• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

eziofan

Ephemeral Spectre
Many years ago I used to drink in a pub in East London called the Kings Head (locally called 'The Nuthouse'). It was quite a big old pub and was situated across the road from West Ham Church which has a history going back to the Norman period. One night, during an after hours "late night tasting" with the landlord and his wife we got to talking about the history of the pub. During the conversation June, the landlady, laughed and said "you probably wont believe this but the ladies toilets are haunted". She explained that a couple of customers had reported seeing a misty figure in the Ladies that gradually faded away. We had a good laugh and carried on chatting. Didn't give this much thought until about 5 years later when my future Mother in Law, Jenny, came up London from South Wales for a visit and I took her into the pub for a drink. She often claimed that she could see ghosts and often attended a Spiritualist Church in Swansea. As we were about to leave the pub she said she needed to spend a penny and popped into the Ladies. When she came out she asked me if the toilets were haunted! She said that as she was washing her hands she saw a misty figure of a lady that gradually faded from the feet up. I had only known Jenny for a few months and had never even mentioned the pub let alone the haunted toilets. What has always puzzled me is that in such a big old pub the ladies toilet is the most unlikely place to harbour a ghost story so was it just a bizarre coincidence or did Jenny really see a ghost?

There was a haunted ladies' toilets featured in an episode of Extreme Hauntings (or similar name) that can be found on YouTube

Edit: found a link for you, its Extreme Ghost Stories:

Highly recommend watching these from the '90s, all from around the UK, and one features an old office building with a ghostly female entering a ladies's loo and then a large number of sink taps turning on all at once

Last edited:
Some people die on toilets for different reasons, so it's conceivable.

Didn't Elvis Presley reportedly cark it on the crapper?
And Lenny Bruce was found dead on his arse.
And Judy Garland ceased to pee.
And Evelyn Waugh skipped a cog as he dropped a log.

Elvis died on a chair in his bathroom, not on the toilet. Lenny's corpse was moved to the toilet and made to look as if he'd died shooting up heroin by the police.

The Ring O Bells at Middleton nr Manchester had a ghost that would
push men in the back wile they were using the urinals, according to the
then landlady this started quite a few fights, been there a few times but
never seen anything, and I suppose it as changed a lot since my last visit
but it had a reputation for hauntings, one room at the time was kept locked
though they would let us sit and have a pint in there, and a passage was said
to run to the church and Bores Head? down on the main road. again supposedly
haunted by the ghost of a Caviler, supposedly they found 2 skeletons in armor
under the cellar floor.

My one-time local - The Bow Bells in East London - is quite proud of it's toilet ghost. Back in the day (of coach tours), the tourist 'hoards' who had ordered their drinks, gone to the loo then came back would be regaled with the various tales by the guide ... only for them to go back into the bogs to see if owt happened. :)

I should expect there are a lot of otherwise quiet pubs out there that benefit from a bit of extra trade due to having a 'toilet ghost'.....

Can’t really not mention this:

“Vic Bob even more unhaunted Afternoon Delights Episode #13 Even More Un haunted”

It also calls to mind a "Most Haunted" episode when in the loos of an allegedly haunted pub, Yvette nearly shat hersen at a noise ... which turned out to be the automated air freshener.
From that day to this, I can't help referring her to "Pants Yvetter"!

I remember that episode.
But even though I remember that episode, I still jump at the sound of one of those going off if I'm visiting 'the little boys room' of an establishment.

Not a good reaction if you're visiting a location, being recorded, as looking for sudden noises.
Even Harry Enfeild with his "Double-take Brothers" might've avoided it ...

Didn't Vic and his wife appear on a celebrity version of Most Haunted or something similar? I recall ads for it and he's saying to the camera "I'm sorry we're leaving" which implied they'd been spooked enough to go but obviously could have been any reason.

an old office building with a ghostly female entering a ladies's loo and then a large number of sink taps turning on all at once
That happened to me. All the taps would turn on as I walked past. :omg:
They were fancy electronic non-contact ones, activated, as @Monstrosa shrewdly pointed out, by my reflective cycling jackets. :chuckle:

That happened to me. All the taps would turn on as I walked past. :omg:
They were fancy electronic non-contact ones, activated, as @Monstrosa shrewdly pointed out, by my reflective cycling jackets. :chuckle:
I just had similar (well, sort of). My shower was malfunctioning and would just stop midway through my showering. So I'd turn it off, get out and get dressed and just suffer being slightly soapy for the rest of the day. One day I'd done just this, it was evening time and I was sitting in front of the TV when I heard the shower come on in the bathroom. Nearly jumped out of my (soapy) skin! I'd not fully turned the shower off, was what had happened, and it was left on 'low'. So when it eventually came back to life very much later on, water poured out.

Now I need a new shower.

I just had similar (well, sort of). My shower was malfunctioning and would just stop midway through my showering. So I'd turn it off, get out and get dressed and just suffer being slightly soapy for the rest of the day. One day I'd done just this, it was evening time and I was sitting in front of the TV when I heard the shower come on in the bathroom. Nearly jumped out of my (soapy) skin! I'd not fully turned the shower off, was what had happened, and it was left on 'low'. So when it eventually came back to life very much later on, water poured out.

Now I need a new shower.
Is it electric? You might find a plumber who can fix it. Internal washers wearing out or summat, I dunno.

Is it electric? You might find a plumber who can fix it. Internal washers wearing out or summat, I dunno.
I am afraid the shower has had it. We have such hard water here that showers have an approximate life of about 18 months. Son Two came round the other day to have a look (and he was going to install my new one, but apparently 'this is the new replacement version, it's exactly the same as your old one, just a newer version, a like for like replacement' wasn't actually true, was it Mira?) and it's completely deaded.

Now I need a new shower.
Our old electric shower pump (Salamander) failed after just 4 years.
On our electrician/plumber's advice I bought a Stuart Turner Monsoon from Screwfix but, given my limited DIY skills, I didn't fancy trying to install it myself. Ended up having to pay for 2 hours labour (£200).

Our old electric shower pump (Salamander) failed after just 4 years.
On our electrician/plumber's advice I bought a Stuart Turner Monsoon from Screwfix but, given my limited DIY skills, I didn't fancy trying to install it myself. Ended up having to pay for 2 hours labour (£200).
Four YEARS!!!! That's good going round here. Although, admittedly, this shower has done me nearly three years, and I don't know how long it was in before that.

Four YEARS!!!! That's good going round here. Although, admittedly, this shower has done me nearly three years, and I don't know how long it was in before that.
The old Salamander shower came as part of a total bathroom makeover.
If I'd known what poor quality Salamanders were, I would have insisted on a Stuart Turner 4 years ago.

Back