• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Drink (Or Other Casual Encounter) With The Devil

The Devil prefers Cards to Dominoes

Its a very common tale in scottish literature/history. Weve got the de'il playing the pipes in Robert Burn's Tam O Shanter, A tale clearly intended to scare the living s**t out of children and warn of the dangers of to much drink.

Glamis Castle Perthshire Scotland birthplace of the English Queens mother has a devil & drunken Laird card game which ended with the bricking up of a room... through the wall you can still here the card game being played!.... well so its said.

Findhorn village, Murrayshire Scotland, was swallowed up by the sand (little known fact that the area (Culban Sands) was once Scotlands only official desert - they subsequently planted a forest over it to stop more erosion). The village was relocated to further along the coast with the impending approach of the sand. Years later as the story goes one of the relocated village lads was crossing the sands where he spied a chimney ( apparently you can still see some of the remains of the old villiage). he crept up and looked down the chimney and .... yes you guessed it... the de'il playing cards with the laird, they were betting in maron grass.... maron grass was the stuff holding the dunes back... well until the villagers used it for roofing.

So it seems the devil likes to play a lot of card games in Scotland so be warned dont drink to much or use to much grass for your roof.

Re: The Devil prefers Cards to Dominoes

Gordon said:
Its a very common tale in scottish literature/history. Weve got the de'il playing the pipes in Robert Burn's Tam O Shanter, A tale clearly intended to scare the living s**t out of children and warn of the dangers of to much drink.

Burns warning against the dangers of the demon drink :eek!!!!:

Burns n the De'il

Granted he liked a nip or two. But it is clearly an anti drink tale with a touch of a warning about having unclean thoughts in marriage.

Now, wha this tale o' truth shall read
Ilk man and mother's son, take heed,
Whene'er to drink you are inclin'd,
Or cutty-sarks run in your mind,
Think, ye may buy the joys o'er dear,
Remember Tam o' Shanter's mear.

My great grandmother was supposed to have met the devil but the devil was female. When she first met her ,they chatted over a cup of tea. The lady was smoking a cigerette and my great grandmother swore that the smoke circled up and took the form of a pair of horns over her head . She never spoke to her again as a scared devout catholic. Yet there were stories about this women in the town,where they were living. She had left a trail of destruction behind her. She split up many marriages as an adultress as she moved from town to town. She had born children but left them as soon as she could and basically was'nt a nice person. Was she the devil or did my great grandmother who was supposed to have been psychic just see a sign in the smoke not to befriend this women. Incidentently she had another affair in the town and again moved on leaving the mess behind her.

Hi--
Did any of you happen to see the API and CNN photos of the twin towers on September 11? There was a face in the smoke which was pretty unmistakable--and he was laughing. So I don't think there's much question that he could appear in a bar. . . . . . .

Chicago (downtown) is a scary place, too--the only time I ever came close to panicking and wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible was when we drove through there. There is a level to life which isn't normally seen, but it doesn't mean it isn't there! ;)

well, i'm a christian, and i got to a christian school, and i was talking to my bible teacher the other day and she said that the devil doesn't have horns or hoves or anything, but he is attractive, and beautifull, just as sin appears to us, attractive. so who knows, perhaps sometimes he's devilish, and other times he's attractive. and i do believe that he can be in spirit and in body, he is quite a strange fellow, o and i've never seen him, lol althought the thought of being pulled upwards by your hair by some "unseen" thing is quite un-nerving, o well cassualties of war.

UrbanDruid said:
Satan is the Owner of all material things. He gives of them freely, you only need to ask. If necessary, and possible, you may Take.

I remember a letter in FT concerning this. The gist of it was somebody was explaining this concept to a friend who although was a devout Catholic didn't really believe. Lightheartedly, with regard to his Catholic beliefs, he proceeded to ask the devil for a packet of condoms. The pair, who were walking at the time, turned a corner and there on the ground was a packet of condoms.
Unsurprisingly this rather un-nerved his Catholic friend and you can just imagine the conversation with St Peter.

Catholic,"Look, its a mistake I was just mucking about. You've got to let me in."
St Peter."You sold your soul for a pack of johnnies, your not giving me a lot of options here."

The writer of the letter happened to be from Crewe so maybe there's a pattern emerging here.

Josh, I'm an atheist so let me tell you a bit about the Devil. The guy used to be one of the high ranking angels and was "the fairest of them all". But he was thrown out for getting too ambitious. In the Bible he is not referred to as classic devilshape, the only real reference is as a red dragon.

Satan, was an angel yes, he was created by God, but he thought that he was more powerfull then God was, so him and 1/3 the angels in heaven fell to the earth, where they remain till Jesus returns and bounds satan for 1000 years, then he comes back and finishes him off, and destroyes the earth once and for all. you will all see soon enough, that God is the way, the truth and the light, but i'm not gona force any of you believe, it is of faith that we are saved

I once knew a kid a few years back that swore that the DEVIL entered his home, when he & his family were in the living room. I don't remember much anymore, but I remember him saying that the DEVIL was afraid of something that was in that room at the time, the BIBLE & the CROSS.

He told me this in class, in SUNDAY SCHOOL.
BTW, i'm a SUB/ASSISTANT TEACHER in that SUNDAY SCHOOL now.

Josh809 said:
...where they remain till Jesus returns and bounds satan for 1000 years, then he comes back and finishes him off, and destroyes the earth once and for all. you will all see soon enough, that God is the way, the truth and the light, but i'm not gona force any of you believe, it is of faith that we are saved
Doesn't it bother you, Josh, that Christians have believed this for nearly 2000 years and it hasn't happened yet? The first Christians thought it would happen in their lifetime, in fact.

i know, i mean John (the person who wrote revelation) thought that the times were close when he was alive, but this is because when it says "i am comming quickly" thats Jesus talking, and to him in heaven 2000 years could happen in a day, so maybe to him its going to be quick but for us slow. but now i do believe he is comming fast, especial because of the parable of the fig tree, which could represent israel which means that the generation of people who were alive when israel became a nation could see jesus return, that is of course if the parable is really symbolic of that, sorry long story for those of you who haven't heard it. o and by the way, you guys all know a lot about the bible for not being christians, very nice.

hey guys--
there is a lot of controversy surrounding whether we will all witness the end times. Personally, I think we just might, because there are just too many things happening that correspond to what's described in Revelations. (See Josh, I'm a Christian, too--as a matter of fact, I'm Catholic)

You're right--Satan[/U]was[/U] the highest angel in heaven, and he was cast out for one of the seven deadly sins--pride--because he proclaimed that he was greater than God (very delusional on his part). He is also no dummy and knows that the more appealing face he puts on, the more unfortunate souls he can attract.

So I would say (because this is how I navigate these things), that if you feel suspicious of something you see and your inner feeling is that whatever it is isn't right--trust it. You can sense more than you think you can, and if you look at things through your faith and your intuition, you can usually see where Satan tries to lay his traps for you.

This has gotten way off thread, but I want to make a point about 'the end'. If christians really believed the end times were near: they wouldn't be putting money away for retirement; they wouldn't purchase extended warranties; they wouldn't be planning a trip to Disneyland next summer; etc. The few that do really prepare for the end times eventually grow tired of it all and go back to 'normal' life, excepting mass-suicide and gunfights with the gub'ment. My point is that you need to re-assess your own point of view if you say the end times are near but continue to anticipate the inevitable future.

An alternate point of view. . . .

Hi mike_legs--

Here's a thought for you. If you read Revelations, it says that right up until the end, people will be living as they normally do--"eating and drinking, marrying and being married, bearing children....." you get the picture, I'm sure.

Just because you can see what's happening, doesn't mean that you don't go on--because it also says that no one, not even Jesus, knows the exact date and time of the end. Only the Father, and I don't think He's telling. ;)

It also says that we need to be prepared, and that means making sure that you know you're right in your faith. (Whatever that may be--the denomination thing, you know :) )

We pagan/heathen/agnostic types have got it all covered for the big "A" anyway. If god hates us for rejecting him hes really not worth the bother of thinking about. OK im on fire for eternity but my belief system has some kind of internal logic, so i win. I hope if Jesus comes back hes in "kicking money lenders out of temple" mode, not "render unto ceaser what is caesers" (mistranslation of the greek for "Caesers gonna get his, dont you worry about that, mate.")

AMEN TO THAT!!!

But if he's coming to kick satans butt then surely he's just gonna bring world peace and love and stuff so it pretty much dont matter what you believe now.

I was once assaulted on a street corner by a pamphleteering fundie who assured me that the world would end soon and that the devil was real, and was, in fact, personally out to get this particular fundie. But I was put off by the tinfoil hat the fellow was wearing.....:rolleyes:

To get back on-topic, I find it interesting that the devil is always described as being almost human, but is ultimately revealed by one small incongruity, either cloven hooves, or smoky horns, or a limp, etc. Is the Prince of Darkness so careless to overlook the very thing that would most easily give him away?

John Keel said once that many MIB encounters could be interpreted as devil or demon encounters, depending on the point of view of the observer. Now I have little faith in MIBs, and even less in the devil, but I am curious about this phenomena as a whole. I have heard that several countries have folklore about mysterious strangers turning out to be the Old Fellow in disguise; does anyone know of any off-hand?

It Happpened to Rubick.

Just been looking through old threads for posts made by my previous encarnation. Found this jem by Rubick.

Posted: 09-11-2001 14:40 Post subject: All these purported sightings remind me of what happened to

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an old abandoned cottage in a feild near where I grew up on the shores of Strangford Lough, which was baffingly referred to as 'the Fort'. At first glance the most startling thing is that fact that some bright spark has thrown red paint over the walls, looking like blood and causing children in their early teens to run like the clappers when one "thought I saw something".

From the many eventful days spent round at the Fort, the one that has stuck in my mind is that one day, during a game of 'Commandos' (Rambo: First Blood was de rigeur at the time) my cousin decided to hide in the attic of the cottage. It took some time for the others to get round to finding him, but when they did he was in a complete state of panic. He bolted out of the Fort, tears streaming down his face.

When asked what the matter was, he wouldnt say exactly, just became all defensive and went home. My cousin was never one to be put off by something trivial. It emerged after a few years that he had been just about to get down out of the loft, when he was dragged back up by the hair. He has still never spoken about *what* exactly pulled him up, but in his more drunken moments he will let slip that he "knows where he is going".

It struck me from reading this thread that there are some similarites with other accounts of this nature (or super-nature)

Shivers down the spine time....

This was posted back in 2001 (and a very familiar date, too)

You mention at the end that in his more drunken moments he will let slip that he "knows where he is going".

Has he told you yet what that means, and if so - let us know.

Re: It Happpened to Rubick.

boynamedsue said:
Just been looking through old threads for posts made by my previous encarnation. Found this jem by Rubick.

Posted: 09-11-2001 14:40 Post subject: All these purported sightings remind me of what happened to

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an old abandoned cottage in a feild near where I grew up on the shores of Strangford Lough, which was baffingly referred to as 'the Fort'. At first glance the most startling thing is that fact that some bright spark has thrown red paint over the walls, looking like blood and causing children in their early teens to run like the clappers when one "thought I saw something".

*snip*

Shivers down the spine time....

could you bump or link to the thread that the post is originally from?

Thanks!

Christians modelled the devil on the Pagan God Pan, who is half goat half man... very clever plan.. they wanted to convert all Pagans to follow them so they took over our festivals, sacred lands & outcast any that would not follow their faith... They took the Pagan God of Nature and brainwashed a lot of people into thinking any followers of the horned God worshipped the devil... outcast those pagans till they reform... very good plan, must be since It still has believers in this day and age.

I'm not saying the Devil does not exist... I am saying that he does not necessarily have hooves & horn's... Pan is a fun god, likes to play... maybe people have been witnessing him,and not the Devil incarnate, playing cards! :twisted:

Maybe Gods/Godess's need people to believe in them?.
Ever read Niel Giamens American Gods?.Try it, I could easily see it being so !.Seriously it's a very good book.

Bullseye said:
Ever read Niel Giamens American Gods?.Try it, I could easily see it being so !.Seriously it's a very good book.

It's one of the best novels I've read in ages, read it very slowly as I wanted to savour it.

Terry Pratchett's "Small Gods" does a comic take on the same idea: in it a a god who should manifest as a Mighty Bull comes back as a small tortoise, because only one simple monk from the religion founded in his name actually belives in him.

Pan has a similar problem in 'Jitterbug Perfume' by Tom Robbins.

I myself can report he is alive and well :)

Chinadoll said:
This was posted back in 2001 (and a very familiar date, too)

You mention at the end that in his more drunken moments he will let slip that he "knows where he is going".

Has he told you yet what that means, and if so - let us know.

Wasn't my post Chinadoll, should have clarified post was about apparitions by -cough- himself. :evil:

Now clearer thru the bump tho...

Never met the Devil personally (I hope :? ) but I have met David Blunkett and Hilary Benn, who are certainly close advisors.

I think there's a Terry Pratchett Discworld book (can't remember the name. One of the ones I've read, there aren't that many of them :) ) where the gods need people to believe in them. If no-one believes, they turn into whispers, who floated about in the desert, still existing, but with no real definition anymore, looking for people to believe. And they need the belief to perform miracles and so on, thus causing others to believe ;)

Timble said:
Terry Pratchett's "Small Gods" does a comic take on the same idea: in it a a god who should manifest as a Mighty Bull comes back as a small tortoise, because only one simple monk from the religion founded in his name actually belives in him.

Yes, that one, somehow missed Timble's post entirely :)

It was only relatively recently that I realised the word "panic" came from Pan too :)

Just a quick note to agree - American Gods is a fantastic book - everyone go out and read it!

Also, speaking of the Devil, Neil Gaiman's depiction of Lucifer/Samael in the Sandman series (and in the spin off 'Lucifer' comics) is interesting.... I've mentioned this in another thread as well, people will think i'm getting paid by DC Comics! :p

Back