• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Booming Noise That Repeats And Then Stops

tagemoss

Junior Acolyte
i live in Colchester, Essex, UK.

every few days and sometimes a few weeks apart i hear a booming noise that repeats for i guess 4-5 times, maybe less and maybe more, i don't take note of the pattern, i never look at the clock to see when it occurs but today i heard it @ 12pm as i happened to glance at my bedroom clock.

i've previously googled to see if there are any fracking operations in my area but the nearest ones are Norfolk, that i could find on various online maps.

just wondering anyone else round the UK has heard a repeating boom / rumble ? it's not a sonic boom as i know what that sounds like.

i've heard some loud noises in the last few years, 2008, my last year at Bucks New Uni i heard the Bacton explosion from High Wycombe.
at home lightning stuck the telegraph pole right outside our house one night, blew the box clean off, ended up wedged in our hedge out front, the surge of electricty fried my pc which was on standby and travelled down our road stopping at a random house and blew out all their electrics.
recently (a few months back) i got woke in the morning by a massive bang like a transformer exploding or a lighting strike, never found out what it was, nothing on the news and the weather was clear.

Last edited:
good idea, thanks.

ok, had a look, not sure i can be bothered to do anything as it doesn't bother me, i just wonder what it is.

every few days and sometimes a few weeks apart i hear a booming noise that repeats for i guess 4-5 times, maybe less and maybe more, i don't take note of the pattern, i never look at the clock to see when it occurs but today i heard it @ 12pm as i happened to glance at my bedroom clock.

i've previously googled to see if there are any fracking operations in my area but the nearest ones are Norfolk, that i could find on various online maps.

just wondering anyone else round the UK has heard a repeating boom / rumble ? it's not a sonic boom as i know what that sounds like.

i've heard some loud noises in the last few years, 2008, my last year at Bucks New Uni i heard the Bacton explosion from High Wycombe.
at home lightning stuck the telegraph pole right outside our house one night, blew the box clean off, ended up wedged in our hedge out front, the surge of electricty fried my pc which was on standby and travelled down our road stopping at a random house and blew out all their electrics.
recently (a few months back) i got woke in the morning by a massive bang like a transformer exploding or a lighting strike, never found out what it was, nothing on the news and the weather was clear.

A quick Google search tells me that Fingringhoe, very close to Colchester, has an army firing range, as do Middlewick Ranges and Friday Woods.

This gov.uk website has a list of firing times for the eastern region; I wonder if they match your reports of loud booms? https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/east-region-firing-times

every few days and sometimes a few weeks apart i hear a booming noise that repeats for i guess 4-5 times...

7 (Parachute) Regiment Royal Horse Artillery is based in Merville Barracks, Colchester. They use the L118 light gun. They are organised into six-gun batteries.

I don’t think they’d be antisocial enough to fire off 105mm rounds in barracks, but might there be some sort of - training equipment? simulator? reduced charge/blank/primer only rounds? - that could account for the noise?

maximus otter

Last edited:
We had a boom that would be heard quite often, sounded like something heavy had gone off,
we do every now and then get a sonic boom or a boom from bomb disposal on the beach
but I did not think it was one of these as it happen'd to often, in the end I tracked it down
to the outside vent from the central heating boiler, the end plate was expanding as it warmed
up till it reached the point were it went from slightly convex to concave or the other way about
and this was the boom, it did not sound like a noise such a thin piece of metal would make but
putting a strengthening piece across the end plate cured it.

Named back when we didn't all have dirty minds. :p not the worst place name i can think of, there's one place in Austria which has it's sign stolen quite a bit, probably named so before the word was repurposed like other words have been over the ages.

What's the place name?

Back