• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Childhood Experience

The description of the inn made me think of the Crown and Cushion pub and Meade Hall in Minley woods near the Surrey/Hampshire border.
There's a cricket ground right next to the Meade Hall, where I play occasionally. The premises date from 16th century and are allegedly haunted:

PSX_20181126_092432.jpg

My initial thought was travellers, hence the accent question.

My second thought: Re-enactors?

images

Victorian2.jpg

511xXwySQjL._UY445_.jpg

maximus otter

Hi Gho
If you or someone you know has Ancestry.com, might be worth looking that place up in the Victorian censuses - although that is quite a few decades' worth - it won't take too long if there aren't too many other pubs on the street, (as they're not usually listed by name, just house number). I'd also run a search on a 19thC newspaper database but then I'm a nerd like that. I grew up in a 'badly' haunted house (is the only word I can think for it) and as I research for what I stupidly call a 'living', have often tried to find out about whoever lived in that house in the 19thC (as our ghost too, wore generic 'Victorian' clothing but nothing specific enough to have a rough idea of the decade and like you, I was only a kid when I saw it, so had no sense of clothing history yet). Try as I might, I can't find out about anything ever happening there - and according to the census, it was usually lived in by a farmer (what I think I probably saw, that or a labourer), his family and the occasional servant. But although it looked like a terraced house when I lived in it, we'd always known it used to be a farmhouse (the rest of the terrace got built along from it, until what had been a farm in a field became a street).

You may have more luck and find something. If the building was always a pub - things happened in pubs in the nineteenth century (fights, inquests, people about to be hung stopping by for a last drink, body snatchers used them as bases in Georgian times...

Also once saw a 'mucky' ghost - and he reminded me of nothing so much as the tramps I used to see in Leeds station when I was a kid. Those people were dirty on a whole new level - dirty like you never see now, not even homeless people look like tramps (and probably many people who weren't, in the past) used to look.

Hi Ghost in the Machine - I think the property was used as residence back then, the conversion to a bar/restaurant is definitely modern. I may try to look up some info about who was living there in past centuries (and I'm guessing there were maids/gardeners and such as well)

Know what you mean when you say unwashed in a way you just don't really see today (not just a stain here or there or unwashed hair or an old outfit), this was ground in dirt, soil, torn clothes, unwashed for weeks kind of thing - they looked like street urchins from a period drama but not nearly as polished as they would be on TV, you just don't see that sort of thing!

Must have been very scary living in a badly haunted house - wouldn't have wanted to run into your resident farmer!

H
My initial thought was travellers, hence the accent question.

My second thought: Re-enactors?

images

Victorian2.jpg

511xXwySQjL._UY445_.jpg

maximus otter
Hi Maximus Otter

We do have irish travellers in the area but they dress much more modern - decked out in all the latest gear, spray tans, fake nails, gold bling bling - wouldn't ever dress like victorians! Not familiar with any other types of travellers in the local area, they're all Irish (as far as i know)

And of course it's possible they were re-enactors, but it was just those 2 in a very secluded area, no adults, no other kids. And with how ripped up their clothes were & how grubby they were i'd say the costume was a little bit too authentic!

However it was about 23 years ago & i was only a child myself, so we'll probably never know.

We can tell the difference still today between people trying to look poor (hipsters with there Andy Cap flat caps etc) and genuinely poor people that still have a ground in dirt, tired ..

The description of the inn made me think of the Crown and Cushion pub and Meade Hall in Minley woods near the Surrey/Hampshire border.
There's a cricket ground right next to the Meade Hall, where I play occasionally. The premises date from 16th century and are allegedly haunted:

View attachment 13259
Hi Bless my cotton socks - not unlike this place, however the building is 18th century and looks more spread out (i mean more greenery, wider spaces, you could pretend you were in the country) - it's on the croydon/surrey border, sort of enclosed & protected from the urban around it.

Bet your 16th century place has it's fair share of ghosts, so much life & history!

I
We can tell the difference still today between people trying to look poor (hipsters with there Andy Cap flat caps etc) and genuinely poor people that still have a ground in dirt, tired ..

I don't think hipster fashion has got quite that authentic yet haha

Hi Bless my cotton socks - not unlike this place, however the building is 18th century and looks more spread out (i mean more greenery, wider spaces, you could pretend you were in the country) - it's on the croydon/surrey border, sort of enclosed & protected from the urban around it.

Bet your 16th century place has it's fair share of ghosts, so much life & history!

It has! And I've just remembered having a couple of ales there after cricket maybe 4 years ago, when some guys came in dressed in Civil War era garb. I assumed they were Sealed Knot members quenching their thirst after a hard day's reenactment. ...... Or were they? ;)

It has! And I've just remembered having a couple of ales there after cricket maybe 4 years ago, when some guys came in dressed in Civil War era garb. I assumed they were Sealed Knot members quenching their thirst after a hard day's reenactment. ...... Or were they? ;)

Ah now, interestingly the pubs round'ere have long banned one lot of Civil War re-enactors for drunken rowdiness. So if they rolled up in the Red Cow I'd be expecting at least a cold shiver or two, well, either that or the whole lot chucked out on their necks by a furious landlady.

We've done various periods living history over the years, and scared a few people without realising it, wandering around at night...

Last edited:
I'm surprised that everyone has targeted the ghost explanation when the experience more suggests time slip; or even "non human entities trying to entice children away"...

I'm surprised that everyone has targeted the ghost explanation when the experience more suggests time slip; or even "non human entities trying to entice children away"...
Both of which sound scarier! Thank goodness my chicken nuggets kids menu meal was almost ready :rollingw:

Both of which sound scarier! Thank goodness my chicken nuggets kids menu meal was almost ready :rollingw:
I'm a normally biassed towards time slips, but the strangely unexpressive voice of the little girl sounded a bit worrying, somewhat like those rather sinister black eyed children that knock on people's doors in the US and ask to be let in! But the chicken nuggets came to your rescue.

The one thing holding me back from mentally labelling it as a timeslip experience was Jacket Potato's recollection that the girl was wearing black shoes. I doubt any really poor family in, say, the mid-Victorian era would have spent money on shoes.

The one thing holding me back from mentally labelling it as a timeslip experience was Jacket Potato's recollection that the girl was wearing black shoes. I doubt any really poor family in, say, the mid-Victorian era would have spent money on shoes.
Maybe not, but it wouldn't have been impossible to get shoes by stealing, finding them amongst rubbish, etc. May be time slip, may be something else.

Hi Queen Griddle - i think they were black, however it was a long time ago and i was very young (and i'm still no expert on period clothing) so could be wrong on that. However overall it was still a very strange experience and it doesn't quite sit right with me

It was as though a couple of street urchins from a Dickens dramatisation were there, although grubbier and dirtier, very tattered. Sorry I don't know much about period clothing! It was enough to make me leave the area and go back to my parents and tell them what i'd seen & what the girl said - had the interaction seemed ordinary then I probably wouldn't have done that, i made friends easily & was very sociable. As to what I actually saw then who knows, but i suspect it was something strange, i've always thought so

Back