• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Farewell To Arms

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Woman’s arms found in backpack of Russian professor

Agence France-Presse
Sat 9 Nov 2019 21.09 EST

Police in Saint Petersburg have arrested a prominent Russian historian on suspicion of murdering a former student after he was hauled out of a river with a backpack containing a woman’s arms, authorities said.

Local media in Saint Petersburg reported that university professor Oleg Sokolov was drunk and fell into the river as he tried to dispose of body parts on Saturday.

Police reportedly then went to Sokolov’s home, where they discovered the decapitated body of Anastasia Yeshchenko, 24, with whom he had co-authored a number of works.

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/10/womans-arms-found-in-backpack-of-russian-professor

Prof Sokolov is a Napoleon expert who has received France's Légion d'Honneur.

_109598884_mediaitem109598883.jpg

"He has admitted his guilt," his lawyer Alexander Pochuyev [said].

Prof Sokolov reportedly told police that he killed his lover during an argument and then sawed off her head, arms and legs.

He is said to have planned to get rid of the body before publicly committing suicide dressed as Napoleon.

Mr Pochuyev said Prof Sokolov may have been under stress.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50365124

May have been under stress.” Gee, ya think? Does he have the perfect - though hackneyed - insanity defence or what?

maximus otter

Woman’s arms found in backpack of Russian professor

Agence France-Presse
Sat 9 Nov 2019 21.09 EST

Police in Saint Petersburg have arrested a prominent Russian historian on suspicion of murdering a former student after he was hauled out of a river with a backpack containing a woman’s arms, authorities said.

Local media in Saint Petersburg reported that university professor Oleg Sokolov was drunk and fell into the river as he tried to dispose of body parts on Saturday.

Police reportedly then went to Sokolov’s home, where they discovered the decapitated body of Anastasia Yeshchenko, 24, with whom he had co-authored a number of works.

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/10/womans-arms-found-in-backpack-of-russian-professor

I was indirectly involved with something similar to this.

In 1995, a group of us went bar hopping. At the end of the evening, JoAnne didn't want to leave with us. She was interested in some guy she had met and told us to go on without her. Her torso was found in a suite case a few days later.

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/9603017692/suspect-held-grisly-murder

{QUOTE]
  • Death, dissection and depravity. Sheremata, Davis // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;06/30/97, Vol. 24 Issue 29, p28
    Notes that Donald Smart was convicted of second degree murder and interfering with a dead body. The victim, JoAnne Dickson, who was strangled, dismembered and raped after her death; The punishment Smart received; Background information on Smart; How he met Dickson; Details of Smart's attacks on...[/QUOTE]

I'm having mixed feelings:
On the one hand, I love the dark humour of the thread title and it's making me want to laugh. :)
On the other, it is very, very saddening to see the picture of the unfortunate victim. :(

At least now the poor young woman has a face to show the world. What a vile business. Shameful. I hate it when an obviously talented young academic dies, but it is so much worse when it is for such a stupid shabby reason.

I hate it when anyone is murdered. I don't care how old they are, what they do for a living, or wherever their talents lie.
True, but for my part I feel it a bit more when someone I might consider a colleague dies. I just feel it is remotely possible I might have got to meet them at some point.

He got off lightly.

A Russian historian who admitted shooting and dismembering his student partner in St Petersburg has been jailed for 12 and a half years.

Oleg Sokolov, 63, an expert on the Napoleonic wars, pleaded guilty to the murder of Anastasia Yeshchenko, 24. He was found drunk in a river in November 2019 with Ms Yeshchenko's severed arms in his backpack.

Women's rights activists say the case shows indifference towards harassment and domestic violence in Russia. An online petition with more than 7,500 signatures accused St Petersburg State University of ignoring previous complaints from students against Sokolov.

He has now been dismissed from the university and from another academic post in France.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55447557

12.5 years? Wow, I thought they were too lenient here. Russia's gone soft.

12.5 years? Wow, I thought they were too lenient here. Russia's gone soft.
For shame, Myth. Sokolov is a contemptible individual, for sure, and I will shed no tears for him, but the suggestion that Russian prisons are holiday camps for the inmates - the occasional outlier kingpin excepted - is ludicrously unfounded, and I can't let it pass unchallenged. The Russian prison system brutalises both inmates and staff. In conjunction with a corrupt police force and court system, it is a massive stain on the country.

For shame, Myth. Sokolov is a contemptible individual, for sure, and I will shed no tears for him, but the suggestion that Russian prisons are holiday camps for the inmates - the occasional outlier kingpin excepted - is ludicrously unfounded, and I can't let it pass unchallenged. The Russian prison system brutalises both inmates and staff. In conjunction with a corrupt police force and court system, it is a massive stain on the country.
So... you mean that 12.5 years in a Russian jail is the equivalent of 25 years in a UK jail? Sorry, didn't know.

So... you mean that 12.5 years in a Russian jail is the equivalent of 25 years in a UK jail? Sorry, didn't know.
I think you're trying to compare apples and anti-personnel mines. Really, though, there's plenty of information out there. 12.5 years could well end up being the equivalent of a death sentence, never mind 25 years, what with high infection rates of TB and HIV. Certainly, in the 90s, it was thought that anything over a seven year sentence was effectively a death sentence, due to the huge risk of disease. The disease risk, of course, doesn't take account of inmate-on-inmate violence, often abetted by staff, as well as/in lieu of staff-on-inmate violence. In either event, you can probably guess what standards of medical treatment you could look forward to. And even if you survive all that, there's the forced labour.

He was brung low by a woman.

At least now the poor young woman has a face to show the world. What a vile business. Shameful. I hate it when an obviously talented young academic dies, but it is so much worse when it is for such a stupid shabby reason.

I know how you feel, Alcopwn, I like to think my fellow academics are worthy of respect; unfortunately they can also be terribly puerile and I could easily imagine many doing this.

Back