• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Couple Of Odd Childhood Memories

Adults VASTLY underestimate what children hear and see and are capable of retaining.

Yup, as a very young child - before I started school, aged about 4 - I used to tell my mother and the neighbours not to put their washing out because it would rain.

I was apparently always right, to the adults' amazement. Pretty sure I was listening to the weather forecast on the kitchen radio!

Last edited:
My other strange experience occurred approx a couple of years later. I used to accompany my dad to RAF cricket club matches which were played at Vine Lane Uxbridge.
One day I was exploring the grounds near the main road when I noticed a large black car coming up the road. This is going to sound ridiculous and will probably appear to be a flight of childish fancy but the car was identical to KITT from the TV show 'Knight Rider' even down to the red scanner on the front. I remember, even at that young age, thinking that this is impossible. That it is only a tv show, but I was and still am positive that is what I saw.
I do not recall any sound at all from the car, not even engine noise. Also the windows were dark tinted. The car then turned on to a gated road which my dad later informed me was Ministry Of Defence property.
The only logical explanation I can think of (other than an over active imagination) was that some MOD emplyee was a big fan of the show and bought a replica to show his buddies.
well if this makes you any more happy, you aren't alone, albert rosales, has found a lot of similar cosmic car experiences

well if this makes you any more happy, you aren't alone, albert rosales, has found a lot of similar cosmic car experiences
OP possibly not listening anymore H - his post is 9 years old, or are you in a timeslip? :)

Yep - ben77 hasn't been seen on the forum since May 2017.

Shame to hear the Air show is no more! Obviously with an Air Force dad I attended quite a few in my childhood and loved them!

Sounds like this beast story pops up every few years then? I guess you will get that kind of thing in areas that are so heavily wooded. Maybe starts with a well meaning mum like mine trying to stop her darling son trapseing off into the woods and bringing back his finds of dead rabbits etc?

I do feel sorry for kids today, apart from this scare I was pretty free to explore and have adventures in the woods. I had an idyllic 'Just William' childhood. I can't see that happening too much these days with all the tabloid scaremongering and whatnot.
I know the original post was a long time ago now but just wanted to add a little more to the Wendover woods account.
Back in the 1980s my motorcycle club used to run an annual hill climb and trial in Wendover Woods above the Halton RAF base -renting the land for the day from the Forestry commission. We used to get around 60-70 riders and I was almost always the secretary of the meeting, collecting entries, handing out rider numbers and working out results etc. One day in the mid to late 80s a group of 4 riders came back to my table and told me that while they were riding along a section of the more open trail they all saw a sandy coloured 'big cat' cross the track ahead some distance away and were struck by the length of its tail which curled at the end and was much longer, they all thought, than a domestic cat. Although I can't recall the exact year it was certainly around the time mentioned in the original post.

Odd childhood memory that popped ibto my head this morning - though it has resurfaced over the years. I could have been no older than 3 or 4. At my grandparents house in Wolverhampton. I had gobe to use the downstairs toilet (and the colour of the toilet itself has oddly stayed with - the kind of green used in 'camouflage' type material. Anyhow I was in there happily doing my business when I heard a voice - a voice which seemed to be in the room itself - say a single word - 'voices'. It was a woman's voice and the word was said with a sense if 'definiteness' as if it meant something. The word then repeated tself a number of times as an echo till it faded out. I remember myself own sense of dismal shock at this sudden intrusion, and presumed I ran back to my family. I imagine I'm misremembering a dream, or heard a voice in the room next door, or the years have twisted the memory from what it was - but in my memory it remains an odd thing - that single word repeated in an echo then fading out.

Odd childhood memory that popped ibto my head this morning - though it has resurfaced over the years. I could have been no older than 3 or 4. At my grandparents house in Wolverhampton. I had gobe to use the downstairs toilet (and the colour of the toilet itself has oddly stayed with - the kind of green used in 'camouflage' type material. Anyhow I was in there happily doing my business when I heard a voice - a voice which seemed to be in the room itself - say a single word - 'voices'. It was a woman's voice and the word was said with a sense if 'definiteness' as if it meant something. The word then repeated tself a number of times as an echo till it faded out. I remember myself own sense of dismal shock at this sudden intrusion, and presumed I ran back to my family. I imagine I'm misremembering a dream, or heard a voice in the room next door, or the years have twisted the memory from what it was - but in my memory it remains an odd thing - that single word repeated in an echo then fading out.
What was the word dagnabbit?

Back