A Haunted Pub Toilet?

eziofan

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Many years ago I used to drink in a pub in East London called the Kings Head (locally called 'The Nuthouse'). It was quite a big old pub and was situated across the road from West Ham Church which has a history going back to the Norman period. One night, during an after hours "late night tasting" with the landlord and his wife we got to talking about the history of the pub. During the conversation June, the landlady, laughed and said "you probably wont believe this but the ladies toilets are haunted". She explained that a couple of customers had reported seeing a misty figure in the Ladies that gradually faded away. We had a good laugh and carried on chatting. Didn't give this much thought until about 5 years later when my future Mother in Law, Jenny, came up London from South Wales for a visit and I took her into the pub for a drink. She often claimed that she could see ghosts and often attended a Spiritualist Church in Swansea. As we were about to leave the pub she said she needed to spend a penny and popped into the Ladies. When she came out she asked me if the toilets were haunted! She said that as she was washing her hands she saw a misty figure of a lady that gradually faded from the feet up. I had only known Jenny for a few months and had never even mentioned the pub let alone the haunted toilets. What has always puzzled me is that in such a big old pub the ladies toilet is the most unlikely place to harbour a ghost story so was it just a bizarre coincidence or did Jenny really see a ghost?

WeirdExeter

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
There was a haunted ladies' toilets featured in an episode of Extreme Hauntings (or similar name) that can be found on YouTube

Edit: found a link for you, its Extreme Ghost Stories:

Highly recommend watching these from the '90s, all from around the UK, and one features an old office building with a ghostly female entering a ladies's loo and then a large number of sink taps turning on all at once

Last edited:

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Some people die on toilets for different reasons, so it's conceivable.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Didn't Elvis Presley reportedly cark it on the crapper?
And Lenny Bruce was found dead on his arse.
And Judy Garland ceased to pee.
And Evelyn Waugh skipped a cog as he dropped a log.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Elvis died on a chair in his bathroom, not on the toilet. Lenny's corpse was moved to the toilet and made to look as if he'd died shooting up heroin by the police.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Ring O Bells at Middleton nr Manchester had a ghost that would
push men in the back wile they were using the urinals, according to the
then landlady this started quite a few fights, been there a few times but
never seen anything, and I suppose it as changed a lot since my last visit
but it had a reputation for hauntings, one room at the time was kept locked
though they would let us sit and have a pint in there, and a passage was said
to run to the church and Bores Head? down on the main road. again supposedly
haunted by the ghost of a Caviler, supposedly they found 2 skeletons in armor
under the cellar floor.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
My one-time local - The Bow Bells in East London - is quite proud of it's toilet ghost. Back in the day (of coach tours), the tourist 'hoards' who had ordered their drinks, gone to the loo then came back would be regaled with the various tales by the guide ... only for them to go back into the bogs to see if owt happened. :)

Trevp666

Reaction score
I should expect there are a lot of otherwise quiet pubs out there that benefit from a bit of extra trade due to having a 'toilet ghost'.....

Amergin

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Can’t really not mention this:

“Vic Bob even more unhaunted Afternoon Delights Episode #13 Even More Un haunted”

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
It also calls to mind a "Most Haunted" episode when in the loos of an allegedly haunted pub, Yvette nearly shat hersen at a noise ... which turned out to be the automated air freshener.
From that day to this, I can't help referring her to "Pants Yvetter"!

Trevp666

Reaction score
I remember that episode.
But even though I remember that episode, I still jump at the sound of one of those going off if I'm visiting 'the little boys room' of an establishment.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Not a good reaction if you're visiting a location, being recorded, as looking for sudden noises.
Even Harry Enfeild with his "Double-take Brothers" might've avoided it ...

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
Didn't Vic and his wife appear on a celebrity version of Most Haunted or something similar? I recall ads for it and he's saying to the camera "I'm sorry we're leaving" which implied they'd been spooked enough to go but obviously could have been any reason.