• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Glitch In The Matrix

staticgirl said:
I totally can't tell the difference between the two and I'm a goth... :)

I can't either, and I used to be a goth 30 years ago (mind you, that probably means I haven't kept up with the latest in goth culture).

HenryFort said:
emo and screamo describe two types of emotionally anguished youth stereotypes with poor dress sense and bad haircuts
these are terms i use as frequently as possible !

I can't tell them apart but I think they look quite cool. Could you post some picks of what you consider good haircuts and dress sense please?

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

A GLITCH IN THE MATRIX

Anna Webb

It was Tuesday October 1, 2003 at lunchtime (around Noon). I was sitting at a traffic light in the left turn lane waiting for the green arrow. There was alot of lunchtime traffic.

I was first in line. The traffic was flowing in both directions across the intersection in front of me - and I was just staring straight ahead. But, I particularly noticed the traffic flowing from left to right as I waited for the left turn signal.

I noticed a white SUV crossing the intersection travelling approximately 30-40 mph - and as I observed it, it "jumped back" about 10 feet and went across again.

I didn't see it jump back, it was just going across - then it was going across again. It definitely wasn't two different cars of the same type. There was a continuous line of traffic moving across at the time. The scene simply repeated itself. Had I blinked, changed the radio station, looked away or up at the light and then back at the traffic, I would have missed it.

It seemed as if a dimension overlapped or possibly a time warp occurred. It didn't feel like Deja Vu but that's exactly what it was only in the physical. But it reminded me of the scene in the first Matrix movie when the cat walks across the doorway, and then repeats itself - the glitch in the Matrix. Any ideas?

Anna Webb
Cincinnati, Ohio

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20030812183333/http://www.forteantimes.com:80/happened/MATRIX.shtml

I had a weird thing happen earlier... not sure if it should be under glitches in the matrix, or strange coincidences. Anyway, I was in the car at a roundabout, and glanced up at the sky. For a second or two it looked kind of pixelated. I thought to myself “oh, a glitch... they obviously haven’t got the sky tuned in properly” (my eyesight isn’t great, it was almost certainly that), and my mind then ran on, as it does to the film, and “What was the name of the Keanu Reeves character?” (Look, I saw it once, years ago, wasn’t keen, etc. I’m allowed to forget!) As I thought that, a car passed on the roundabout, the last three letters of the numbe plate were.... NEO.
OK, only a bit odd, but kind of neat

I had a weird thing happen earlier... not sure if it should be under glitches in the matrix, or strange coincidences. Anyway, I was in the car at a roundabout, and glanced up at the sky. For a second or two it looked kind of pixelated. I thought to myself “oh, a glitch... they obviously haven’t got the sky tuned in properly” (my eyesight isn’t great, it was almost certainly that), and my mind then ran on, as it does to the film, and “What was the name of the Keanu Reeves character?” (Look, I saw it once, years ago, wasn’t keen, etc. I’m allowed to forget!) As I thought that, a car passed on the roundabout, the last three letters of the numbe plate were.... NEO.
OK, only a bit odd, but kind of neat
Proof that we're in the Matrix!

I got stuck in a traffic jam here the other week so I’ve been checking in on the camera every so often. One of those cars goes a bit weird. I’ve not seen any issues with the camera before

I got stuck in a traffic jam here the other week so I’ve been checking in on the camera every so often. One of those cars goes a bit weird. I’ve not seen any issues with the camera before
Video glitch, probably caused by the camera / software processing too slowly (low framerate), causing video tearing.
Or something like that.

I still keep hearing a sound outside like some kind of computer start up, a sort of whawp sound. I can’t find anything like it, it’s not Windows or Apple. It’s weird it’s outside at random times. Maybe it’s the Matrix.

I still keep hearing a sound outside like some kind of computer start up, a sort of whawp sound. I can’t find anything like it, it’s not Windows or Apple. It’s weird it’s outside at random times. Maybe it’s the Matrix.
Could it be a bird? They learn to imitate domestic sounds. Trimphones tones were popular with them back in the day.

Could it be a bird? They learn to imitate domestic sounds. Trimphones tones were popular with them back in the day.

There was one that hung around the local makerspace that sounded identical to the "chirp-chirp"...of a car alarm when you set it. Drove me nuts until I figured out what it was.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it was certainly like a glitch in the matrix. I was watching TV late at night a couple of years ago, but was really tired. I rubbed my eye a little too hard, pressing one eye while keeping the other open. Bizarrely, the whole image on TV popped into full-depth 3D while I was pressing down on my left eye. As soon as I released the pressure on my closed eye, the TV went back to a boring, flat, normal image. I just can't work out how my brain could interpret 3D when I had one eye closed, let alone project 3D from a fully 2D image.

CORRECTION: I actually had both eyes half open while applying too much pressure to the eyelids, which provoked the 3D TV illusion.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it was certainly like a glitch in the matrix. I was watching TV late at night a couple of years ago, but was really tired. I rubbed my eye a little too hard, pressing one eye while keeping the other open. Bizarrely, the whole image on TV popped into full-depth 3D while I was pressing down on my left eye. As soon as I released the pressure on my closed eye, the TV went back to a boring, flat, normal image. I just can't work out how my brain could interpret 3D when I had one eye closed, let alone project 3D from a fully 2D image.

CORRECTION: I actually had both eyes half open while applying too much pressure to the eyelids, which provoked the 3D TV illusion.
You literally couldn’t believe your eyes, I guess.

Two guys that look identical, who also have the same name, not related.
Wait.
What?
I think there was a recent case in the States where someone was released from prison having served several years for a crime he didn't commit. The actual murderer was so alike and had the same name that they looked like twins (far closer than the above example) albeit wholly unrelated.

Have to say thoug; in terms of likeness, the hats, specs and ginger beards are doing some heavy lifting here.
Indeed.
I look identical to Groucho Marx.
Or at least I do when I wear this get-up.
1673979889988.png

how convincingly a bird can mimic a technology sound.
Very true: a member of my family has a parrot, and it imitates aerosol spraycans, kettles boiling, phone/tablet ringtone and even noises like the weird modern reversing alarm 'rasp' noise which large vans & trucks have (this is possibly just a UK/EU thing: when I was in Canada, they still just used reversing beepers...I mean trucks, not parrots)

Last edited:
Very true: a member of my family has a parrot, and it imitates aerosol spraycans, kettles boiling, phone/tablet ringtone and even noises like the weird modern reversing alarm 'rasp' noise which large vans & trucks have (this is possibly just a UK/EU thing: when I was in Canada, they still just used reversing beepers...I mean trucks, not parrots)
My brother kept parrots which learned to imitate his telephone manner. He was often on call for his railway job.

One of the parrots would make the ring tone then say 'Hello, yes, this is Mark. What have you done now?'
:chuckle:

Back