• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Glitch In The Matrix

I just found this old post and remembered that not too long ago, I experienced a "glitch in the Matrix," very similar to the one in the movie where Neo sees the same cat walking by twice.

Last year, I was taking a walk with my then two-and-a-half-year-old son on our local "Recreation Path." He loves throwing rocks in the water, so we went onto a little sandy plateau down by the river. You can see the path about fifty feet above and about a hundred-fifty feet away from you from that point... so we were still pretty close.

While A. was throwing rocks, I sat in the sand and looked at the passersby on the path. A guy with a beige baseball cap, a blue shirt and beige trousers walked out from behind some trees on the path that covered my view, and kept following the path at a brisk pace. I looked around some more and again at the path ca. 5 seconds later.

I saw the same man -- beige baseball cap, blue shirt, beige trousers -- walk out from behind the trees again, at the same brisk pace. Everything was exactly the same. I was too far away to see his face, though, so initially I thought it might have been two guys in "partner look" or something. I looked further down the path where there were no trees at all, and I should have seen the other man on there (he couldn't have gotten any further in that short of a time, unless he had broken into a run). Nothing. I kept following the "second" man with my eyes, and he was the only one walking the path.

It didn't freak me out, it was just very odd. What do you think?

faith2faith said:
I just found this old post and remembered that not too long ago, I experienced a "glitch in the Matrix," very similar to the one in the movie where Neo sees the same cat walking by twice.

Last year, I was taking a walk with my then two-and-a-half-year-old son on our local "Recreation Path." He loves throwing rocks in the water, so we went onto a little sandy plateau down by the river. You can see the path about fifty feet above and about a hundred-fifty feet away from you from that point... so we were still pretty close.

While A. was throwing rocks, I sat in the sand and looked at the passersby on the path. A guy with a beige baseball cap, a blue shirt and beige trousers walked out from behind some trees on the path that covered my view, and kept following the path at a brisk pace. I looked around some more and again at the path ca. 5 seconds later.

I saw the same man -- beige baseball cap, blue shirt, beige trousers -- walk out from behind the trees again, at the same brisk pace. Everything was exactly the same. I was too far away to see his face, though, so initially I thought it might have been two guys in "partner look" or something. I looked further down the path where there were no trees at all, and I should have seen the other man on there (he couldn't have gotten any further in that short of a time, unless he had broken into a run). Nothing. I kept following the "second" man with my eyes, and he was the only one walking the path.

It didn't freak me out, it was just very odd. What do you think?

Sounds almost exactly the same as my experience in Green Park - see earlier post

I read this thread some time ago and was somewhat sceptical, however I am pretty sure I experienced a 'glitch in the matrix' yesterday. I was sat in a beer garden with some mates and they were all chatting away. At the other side of the road there was a woman who looked about 35ish. She was walking from my right to left as I looked at her. She was quite good looking and I was checking her out as she walked past. I even had a peek at her arse (which was nice) as she went by so I know that she walked a good way past where I was sitting. I then turned to listen to the conversation that my mates were having. After a few seconds I turned back to look over the road and sure enough the same lady was walking back across from right to left again. It was exactly as it was before. I dont think that she would have had time to go back to where she originally started from then turn around to walk back again within the time that I was turned away - she was actually walking slowly as though in no particular rush. Also she was a well dressed lady and she had heels on - she didn't appear to by the type that would go running about. Therefore I think I witnessed a glitch in the matrix. Very weird.

As soon as I saw her the second time the first thing that I thought about was this thread. I said to my mate that was sat next to me (the only one facing the same way as me) that I was sure I had just seen the lady already walk past and asked him if he had, but unfortunately he had been engrossed in a conversation and hadn't seen it. Quite annoying really as there were about 10 us out together yesterday, but there were only us 2 facing the road and I was the only one who saw the lady. Would have been nice to have had someone else witness as confirmation.

One thing that I am weary of is that people wont believe my post. When I first joined these boards I was interested in the weird stuff that happens to people, but thought that nothing too unusual had happened to me. Having been on here for a while I have had my memory jogged and have now remembered a fair few experiences and shared them on the boards. It appears that weird things happen a lot more often then I would have believed previosuly - it is just that we either dont notice them or our memory chooses to block them out. I suppose it is just a way the brain has of dealing with them. I hope that readers of these boards wont take this account of my experience as being a load of bollocks because I have posted quite a few things now that have happened to me and I am sure some people will think that so much weird stuff cant happen to just one person. I assure you alll that everything I have posted on these boards are the truth as I have experienced them.

I believe that's how you remember it.

Being a bit scatter-minded, I've more than once been walking along and I suddenly remember something that makes me turn around and hurry in the other direction, and then after a few moments I decide that it's too late or not so important and I turn around again. So seeing me walk by twice wouldn't be too surprising.

Also time seems to jump sometimes when you're in a conversation. I put something on the grill and then have a chat and "just a moment later" there's smoke pouring from the grill. So my experience leads me to suspect my own perception before I decide that something strange has happened.

_farry_ said:
I believe that's how you remember it.

Being a bit scatter-minded, I've more than once been walking along and I suddenly remember something that makes me turn around and hurry in the other direction, and then after a few moments I decide that it's too late or not so important and I turn around again. So seeing me walk by twice wouldn't be too surprising.

Also time seems to jump sometimes when you're in a conversation. I put something on the grill and then have a chat and "just a moment later" there's smoke pouring from the grill. So my experience leads me to suspect my own perception before I decide that something strange has happened.

Yeh that could be it. I'm not convinced either way. I am certain in my own mind that I didn't turn away from the lady/road for more than a few seconds. Whether that is the truth of the matter or not I don't know. All I know is that it felt very strange as I watched her the second time. The feeling of deja vu was very strong, but it wasn't the usual deja vu as I know for a fact that she did walk past twice. Maybe I am finding similarities in my own mind, but I believe that she even looked down at herself (the way vain people do) to check herself out at exactly the same time/place on both passes. Everything about the two passes seemed the same. But I suppose she is going to walk in the same manner and if she is vain then she may check herself out on a regular basis. Maybe she was aware of me watching her (I feel like a perve now) and managed to kept her head up for a certain amount of time until she felt self-conscious and then looked down - if this is the case then it is likely that she would do it at about the same spot.

TommyK13 said:
Yeh that could be it. I'm not convinced either way. I am certain in my own mind that I didn't turn away from the lady/road for more than a few seconds. Whether that is the truth of the matter or not I don't know.
Having read your posts from when you joined I reckon youre the kind of guy that could have gone up to her and asked if she had just walked past twice... It might have put your might at rest and who knows where it may have wound up...

HenryFort said:
TommyK13 said:
Yeh that could be it. I'm not convinced either way. I am certain in my own mind that I didn't turn away from the lady/road for more than a few seconds. Whether that is the truth of the matter or not I don't know.
Having read your posts from when you joined I reckon youre the kind of guy that could have gone up to her and asked if she had just walked past twice... It might have put your might at rest and who knows where it may have wound up...

Probably with my girlfriend cutting my balls off.

TommyK13 said:
HenryFort said:
...It might have put your might at rest and who knows where it may have wound up...

Probably with my girlfriend cutting my balls off.
Yeah, women, the most inexplicable phenomenon known to man. Probably deserve their own thread.

The last month or two I've experienced several mini-repeats when watching tv. I'll be watching something and a few minutes later the same scene will be repeated word for word, when I ask the other half whether he saw it he just looks at me like I'm mad.

ive read that acutal time is about 1 second infront of percived time in most cases that is you read this 1 second ago
unless the brain has to act upon a situation where it uses its experience
ie catching a falling cup

hallybods said:
The last month or two I've experienced several mini-repeats when watching tv. I'll be watching something and a few minutes later the same scene will be repeated word for word, when I ask the other half whether he saw it he just looks at me like I'm mad.
TinFinger said:
I've read that acutal time is about 1 second in front of perceived time in most cases that is you read this 1 second ago
unless the brain has to act upon a situation where it uses its experience
ie catching a falling cup
Not quite the Matrix playing up, perhaps, but I used to get an odd effect sometimes when watching TV. It was mainly when a piece of loud dialogue was followed by a period of relative quiet. I'd hear the line spoken, and then, about 5 seconds later, during the quiet bit, I'd hear it again, muffled. Then we got a Digibox, and it stopped happening.

Turns out that in this area (just North of Birmingham), the analogue signal is about 5 seconds ahead of the digital one, for the main channels at least. What I was hearing was next door's TV, which was already digital, in the lulls in the dialogue on my TV. Of course, that only worked when we were both watching the same channel, which is probably why my little brain took so long to figure out what was going on!

Try it for yourself, say on BBC1: watch a scene on analogue, then switch your digital converter thingy on, and replay the last 5 seconds! Hours of fun for all the family.

We have cable TV downstairs but normal analgue upstairs. SOmetimes I'll be watching something in the bedroom and the boyfriend is watching the same things downstairs - I'll hear it twice, once upstairs and then echoing downstairs - it's quite a noticeable delay as well. Good though, if you miss-hear something :lol: :lol:

I was just thinking about the woman that walked past twice, and the guy in the baseball cap in the park. In both these instances only one person witnessed it "happen". I just wonder if perhaps you "see dead people". Maybe they weren't actually there? I've often wondered how many times we see people in a crowd who may not actually be there.
Just one of those thoughts that crosses my mind when I've nowt to do.......... :roll:

EvilPumpkin said:
I was just thinking about the woman that walked past twice, and the guy in the baseball cap in the park. In both these instances only one person witnessed it "happen". I just wonder if perhaps you "see dead people". Maybe they weren't actually there? I've often wondered how many times we see people in a crowd who may not actually be there.
Just one of those thoughts that crosses my mind when I've nowt to do.......... :roll:

I am pretty certain that I have seen a ghost on two separate occasions - although probably the same ghost as it was in a shop I used to work at. The same ghost had been seen by my employers, although they never mentioned it to me until after I had seen it myself and asked them if the shop was haunted. But the lady on the street wasn't a ghost as when she walked past the second time I nudged my mate and mentioned that I was sure she had just walked past. My mate actually looked at her and shrugged saying he hadn't seen her walk past already (but he wasn't looking). So unless both me and my mate see dead people then I doubt she was a ghost. Anyway, Im not convinced that ghosts can have such damn fine arses.

From today. Perhaps not a glitch, maybe more of a rewind?

Every 2 weeks or so I take my laundry to the same laundry place for a service wash. I just never got around to buying the same normal domestic appliances as everyone else.

At about 1130 this morning I walked up to the door of the place and a man of about 60 passed in front of me. He had quite a severe deformity of the arms, I think he had upper arms only and these were not fully developed, one ending in a partial hand. He was only wearing a stripey T-shirt on his body so it was plain to see.

I thought nothing more of him until at about 1415 I was walking up to the door of the laundry place again and he walked right in front of me all over again. I don't know if it was a carbon copy incident, as both times I was intent on my laundry situation and didnt really notice him until he was immediately in front of me.

Never seen the guy before.

HenryFort said:

Every 2 weeks or so I take my laundry to the same laundry place for a service wash. I just never got around to buying the same normal domestic appliances as everyone else.

At about 1130 this morning I walked up to the door of the place and a man of about 60 passed in front of me. He had quite a severe deformity of the arms, I think he had upper arms only and these were not fully developed, one ending in a partial hand. He was only wearing a stripey T-shirt on his body so it was plain to see.

I thought nothing more of him until at about 1415 I was walking up to the door of the laundry place again and he walked right in front of me all over again. I don't know if it was a carbon copy incident, as both times I was intent on my laundry situation and didnt really notice him until he was immediately in front of me.

Is your name Frank Trueman?

The guy is just on a loop! Head for the port, get yourself a boat and keep on sailing. Stay strong and we will see you outside in the real world in a few days.

I was a glitch in the matrix last week. I was a a rehearsal for Guys and Dolls, and while I was waiting for my ride, I decided to take the opportunity to go put my books in my locker (I don't usually have time to go to my locker after school). As I walked out the door, I said to my three friends sitting next to the door, "if anyone cares, I'll be right back."

I got halfway done the hall before I realized a had forgotten a book. So I walked back in the room got the book and walked towards the door, unintentionally looking like had never left the room. As walked past my friends, I said, "again, if anyone cares, I'll be right back." It was hilarious to see their reactions because they hadn't realized that I had come back in.

“What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, although puzzling questions are not beyond all conjecture.”

TommyK13 said:
HenryFort said:

The guy is just on a loop! Head for the port, get yourself a boat and keep on sailing. Stay strong and we will see you outside in the real world in a few days.
Do you mean Truman Burbank, the Truman Show?

Anyway, false "glitch in the matrix" alarm. I was doing laundry again today. He works in a charity shop just nearby.

HenryFort said:
TommyK13 said:
HenryFort said:

Do you mean Truman Burbank, the Truman Show?

Anyway, false "glitch in the matrix" alarm. I was doing laundry again today. He works in a charity shop just nearby.

Yes I did. I was actually thinking 'Dont write Frank Trueman' as I was typing the message out. Still bloody typed it!

I've got really interested again in 'matrix glitches' and came across this video. I think it is old and maybe it has been discussed already but if not it's quite erm interesting. Make of it what you want.

http://www.wat.tv/video/collision-myste ... ey61_.html

edited to add: Reading more, there is apparently a side road or access to the left from where the second lorry is coming from.

I'd love to read more [new] personal accounts. Some people seem to share an effect that they call a 'black out' and which lasts about 1-3 seconds. Where no reality exists any more and they find themselves in a dark void.

Dingo667 said:
I've got really interested again in 'matrix glitches' and came across this video. I think it is old and maybe it has been discussed already..
Yep, I'm pretty sure it has - couldn't tell you exactly where, though!

Not exactly the same thing as the topic of this thread but the mention of the Truman Show reminded me.
Sometimes I walk into an area, say out of a shop into a busy shopping centre or turn a corner onto a street with quite a few people on it and for a brief moment everyone isn't moving then they all start walking and talking, like the scene in the Truman Show where the director shouts 'action' just before Truman comes out of his door and all the actors in the street start walking etc.

marionXXX said:
Not exactly the same thing as the topic of this thread but the mention of the Truman Show reminded me.
Sometimes I walk into an area, say out of a shop into a busy shopping centre or turn a corner onto a street with quite a few people on it and for a brief moment everyone isn't moving then they all start walking and talking, like the scene in the Truman Show where the director shouts 'action' just before Truman comes out of his door and all the actors in the street start walking etc.

Hey, everybody! Marion's rumbled us! The show's over...

;)

i actually think i solved another of my glitches in the matrix a few months back ... i was at a gym which was on the first floor of a municipal building with windows facing down onto the street below ... i was running on a machine and i watched a particular fellow kind of a emo stroke screamo type walk left to right across my field of vision ... he was fairly noticeable in a quiet neighbourhood ...

then less than a minute later i am still running and he does the same thing again walks right the way across in front of the building ... my glitch-in-the-matrix alert sounded ... a few minutes later i came to this conclusion ... i couldnt be sure i saw him walk in the same direction both times ... i was actually focussed on the way he looked in baggy gothmo clothing fairly out of place and the fact that he was simply ambling along so lazily ... i actually became convinced that he had walked in front of the building and then decided to walk back ...

it was almost as if i was concentrating on what i was doing ( which i couldnt stop as i was on a machine ) and him as a visual motif more than the mechanics of what he was doing ... then i remembered someone elses glitch in the matrix which was a guy having just stopped running near the lock of a canal in london or something and i thought .. i wonder if thats the same deal ?

HenryFort said:
my glitch-in-the-matrix alert sounded ... a few minutes later i came to this conclusion ... i couldnt be sure i saw him walk in the same direction both times ...

Seeing people walk past windows can lead to confusion if there are mirrors about too.

HenryFort said:
i actually think i solved another of my glitches in the matrix a few months back ... i was at a gym which was on the first floor of a municipal building with windows facing down onto the street below ... i was running on a machine and i watched a particular fellow kind of a emo stroke screamo type walk left to right across my field of vision ... he was failry noticeable in a quiet neighbourhood ...

then less than a minute later i am still running and he does the same thing again walks right the way across in front of the building ... my glitch-in-the-matrix alert sounded ... a few minutes later i came to this conclusion ... i couldnt be sure i saw him walk in the same direction both times ... i was actually focussed on the way he looked in baggy gothmo clothing fairly out of place and the fact that he was simply ambling along so lazily ... i actually became convinced that he had walked in front of the building and then decided to walk back ...

it was almost as if i was concentrating on what i was doing ( which i couldnt stop as i was on a machine ) and him as a visual motif more than the mechanics of what he was doing ... then i remembered someone elses glitch in the matrix which was a guy having just stopped running near the lock of a canal in london or something and i thought .. i wonder if thats the same deal ?

Exactly the same "glitch" I experienced and reported on Page 2. Someone walks past a window and then the same person walks past again repeating the action.

It'll be the "god computer" having a problem maintaining exterior and interior programs in conjunction with one another.

HenryFort said:
i watched a particular fellow kind of a emo stroke screamo type walk left to right across my field of vision

I have no idea what this means. Does that mean that I'm from a parallel universe?

Back