• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Ghost With Some Issues

Whatever the actual cause resulting in the re-appearing stacked magazines, it is weird. Ghost, poltergeist, human prankster, person with dementia, lizard overlord, - ok, I'm reaching a little.

This is
You'll appreciate that thread title in a minute or two. I expect plaudits for it.

This is a "it happened to a friend" account. Or is happening, perhaps. The conversation in which im getting this information has been taking place via text over the last half hour. So there'll be much i don't yet know.

Renato, a decades-long friend in Australia, has just casually mentioned in response to one of my dream/coincidence stories that there's definitely weird stuff happening in his house.

Pray tell.

He concentrated on two repeated phenomena. The first is that neither the alarm inside nor the porch light outside can detect his presence. At all. And only him. Which is to say with regard to the first - which he says is sensitive even to spiders - he thought for a long time the alarm simply didn't work. Till friends stayed and told him it does. But not when *he* enters or leaves. Ever. The outside light comes on immediately when anyone but he approaches. But never for him. I questioned him does he just mean often it doesn't work. No he means never. But only for him. He had it tested and the lights changed twice. They found nothing wrong with it.. he claims its sensitive to even the passing presence of mosquitoes. Yet unless he's with someone else it seems to think he doesn't exist. For this to be true of two unconnected pieces of equipment is certainly passing strange. We'll throw in that - less consistently to be sure - his Google (which he says is only meant to respond when he says "hey google" ) randomly greets him of its own volition. Specifically when leaving the house to go for a walk it will occasionally call "have a good day Renato".

Electronics have their own mysteries of course and perhaps some of those could be explained by some of you. But the more obviously intriguing second phenomenon involves the regular appearance of a stack of magazines.
If my questioning has correctly drawn out and comprehended the details then for the last 18 months, every month without fail, a stack (always in the same order) of about 10 women's weekly magazines appears on his "front pillar". "I move them, dump them, leave them on the side of the road and they keep re-appearing stacked on the front pillar". Most recently he took them to a council bin "not far from mine" (a detail i include to allow open the option of a watching neighbourhood practical joker), returned home to do some work, and when he stepped out of hsi front door there they were again, stacked up in place.

I enquired if they ever show the wear and tear from all these attempts to dump them. He says no, they always appear looking pristine.

At some point they disappear themselves, but always reappear the next month, every month.

I've suggested some experiments to try. If he destroys one will a replica appear in its place? If he takes them into the house and leaves them there will they still disappear? I'll let you know if there are any results from such trials.

You'll be curious about any significance apparent in the magazines themselves. I questioned him as precisely as i could but his replies lack the same precision so I'm left to infer from his lack of denial or clarification that they are the precise same issues of the same magazines and the magazines are just modern, recent editions of women's weekly mags with no particular significance obvious in their titles or covers...eg they're not from the 1940s or anything suitably eerie like that.

Going, as we must or where's the fun?, down the ghostly route, we make an observation and ask a question. Any "ghost" is seemingly friendly, the possible theme of the electronic weirdness is he's no stranger or threat to the house but belongs there, and the magazines suggest it is a she. So who lived in the house before him? Did anyone die there?

He understands an elderly widow had previously lived there, but died leaving it vacant.....her one story house was therefore knocked down and his built on the same spot.

Which is just what we want in a ghost story.

I'll add if there are any future updates.
This is freaky. In one of the It Happened to Me collections is the story of a woman who began triggering small electrical disturbances when she was stressed during a divorce process, changing the television channel, short-circuiting her iron and other things. When the process was over, the disturbances ended.
Does Renato have problems with his social life?
The magazines sound like a different problem, though. Any care homes nearby or group homes for people with disabilities?

An update on this.

I see i reported this in September. He'd not brought it up since, which - given his claim it was happening every month - was curuious so I messaged him on Tuesday to ask if there had been any more incidents.

He replied "It hasn't happened since. Now I know the secret. Just tell someone about it and the spell will be broken."

Today, Friday, he sent me a photo of the pile of mags...they're back. And a comment "I threw them all in the gutter on the road! Had enough."

I'll attach the photo in a moment, but its the top issue of WW magazine thats visible and it certainly looks pristine. The mag has no cover date but it features Kate (Middleton) at 40...which she turned this year, suggesting he can't as he orginally stated have been seeing the exact same covers each time for the last 18 months (though logically if its a pile, maybe the top one is new each time as the others will be older and therefore presumably must indeed be repeating and seem collectively to be identical each time). I began to question him on whether it was the exact cover each time.. he said yes, but corrected/elaborated that it was the same top cover 3 or 4 times at least. Again i suspect this is misapprehension on his part as i found a copy of that cover for sale on ebay and its listed as being the September 2022 issue.

A new oddity though...his pic shows the mags with a handwritten note on top saying "please take". I naturally assumed this was a note he'd placed when "throwing them in the gutter". But no, he says "I really think someone is having me on...ive never noticed that note before saying 'please take'." Which brings a new idea to my mind. Whoever or whatever is the author of this tomfoolery, physical or ghostly, may have meant that message specifically for him. A plea to actually take the mags for some yet to be revealed reason, instead of throwing them away each time. Maybe that's the secret of the persistence....he needs to keep hold of them....

1669988167871.png

The 'Please Take' note suggests to me that some third party is putting these magazines out somewhere on public display (or maybe a bus shelter or similar) and a different person is then dumping them on your friend's doorstep.

The mag has no cover date but it features Kate (Middleton) at 40...which she turned this year, suggesting he can't as he orginally stated have been seeing the exact same covers each time for the last 18 months (though logically if its a pile, maybe the top one is new each time as the others will be older and therefore presumably must indeed be repeating and seem collectively to be identical each time). I began to question him on whether it was the exact cover each time.. he said yes, but corrected/elaborated that it was the same top cover 3 or 4 times at least. Again i suspect this is misapprehension on his part as i found a copy of that cover for sale on ebay and its listed as being the September 2022 issue.

The confusion about the covers is sort of understandable. Every issue of the AWW has a cheerful picture of some prominent female on the cover. The royals are a favourite. Kate would have been featured many times by now. (and no, I don't read it. I just do the cryptic crossword.)

. (and no, I don't read it. I just do the cryptic crossword.)
Suuuure, that’s what they all say.:evillaugh:

And I don’t know how much magazines are in Australia, but in Canada they are now $16-18 without tax. Even this occurring 3-4
times a year would be an expensive joke for the prankster. Though, as suggested in other posts, s/he might have access to free copies. Also, just noting that the photo of the pile of mags doesn’t look like “about ten”.

Last edited:
Suuuure, that’s what they all say.:evillaugh:

And I don’t know how much magazines are in Australia, but in Canada they are now $16-18 without tax. Even this occurring 3-4
times a year would be an expensive joke for the prankster. Though, as suggested in other posts, s/he might have access to free copies. Also, just noting that the photo of the pile of mags doesn’t look like “about ten”.
That's expensive ! I just checked the December edition cluttering up the coffee table in front of me, and it's $7:99, and remember the Aussie dollar is worth a bit less than the "loonie" (do they still call it that?)

AWW is a big seller. It's everywhere. Every doctor's and dentist's waiting room will have a stack of them. It wouldn't be hard to collect a pile of 10.

That's expensive ! I just checked the December edition cluttering up the coffee table in front of me, and it's $7:99, and remember the Aussie dollar is worth a bit less than the "loonie" (do they still call it that?)

AWW is a big seller. It's everywhere. Every doctor's and dentist's waiting room will have a stack of them. It wouldn't be hard to collect a pile of 10.
Any magazine with glossy pics and related to fashion or home decor or cooking etc are in that range. Most of our magazines are American mags. We have few published in Canada.

Yes we still have our loonie:)

I'm inclined to think that the "Please Take" is an invitation for passers by to help themselves. I often see this in our neck of the woods where people put items out with such notices. Wouldn't explain why the mags end up on this doorstep, but suggestive of someone wanting others to benefit from them.

Ring doorbell would solve the mystery. Although our Ring seems to be mainly used by my kids who get a notification their parents are on the doorstep, when they're miles away, and bark at us through the microphone (or serenade us with "You'll Never Walk Alone"). I'm assured normal people's Ring doorbells actually do useful shit though, like record people leaving old lady magazines on doorsteps. If anybody tried that in front of our house, they'd be recorded, for sure. It's a surprisingly wide lens, too and would even get people who are not square on to it.

Back