so a dead end there. I asked if dad had ever tried to photograph the face, she told me he had but she never saw the result and he wouldnt even talk about it to her. I feel I should look through his large collection of negatives, but if he wouldnt even talk about it, im sure he will have unfortunatly destroyed any results.

Then she told me about Frank and the communicating through dreams (she didnt witness this of course, it was before she knew my father). This was told to my mother by my grandmother - Frank got up one morning and asked my grandmother for his new towel, she was rather lost here and didnt know what he was talking about. Later that day a friend of Franks (name and identity unknown) arrived at the house and asked Frank if he got his present – a towel, hed given it to him in their apparent joint dream.

She told me that my grandparents had a phone connected by the post office in the early 1970s, after 3 weeks they had it disconnected again – no-one does that without reason, she wouldnt elaborate though, but im sure she knows why.

She doesnt know what happened to Frank, all she could tell me was he preferred male company to female, so there is a good chance are there where no descendants.

Then she went on to tell me about her father in India, when he was in the army and a rather ghostly experience that ill go into another time. I interprited this a subject change, because when I tried to change things back to the house she said she didnt want to discuss it further, because she feels sorry for my father as a child growing up there – and so do I!

Im now convinced there was more, probably much more, mum did say that my fathers family felt responsible for the “haunting” (Franks doing) and thats probably why they didnt ask for help with it. Frank certainly bit off more than he could chew. Also a lot of the events ill probably never know.

Back