• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Helping Hand?

A

Anonymous

Robin M., Goldfield, Nev. U.S.A.,

In about 1957 or 1958 when I was around 14 my girlfriend, Cherie, boyfriend, Steve, and I ran away from home in Hollywood, Cal. Steve was old enough to drive and had a car. We had camping equipment, slept in campgrounds, shoplifted food, learned how to siphon gasoline (petrol), and picked up hitchhikers. We weren't really delinquents, just adventurous and apparently, not too bright.

We ended up in the middle of the empty Nevada desert somewhere near Goldfield, south of Tonapah, when Steve's car broke down at a crossroad with a cafe and garage. An old self-described "desert rat" named Haybag Johnson approached us as we were trying to decide what to do and offered to help us. But his help isn't what this story is about.

He took us out to an abandoned gold mine, with outbuildings, and a dry water tower. We set up camp, and Haybag bought us food, took us visiting other old hermits, and generally took care of us.

One night we were out on a back road and Haybag's pick-up truck went off the road. We were completely stuck in the loose sand. There was nothing to do so we decided to wait until daylight and hike out. Steve, Cherie and I got in the back of the truck and gazed up at the stars, which, with no clouds, and no light pollution were bright enough to read by.

Back then, UFOs were called flying saucers. Cherie and I decided to telepathically contact one and ask for help getting us out of the sand. We didn't really believe that would work, but it passed the time. We watched the stars and silently called out for help.

After an hour or so one of the stars got brighter and brighter. We grabbed each other and yelled to Haybag. The "star" got about as big as a dime held at arm's length. We were all silent, just staring up.

Then the truck began to move. It rose a couple of feet in the air, then gently touched down in the middle of the road. Then the star blinked out.

We were picked up by the police a couple of days later and returned home. I lost track of my friends over the years, but always wondered about that night.

Then a couple of years ago I searched for Cherie on the Internet, and found her phone number. I called immediately and the first thing she said was, "Is that you, Robin? What do you remember about that night in the desert?" Our memories were exactly the same, except I remember screaming and she remembered laughing.

I never found Steve and I'm sure Haybag is in that big gold mine in the sky. I've seen a couple of other UFOs over the years and across the country, but nothing like our rescue in the desert.

Fascinating story.

An old self-described "desert rat" named Haybag Johnson approached us as we were trying to decide what to do and offered to help us. ...

He took us out to an abandoned gold mine, with outbuildings, and a dry water tower.

For a moment I thought it was going to go all Wolf Creek on me!
I'm glad it didn't.

Wow that's amazing. I don't know about anyone else but it's the first time I've read of anything like that happening... is it a one-time event?

Is it the sort of thing that - depending on belief system and what-have-you - might be reported as the work of god/angels rather than UFO / star as in this case?

Would have been good to know if there was any sort of sound or vibration (wind, even) from the 'star'.

Back