• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Haunted Police Station- for a change!

llkit

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Readers will forgive me- I'm posting in my partners account, but I thought I would relate another strange tale, following my experience as a young student with a haunted hospital.

Some time later, for better or worse, I ended up as a regular PC in a large police force which shall remain nameless. My local station was a main one and there were several satellite stations in the area, which were open to a lesser degree and only partially staffed during the day, by different teams and officers.

The station in question is apparently the oldest in the country. It forms the model for Victorian era Police Stations, which means it looks like a large house. I don't want to identify it, for various reasons, but it ceased to be used by the force some years ago.

Now as a fresh faced recruit, I knew nothing of it's history and was taken there on my first day, by my tutor constable. Over the following years I spent many evenings there, during infrequent quiet spells, either using the kitchen and toilets on a break or making use of the computer terminal to update crime reports, as there was a distinct lack of computers at the main station, especially at shift changeovers.

Over time, I began to feel increasingly uncomfortable sat in the dark in the main office, near the old cell area. There was a presence there- which I can't really describe- and I always felt a great weight lifting from me the minute I got into my Panda car, parked outside. I personally never saw or heard anything, although once I came to know of the buildings past, then I would leave the lights on- call me soft if you will!!!

I asked some of the older hands about this and was told the building was haunted, by a long dead Sgt with a cape and handlebar tash. My Sgt told me a lot of his generation refused to set foot inside it and would eat in their car.

Knowing this and with a new 'camera phone' I set about photographing the inside of the building one night at about 3am, on a break. A few of the pictures- especially those on the stairs- showed a couple 'orbs', these things of much debate- be they dust or entities, who knows??

To compound this, a colleague of mine related a tale of when he brought his 10 year old son to the building. His Sgt happened to be upstairs at the time (the main entrance door was at the foot of the stairs), and they had a conversation, with the Sgt on the landing, the officer by the door.

His son began to pull on his shirt whispering 'dad..dad..dad!' and was told to be quiet and not interrupt! This lasted a minute or so, then he turned to his son to chide him for being rude. His son replied ' I just wanted to know who the woman in the funny dress stood next to the Sgt!'

Neither my colleague, or his Sgt had seen anyone else on the stairs and the boy went on to describe a woman wearing a wide brimmed hat with a vivid red colored ankle length Victorian era dress being stood on the balcony at the same time, to the left of the Sgt.

My colleague said his son wasn't aware of the history of the building and wasn't into embellishing things or telling lies. This tale was told to me by both parties concerned on separate occasions some years after the event and there was nothing to make me think they had concocted the tale to frighten a Probationer or to idly create some B.S.

It made me wonder about the orbs I photographed on the stairs, or if I had just photgraphed dust particles with a flash?! Still, I often drive past the building now and again and slow down, hoping to catch a glimpse of a red dress at the windows........

Thanks for posting this, it's an interesting story. I can imagine that the Stone Tape theory might be relevant, a place where people have felt such extremes of emotion that they are imprinted on the building.

Interesting account, I've experienced some strange atmospheric disturbances whilst in the cell of another very old station. I believe that old, Victorian era stations are a perfect ground for the intense human emotions that Sogna mentioned to become externalised and over enough time absorbed into the actual sub-atomic structure of the building. Under the right circumstances these collective energies may produce all sorts of weird manifestations that certain sensitive people can pick up on.

Interesting story but if it was the oldest station in the country, it's fairly well known.

Back