• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Glitch In The Matrix

A

Anonymous

It was Tuesday October 1, 2003 at lunchtime (around Noon). I was sitting at a traffic light in the left turn lane waiting for the green arrow. There was alot of lunchtime traffic.
_
I was first in line. The traffic was flowing in both directions across the intersection in front of me - and I was just staring straight ahead. But, I particularly noticed the traffic flowing from left to right as I waited for the left turn signal.

I noticed_a white_SUV_crossing the intersection travelling approximately 30-40 mph - and as I observed it, it_"jumped back" about 10 feet and went across again.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/MATRIX.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's some kind of time-slip - I haven't even had October 2003 yet! :)

Is it possible that mini time-slips happen all the time, as I think i've seen discussed here elsewhere? I was walking my road the other day, thinking that I could constantly be slipping backwards and forwards in the time frame, maybe seconds, maybe years. Most differences would be pretty negligible, or at least you'd have to be pretty observant to pick up on them.

One problem, I suppose, is that if they were constantly occuring why wouldn't you slip into night, or snow etc.. Things that are extremely variable and extremely noticable.

A glitch in the brain maybe, distorting your own time/frame of reference.

It was Tuesday October 1, 2003 at lunchtime.

I think something like this would be much more easily explained as asynchronos communication between the brain hemispheres.
A glich in the synapses.
I have my own ideas on multiverse theory and time slips but I am sure any dimensional bleed through would be a lot more obvious and unexplainable than a serious double take. Say a T Rex running through the intersection or a Mongol on horseback.

Oops! I can't believe I mis-posted the date - it was actually last fall - 2002. A recent study does indicate paranormal experiences happen within our own brains (which I have a hard time believing - I've been with other people that have witnessed paranormal events along with me).

I personally believe that dimensions are overlapping - but most people don't notice.

Thanks for the replies.
Anna

I believe in all sorts so I'm no debunker but it sounds to me as if the glitch they call deja vu when you see something but it short-circuits to the 'old-memory section' of brain nanoseconds after being percieved by 'present-time section' of brain was happening visually here. Bear with me...

Sight only sees five percent of our 'vision' and the brain extrapolates from known data based on previous information with peripheral movement sparking your eyes to jump back to a previous area to reevaluate the change since the last image seconds before, etc. If you saw the van begin to move and your 'five percent visual window' jumped somewhere else placing the 'blind spot' over the image of the van, coincidentally maybe but these things happen to cyclists all the time with drivers!, and the van hesitated for some reason, your brain may have extrapolated from the known data and 'continued' the vans journey across your field of vision even though the blind spot would have prevented this from being 'seen' your brain would have 'known' it. When your 'five percent window' shifted and the blind spot slid away from the hesitating van resuming the previous speed your brain would suddenly find itself having to reevalutate the last seconds or two seconds worth of presumptive data and give your conscious mind the actual facts of the real visual image. All this would have given you a disconcerting sense of a jump. With this data already having gone to your brain and been shuffled away into its memory banks your present mind would have to grapple with the memory of two vans or one van jumping back in time like the memory glitches you would be convinced that 'something happened', etc. as we are told to trust our eyes. This is not necessarily too wise a thing when we have to overload our brain with lots of information about lots of fast-moving objects whilst placed under the stress of waiting to join the stream of said fast-moving and dangerous objects and negotiate our safety. Our bodies were made for much simpler ways and times but because we grew up in this era we think our bodies can handle all the demands for attention and accuracy we place on them. Sometimes our poor brains just can't deal with everything all the time. The blind spot sliding over the van as it momentarily slowed was just one very rare situation the brain can't be expected to 'handle' on short notice. ;)

Thanks for your perpective, Chant. It could have been a glitch in my brain....but it was so...in my face.

Although those sitting around me, seemed oblivious to it...so I suppose it's possible.

I HAVE also experienced other "time warps" or "time fold" - one time arriving at my destination on a three hour trip - in only two hours, with my car on it's normal 70 mile per hour cruise control. I lost an hour on a route I have travelled often. To this day, I don't know how that happened.

I'll be glad to extrapolate on the latter if you'd like to hear it.

Go for it!

I was going to say! You never mentioned wierd stuff like THAT in your original post. I'd say cruise control and specific timing would have to be something that your brain couldn't misinterpret etc. and blows the brain misperception theory out of the water!

I'm all ears.

Though gutted that my rather fine and well reasoned theory has dribbled into nothingness...;)

First, Chant, let me clarify that this incident is separate from the event I posted that happened last October. This incident I'm going to describe happened about 2 years ago.

I had an appointment at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. I live in a suburb of Cincinnati. Mileage to appointment - 155 from my driveway. I left and noted 3 hours ( I had to stop and get gas). I've made it in 2, 45min before with no stops. From my driveway to the interstate is 25 and 35 mph - and it usually takes about 10 min. From the interstate to the route exit - 65 mph - and usually takes 20 min. I was on schedule at the point where I exited off to the route to the University. I stopped for gas. Then I pass through several little towns on the 4 lane highway route until the speed limit changes to 60 mph and I put the cruise control on 70 mph the rest of the way. Same thing that morning....nothing different.

The crazy thing is, I arrived there in exactly 2 hours from my driveway. 155 miles in 2 hours. That would be an average - AVERAGE - of 77.5 mph.

I had a personally important dream the night before and once I put the car on cruise at 70 mph, I went over the dream detail by detail - and admit I got lost in it. When I became aware, I realized I was nearly there and couldn't figure out why the difference in time. I got there so early I had to get breakfast at a restaurant just to waste time until my appt.

Did I slip into "dream time" - encounter an energy time warp - or fold time? I have no idea. I just know what happened. I've since been researching, looking for answers. If you have any ideas, theories or answers to this phenomenon, it is greatly appreciated.

If you live with others might they have played a trick on you?

Or if not then you mentioned a personally important dream. I take it from this that it was vivid enough to be remembered and triggered an emotional response so might you have turned your clock forward because your subconscious mind was worried you may miss the appointment? Do you sleep walk, in other words. It's possible as some people hide precious things and then report them stolen the next morning because they can't remember a thing about it and if someone hadn't seen them do it noone would ever have known. Might someone have returned to the house or flat after you left and corrected the timing before you came home?

Or if not the above, then the only other time I've heard of this happening is with abductees who were returned much further on in their journey than they should have been and it also coincided with a wierd amnesia, or daydream, that took their attention away from the road journey. Have you ever considered this option seriously? As I said. It's the only time I've heard of this experience outside of Ufology circles.

Anna said:
I had a personally important dream the night before and once I put the car on cruise at 70 mph, I went over the dream detail by detail - and admit I got lost in it. When I became aware, I realized I was nearly there and couldn't figure out why the difference in time. I got there so early I had to get breakfast at a restaurant just to waste time until my appt.

Did I slip into "dream time" - encounter an energy time warp - or fold time? I have no idea. I just know what happened. I've since been researching, looking for answers. If you have any ideas, theories or answers to this phenomenon, it is greatly appreciated.
Is it just possible, perhaps, that whilst lost in reverie, you had your foot down on the 'gas' pedal?

Apparently, similiar things happen to people whilst engaged in cellular phone conversations.

Perhaps, it's the microwaves? ;)

You must admit Anna that Androman has a good point. It makes more sense than my abduction theory. Can you give us more examples of strange things happening?

I'm not an opponent of the multiple dimensions theory - who knows how these things work - but there are so many other more likely explanations to account for such experiences. Clocks being wrong, mistakes made, jokes played, vision problems, undiagnosed neural episodes, petit mal epilepsy, memory problems, fugue states, etc. etc.

To illustrate - Anna, what makes you so sure that the time of your departure was what you thought it was? Maybe the clock was wrong. Did you check it on two clocks? Maybe both were wrong. After all, two incorrect time-pieces showing the same wrong time is more likely that a time warp. How do you know that your memory was not at fault, or you experienced a mild hallucinogenic episode (which may account for the other occurrences too)?

Interesting story but really, October 2003 ? There's the glitch, it couldn't have happened yet. Sorry to be so picky.

I've had a time slip back in the late spring of 1993. I was walking back from school on a street called Annette in Toronto, Canada. And saw a TTC bus pass by me in the oppisite direction, when I got close to home I heard a sound -- same sound that you hear when you step on a Turtle in Super Mario Bros. -- and next thing you know I am at least 10 minutes from home again and I see the same bus that passed me loading passengers.

I have had other weird experiences, but since we cannot post stuff to IHTM, I cannot relate them....

deja vu

I don't know if there are any specific threads on this (in which case apologies and could someone direct me to them), but what is the general scientific / fortean consensus about deja vu?

I've had so many incidents where I'm sat there just looking and could swear blind that I've either been there and done that before or have had dreams about it....even if this is the first time I've ever physically been in this place. I've had several "glitch in the matrix" type occurences as well....is it just neural lapses, the brain filling in visual and other stimuli from images in the sub-conscious? What are other people's views....

Deja Vu

It’s something to do with your eyes and subconscious mind working quicker than your real time mind. Only slightly quicker, but as your subconscious sees something seconds quicker than your real time mind, you get the impression you have seen it before.
In actual fact you have only seen it once but with two parts of your mind, one slightly sooner than the other.
I think that’s the idea anyway (Thank the kids programme "How" for the explanation).
:)

mlauzon said:
I have had other weird experiences, but since we cannot post stuff to IHTM, I cannot relate them....

Oh, you must tell. If you've got really interesting stories, won't someone move them to IHTM?

Mods?

Elisheva said:
Oh, you must tell. If you've got really interesting stories, won't someone move them to IHTM?

Mods?

I've been trying to get my stuff into Fortean Times' IHTM since I found out about the magazine in late '96, so far...they are still not putting up anything I send them; hell originally to access the forum, back in '96-? -- I don't know when then changed it -- you had to email the owner to get a password to view the forums; I did that for a while then gave up because I never got sent it.

Could you try a little experiment?

Next time you find yourself at a set of lights, with a similiar flow of traffic try closing one eye with the other open (let's say the flow of traffic is from the right to left, so have your left eye open and right closed), then switch around the eyes you have open quickly (closing the left and opening the right).

Would you say you see the traffic jump to some degree?

I've tried this myself and sure enough the traffic jumps around slightly - it would only take an asynchronous blink and you'd have a sort of 'glitch in the matrix' affect.

I've been trying to get my stuff into Fortean Times' IHTM since I found out about the magazine in late '96

Try the magazine. The latest issue has a photo of a woman who videod herself sitting infront of a TV and claimed it was a time-slip. Surely anything's better than that... :p

Oops it happened again

Mine happened in Tesco on Sunday (29th Feb - significant date??) about 1.30ish. I was standing in the check out queue, idlely staring out of the window when a guy, with one of those "tea cosy" woollen hats on, and a girl on a mobile walked past the window. Hey, I'm a single guy and I was (ahem) window shopping, but as she moved the phone, I decided to look elsewhere. Must have been about 10 to 20 seconds later, my gaze has wandered and I had to move to let another customer past. I looked up again at the window and the same guy and girl are passing again. And she's moving the mobile phone in the same way. I intially freaked a little, hey if that happened what else is real?? No one around me had noticed. I watched for the guy and girl and they entered the store but I never approached them, what could I say? I have had Deja Vu on many occassions and this did not feel like that, there was a period of time between the first time she passed and the second. I'm convinced of that. I thought perhaps I had watched her through one of the other windows as she approached the one in front of me and therefore when she appeared there I had already pictured her passing. But that doesn't explain why she moved the mobile phone twice in the same manner.
If it was a glitch then somewhere out there (in there?) I'm just being hooked into a paste feeding machine...given that I was in Tesco.
Hey I'd really like to believe but I'm sure there's a logical explanation (I quite like Motherstalk's "How" explanation!).

trick of the limbic system - every visual image you have ever processed is retained within your brain, and if the brain decides to replay it - to your perception it is the same as seeing it again.

Glitch in the matrix x 2

Thought i'd tell the Fortean Times readership about a couple of 'glitches in the matrix' that happened to me this year. They're not the first, and i'm sure they won't be the last...

The first incident was during the summer while some friends and I were out for a picnic in Green Park, London. I was sitting chatting to a friend when I noticed a pretty woman in a rather distinctive pink top walk from the park entrance and along the path to the left hand side of where i was sitting. She wasn't dawdling and seemed to be quite determined in her walking. I turned back to my friend and continued to chat, when about 15 seconds later I saw the same woman enter the park again from the same entrance and continue down the path to the left, as she had done before. I checked to make sure the first woman wasn't further along that path, but she was nowhere to be seen. Hence, a glitch in the matrix.

The second event was in a multi-storey car park in Watford, Herts. My friend and I were in my car, and I was driving from the car park exit barrier to the entrance to the downhill 'spiral' which led out to the road several floors below. As I drove towards the exit 'spiral' I waited a few seconds as I had seen another car coming down the from the floor above. I pulled up to join the exit slip, my view of the slip now blocked by a concrete pillar, I waited for the other car to pass - I waited about 10 seconds but no car passed. I pulled out, but no other car was there. My friend asked me 'Did you just see a car then?' I answered 'yes' as a shiver ran down my back. 'She said 'I saw it too'. Spooky!

I've lost count of the number of paranormal events that i've witnessed in my life now. It seems that unexplainable events happen to me several times a year. Maybe some people attract them. My friends started referring to me as 'Spooks'.

What do you mean by "a glitch in the matrix"? Like in the movie?

Glitch in the matrix

A 'Glitch in the matrix' is just like in the film - where an object or person seems to jump, or you see a single action performed more than once - that's the only way I can describe it. Maybe someone else has a better way of putting it.

like wen a record jumps... a error in the program...if u saw the matrix cat scene ud understand

Hi

I have had the same experience a couple of times on an identical car park "exit spiral" in Manchester, UK. I've hesitated to look for any conclusion other than I had glimpsed the car further up the ramp than I thought and it had got out at the floor above, or it was on the "up" spiral ramp and I caught it wrong, or I had absentmindedly missed it as it passed me (unlikely).

In terms of pretty girls in pink tops in parks, could you have possibly seen her prior to entering the park, maybe walking along the side of the park up to the gate and "extrapolated" her walking along the path. The fact that you thought she was pretty implies you were thinking about her beyond the basic fact of her presence.

Henry Fort,

Do you mean something like this: a few days ago I did a stressful last minute Xmas shop. In a shop window I saw a distictive, gold-patterned candle and thought 'I suppose that would do, I've bought them before.' I went through the shop and down the spiral staircase, not really looking at the candle display in the middle of it. On the staircase, I suppose I thought about the candle again and decided it was quite a good present after all. Downstairs, I realised the one I had seen was the only one left and I was lucky there was one at all. At the desk, I told the assistant I was sorry she was going to have to disturb her staircase display. She looked rather suprised and so was I when it was not there. By this time, I _remembered_ seeing it on the staircase. But that was the last place I thought of/made a decision about it, and it was in the window.

Back