• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Drink (Or Other Casual Encounter) With The Devil

Lol, Fitz, that made me laugh when I needed it. Since I read Paradise Lost, I more envisaged the devil as that, dark fallen angel, but still with a sort of blasted beauty , still that's me, and the way my mind works. :roll:

Lethe said:
I more envisaged the devil as that, dark fallen angel, but still with a sort of blasted beauty ,

"Someone called me?". :twisted:

Only encounter I have had with the Devil was in a dream.... In this dream I was meant to be going on a picnic with my family, but the clouds were heavy and the rain a falling... I was in my bedroom looking out of the window (as I did often as a child) and absently said I would sell my soul if only the sun would shine... then within seconds the clouds cleared and the sun bloomed....... EEEEEEK!! :shock:

I was well shaken when I woke up..... but it don't count does it?? I mean I was only 12 at the time... and asleeep... and I didn't mean it... honest....

Oh well... to the fire I may go :furious:

I remember when i was knee high to an imp an uncle came a visiting... had never met him before (and recently found out he was always a bit on the crazy side... lol.. now I know where I get it from)... anyway, apparently he was on his last legs and his mind had gone a bit... when he came in the house my mother had us lined up as if royalty was calling... but as soon as he walked through the door he compleley freaked... started screaming that the Devil was on our (me & my sister's) shoulders.

This didn't effect me at the time... I was a very inquisitive 4 year old and found everything more interesting than scary... but maybe that dream years later stemmed from that one experience....

Who knows... I've experienced many strange things in my time... enough to believe there is a lot to this little old life.... but one thing I'm sure of... I will not be going to hell when I die... I will come back anew :D Love this zanny old earth too much to leave after just a dozen life times... lol

mikelegs said:
"If christians really believed the end times were near: they wouldn't be putting money away for retirement; they wouldn't purchase extended warranties; they wouldn't be planning a trip to Disneyland next summer; etc."

It might have helped if you'd talked to at least a handful of Christians before making your judgement.

Christians know that whether the World will soon end or not, the "End Times" ARE coming quickly for THEM as INDIVIDUALS. Few live much past the century mark, and millions of Christians die every year. Thus Christians buy life insurance and so on to succor and support those they will leave behind. The "Christian" who leaves spouse and children penniless, with the potted remark that "don't worry about money - the Lord is coming soon!" would be one heck of a stinking provider.

And since "no man knows the day or hour" of the End of the World, few sensible Christians care to be left high and dry "if the Lord tarries."

escargot1 said:
A friend from school used to swear that her Dad played cards with the Devil. She said Dad was in a pub in Crewe, where we both live to this day, and was playing cards with a group, not all of whom he knew. He dropped something on the floor and on bending to pick it up, noticed that the man sitting opposite him had, not shoes or workmen's boots, but CLOVEN HOOVES!! He sat up fast, nearly tipping the table over with his head, and was out of there like a shot, to mocking laughter from Mr Goat-Feet and general consternation among the other men. Nobody, he later learned, knew the stranger and each had assumed someone else had invited him.
I too have heard almost word for word this same story in my town this has to be an urban myth type thingy

Earl Beardie

And let's not forget "Earl Beardie," the 16th Century master of Glamis Castle, who played cards with the Devil, on Sunday of all days....and lost.

Satan must be an ok guy, since his people, the Yezidis are so nice.

Yezidis

There is a rumor, surely no more than an urban legend, that if you ask a Kurd, anywhere in the world, about the Yezidis, he/she is duty-bound to kill you.

But when I picked up a Kurdish neighbor a few years ago, a really nice and remarkably sweet human being, and who spoke genuinely idiomatic English (and German just as fluently, I am told), I DIDN'T ask him.

Coward that I am....

Its nonsense

Read `Peacock Angel` by Drower

(its online somewhere)

No

No. I thought that perhaps the root of the rumor/urban legend I mentioned above was that a Kurd (though in the present case an American of Kurdish origins) MIGHT find the question at least a little offensive, and I DO attempt to be civil.

"The Devil in the Dance Hall"

I'm a bit surprised that nobody seems to have yet brought up the well- known Mexican-South Western United States legend, "The Devil in the Dance Hall."

While the tale apparently goes back to previous centuries, the best-known version involves a dance hall in the "far outskirts" of San Antonio, Texas, in 1947.

The Devil showed up for the dance, proved an excellent and accomplished dancer, but was accompanied by the smell of sulphur and brimstone. Upon leaving, Satan's legs turned to chicken legs.

The dance hall then closed for a full ten years, not reopening until the late 1950s.

For what it's worth, the dance hall is real and still exists today.

The Dancing Devil is like the Donkey Lady - easy to find, hard to pin down. For instance, Docia Schultz Williams in When Darkness Falls: Tales of San Antonio Ghosts and Hauntings places the events at El Camaroncito Ballroom on Old Highway 90 West around Halloween 1975, and even cites a newspaper story with eyewitness reports; yet the story is much, much older. The basic storyline is that a handsome young man comes to the dance hall - a Mexican venue in every single story with which I am familiar, though Williams claims a rumor of an appearance at the Rocking M disco in Lockhart during the 70s - and wows all the ladies, until one - who may be the 16-year-old who sneaked out or the aloof beauty who scorns most men - looks down and notices that he has chicken feet. She screams and he vanishes in a cloud that stinks of rotten eggs.

This is definitely a Mexican devil. Not only does he hang out at Spanish-speaking venues, but Anglo devils have cloven hooves, not chicken feet. It is notable that he doesn't always harm anyone, though he sometimes takes disobediant teen-agers with him to hell.

AND he has all the good music...

Sadly, the devil having hooves and horns was a dig at pagan gods by the 'kind and loving' people that call themselves Christians. I think a few people have mentioned something along these lines in previous posts.

They are pagan gods basically twisted by (past) christians to make the pagan faith 'evil' in their eyes. The hooves and horns come from Pan and Herne the hunter. Clearly the most evil gods imaginable as they are attributed to making you feel 'horny'. And woe betide anyone who made sex a normal and enjoyable part of human behaviour. God forbid!

Incidentally, every christian festival is nicked from ancient pagan and other faiths cos they just couldnt be arsed to think up their own. Easter, Christmas, harvest festival etc.... Idle chuffs!

All generalizations are false, Witchflame. Relax. 8)

I'd be interested to trace the origins of the Mexican chicken-footed devil. Chicken feet appear on Baba Yaga's hut and Mexican devils, in folklore; as a Rocky Horror Picture Show audience-participation line and on the X-man Nightcrawler (often mistaken for a devil in the comic), but otherwise are not a prominently featured meme.

Vagaries in the depiction of Nightcrawler from artist to artist in the comics, back in the day when I was reading Marvel and the X-men were popular enough to be crossing over constantly, made me ponder whether the cloven hooves and chicken feet were actually attempts to describe the anomolous feet of a "real" being (I am by no means committed to the objective existence of any given form seen by any given honest eyewitness). The Marvel character Bible described Nightcrawler as having "two toes." The regular X-men artists consistently drew this as chicken feet, but guest artists and artists in other books who referenced the Bible rather than the core comics came up with some jarringly bizarre variations on the theme, including an ordinary bipedal human foot with two monstrous toes. Might not some fairy creature have been similarly-described by an eyewitness, and both the chicken feet and the cloven hooves be attempts by non-eyewitnesses to make sense of a foot shape that was different from either?

A logical possibility, not subject to testing, but worth bearing in mind when interpreting eyewitness accounts, I suppose.

One theory on the chicken-legged Baba Yaga house is that the indigenous people (of Siberia) would build their houses/huts on top of coppiced trees to prevent marauding bears from being able to break in. The only entrance would be a hole in the floor of the hut and they could climb up via a rope ladder and then be able to pull it back in once they were safely inside.

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Baba_Yaga

Hey! :evil: I was going to revive this thread today because I wanted to share the following story:
Location. West Yaroslavl Province, Russia
Date: Winter 1939
Time: evening
A local grandmother named Maria Barabashova was eating in her wooded house located in an isolated area on the banks of the lake when suddenly a stranger entered her house. He was of small height with a dark face, gray clothing, and pants that stretched down to the floor. Frightened, the old woman started crossing herself was amazed to see that the stranger also crossed himself while facing the icon hanging on the wall, he then greeted her and asked permission to stay and rest. Maria welcomed him and offered him food and tea. Her guest was very strange and unusual. He refused to eat any food and only drank tea, pouring some strange powder into it before drinking it. When he ate he hid his legs under the chair apparently in order to conceal the fact that his feet were hoofed. During conversation he mentioned his name, which was very unusual and very long, and the witness could only remember in had an Indian word like “rama” in it. Suddenly the strange took out a strange cigar-case device from his pocket that possessed sharp corners, pushed a button on it and pulled a wire from it. “What is that and what is it for?” The stranger smiled and said, “I must not be late to my craft, it had some technical problem”. He added that he was not worry since it was being repaired as they spoke and he was confident that he would fly out in time. Maria thought that the stranger was speaking nonsense. Soon after that Maria felt very sleepy and excused herself going immediately to sleep. When she awakened she went outside and noticed strange non-human footprints on the snow, as if made by someone walking on high heels. She tried to follow them but it was fruitless so she returned home. The visitor was apparently a human-alien hybrid.
Story #18 here.

Alien hybrid my Aunt Fanny. That sounds like a time traveler. He's afraid of picking up something from the food, so asks for tea (boiled water should be safe) and adds sweetener he brought with him. Artificial sweetener is powdery while sugar is crystalline. The thing with the antenna is a cell phone. And he was deforming his feet with the latest uncomfortable fashion in shoes.

Simple.

Hey, a logical possibility is as good as proof here, right? ;)

Well, makes as much sense as this twaddle:

When he ate he hid his legs under the chair apparently in order to conceal the fact that his feet were hoofed.

I mean, everybody knows that why you hide your legs under a chair! Unless you have a hairy wart on your hammer toe.

It was awkwardly written, but I think the "apparently" refers ahead to the discovery of the strange tracks. In other words, between the long pants and the seating posture the witness never sees the feet, but when she notices the tracks later she thinks: "He must have cloven hooves! That explains why he sat so oddly!"

I can't find the link now, but I read about this "discovery" in Russia about a hole that went deeper than any other in Russia when they were prosepcting for oil. Apparently, the researchers were hearing sounds like "moans, groans and scream from hell". The scientists assumed it was leaking gaseous deposits and ignored it. However, it also mentioned in the article that Jack Cousteau was supposed to have dove in the Black Sea and came across an underwater cave where he had heard similar things and had decided it was time for him to retire at that point from diving because he had truly believed it was hell. Anyone hear about this - I can't find/remember the Internet reference anymore but it was a really creepy read.

Back