• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Close Encounter With Mr Fort!

byroncac

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I found the following anecdote today, congratulations must go to Jesse Glass for this discovery and its presentation in his brief article 'How Do We Pigeonhole That, Mr. Fort? (The link to it is given below).

"Rarely, nowadays, can anyone devise a startling title for a book. All the surprises and sensations have been tried. The author has to shout pretty loud or else use a big Damn.

A few years ago, a writer did exactly this, and produced a large and impressive book, whose title made everyone jump.

The contents were readable; there was evidence of great industry, and some indication of scholarship. It did not seem to be the work of a crank.

Yet when one came to discover what it was all about -and this required patience- the result showed that the author could not easily get a post as a teacher in any scientific institute. For its theme was this:

Great numbers of strange objects -usually called meteorites- have fallen to the earth throughout the centuries. (The author compiled an enormous list of them). These are supposed to be the results of celestial accidents: to be fragments of exploded comets or asteroids. But this theory is entirely wrong. These objects are weapons, thrown with mischievous intent at the inhabitents of the earth, by evil spirits dwelling in the skies.

I forgot how the author explained the bad marxmanship of these spirits -who have so seldom hit even a baby- nor why it is that so many of these missiles fall in waste places of the earth. (Of course, the firing is done at very long range, and the spirits may still be hopeful of knocking over somebody some day).

The author developed his theory in astyle which was, at least, sane; and, if I recollect, even showed some traces of humour -a quality extremely rare in those who practice eccentric literature. His book -which he has followed with another, also astonishing- may have been a hoax. In that case, the object of so much labour is still obscure. A few months after publication, tha author came to the public library, and -as authors sometimes do- asked to see his book. A copy was bought, and he promptly asked the meaning of the shelf mark; some letters or figures on the back. These symbols on library books, for convenience in placing them on the shelves, have a mysterious power to infuriate some people. The librarian, not aware that he was speaking to the author of the book, said that these marks indicate the class of 'Eccentric Literature' - perhaps he may have said 'Books by Cranks.'

There was an instant explosion; followed by weeks of complaint, scolding, and entreaty by the author, who demanded that his book should be classed with those on -well, I cannot imagine what. Astronomical theology? Or did he believe that it should have a class all by itself, and that the older astronomies should be destroyed?

In the end, I think he got part of his desire, but not all. The stubborn librarians would not endorse his amusing treatise as orthodox science. They have that peculiar conservatism: they admit books meant to prove that Bacon wrote Shakespearean plays, but refuse to throw out the ones which show that the earth is flat, but they still let the brutal majority of writers uphold their theory of rotundity.

Nevertheless, embarrassing moments will occur . . . ."

Queer Books
Edmund L. Pearson
(Doubleday, 1927)
Pages 145 - 147

Link to 'How Do We Pigeonhole That, Mr. Fort? by Jesse Glass:

www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/jg_hdwpt.htm

Some Thoughts:

We can safely conclude that the book in question is 'The Book of the Damned' published in 1919, clues in the text and the mention of an "astonishing" second book 'New Lands' published in 1923 are evidence for this. Forts' third book 'Lo!' was published four years after Edmund L. Pearsons' 'Queer Books'.

What is interesting is the time at which the librarians encounter with Fort occured. We have two certain dates, 1919 the date of the publication of Forts first book and 1927 the date of publication for Pearsons' book. In the anecdote Pearson states the incident occured "a few years ago" and Forts movements can help us pin the date down further. From December 1921 for eight and a half years Anne and Charles lived in London at there flat in Marchmont Street. Our scale of time shrinks to somewhere between (December) 1919 and (December) 1921 and is further reduced when in 1920 the Forts spent six months in England.

What follows is speculation, prejudice and assumption:- I believe the incident on which the anecdote took place happened sometime between the publication of The book of the Damned and the Fort's sojourn to London. Vanity drove Fort to seek out his newly published book on the shelves of the New York Public Library, it was after all the result of 45 years of experience, 4 years of writing and months of living hand to mouth.

The argument as into which catagory; in which group his book should be placed helps build a feeling of Forts state of mind at this critical time. Fort at this time was seemingly depressed and in the blackest of moods. In a letter to Theodore Drieser dated 7th November 1920 Fort wrote:

"Forces are moving me. I've cut ties with Albany, and published in the 'Tribune' my dissatisfaction with the New York Public Library, so that I can't very comfortably go back there, and have burned all my notes, 40,000 of them. Forces are moving me to London. Annie and I sail on the 27th. I hope you'll always write to me, once a year, c/o Messrs. Brown, Shipley & Co., 123 Pall Mall, London, SW. I have burned and destroyed and cut, but I have kept some letters - and may strange orthogenetic gods destroy me if I ever forget all that was done for me by Theodore Drieser! "[1]

What was Forts 'dissatifaction' with the New York Public Library? Do the few pages in 'Queer Books' offer the answer? Together the letter to Drieser and Pearsons lines in 'Queer Books' give an interesting snapshot into the life and mindset of Fort following the publication of The Book of the Damned.

The argument as to the classification of The Book of the Damned could have taken on a fortean slant itself. Seeing it under 'Eccentric Literature' Fort would rage and demand as it was a book of asteroids and comets it be moved to the 'Astronomy' shelves, the librarians would comply. The following day Fort returns and shouts that 'Astronomy' is all wrong and its about the discovery of a Super-Sargasso Sea so it should be moved to 'Geography', the librarians agree. Another day and Fort demands as his book contains accounts of the vertical migration of Frogs it should be listed under 'Biology', the librarians consent. And so it goes on until finaly Fort states that his work is a fiction, exasperated the librarians shake their heads and scream No!!!!!

[1] Charles Fort Prophet of the Unexplained - Damon Knight - P.168

Back