• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A History Of Textiles

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
We don't seem to a Thread devoted to ancient textiles so lets spin the yarn here.

Textile archaeologists use ancient tools to weave a tapestry of the past
From clay artifacts, scientists learn how fabrics were made long ago

Norse sails loomed off the shores of the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, along the northeastern coast of Great Britain, on June 8, 793. The seafaring invaders sacked the island’s undefended monastery. The Viking Age had begun. For more than 270 years, the sight of red-and-white-striped Viking sails heralded an incoming raid. Those mighty sails that drove the explorers’ ships were made by craftspeople, mostly women, toiling with spindles and looms.

“There would have been no Viking Age without textiles,” says archaeologist Eva Andersson Strand, director of the Centre for Textile Research at the University of Copenhagen, in old Viking territory.

Yet textiles have not received much attention from archaeologists until recently. Andersson Strand is part of a new wave of researchers — mostly women themselves — who think that the fabrics in which people wrapped their bodies, their babies and their dead were just as important as the clay pots in which people preserved food, or the arrowheads with which hunters took down prey.

These researchers want to know how ancient spinners and weavers, from Viking territory and elsewhere in Europe and the Middle East, fashioned sheep’s coats into sails — as well as diapers, shrouds, tapestries and innumerable other textiles. Since the Industrial Revolution, when fabric crafts migrated from hearth to factory, most people have forgotten how much work it once required to create a tablecloth or wedding veil, or 120 square meters of sailcloth to propel a longboat across the water.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/textile-archaeologists-use-ancient-tools-weave-tapestry-past

Somewhat coincidentally, I was recently reading a 19th Century account of industrial diseases.

It is not, perhaps, surprising that Sheffield fork-grinders suffered horribly from lung disease. The Victorians were very well-aware of occupational hazards and took the trouble to document the life-expectancies of workers, more for insurance purposes than to alleviate suffering by interventions in the trades.

Thanks to Lewis Carroll, we are probably all aware of the problems faced by hatters. Fabric-workers, more generally, were exposed to lung-diseases. In recent times, byssinosis has been associated with cotton, especially in the areas it is produced. In Great Britain, it was linen which gained notoriety for inducing respiratory disease.

An interesting paper here on byssinosis in Ulster.:(

A piece of fabric found in a bog 40 years ago has been confirmed as Scotland's oldest known tartan at over 400 years old.

A scrap of fabric found in a Highland peat bog 40 years ago is likely to be the oldest tartan ever discovered in Scotland, new tests have established.
The fabric is believed to have been created in about the 16th Century, making it more than 400 years old.
It was found in a Glen Affric peat bog, in the Highlands, in the early 1980s.
The Scottish Tartans Authority (STA) commissioned dye analysis and radiocarbon testing of the textile to prove its age.
Using high resolution digital microscopy, four initial colours of green, brown and possibly red and yellow were identified.
The dye analysis confirmed the use of indigo or woad in the green but was inconclusive for the other colours, probably due to the dyestuff having degraded.

More details at the link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65081312

Oh!

We have a scrap of textile from Oakbank Crannog in the Scottish Crannog centre.

2;1 twill weave, like jeans.

Made from very fine wool indeed.

We havent tested it for colouring yet.
Tartan of course.

When I was doing Archeology course there was lots of interest in loom weight, spindle whorls and piercing tools, but not a lot of interest in the actual textile. I was told that this is because so little evidence survives in our climate.

Personally I think the idea of dying cloth is interesting, it involves a lot of preparation and experimentation too dye wool. There must have been a good reason to come up with the 4 thread coloured fabric Min refers to above, not something you would do for fun.

When I was doing Archeology course there was lots of interest in loom weight, spindle whorls and piercing tools, but not a lot of interest in the actual textile. I was told that this is because so little evidence survives in our climate.

Personally I think the idea of dying cloth is interesting, it involves a lot of preparation and experimentation too dye wool. There must have been a good reason to come up with the 4 thread coloured fabric Min refers to above, not something you would do for fun.

Isn't there a lot of interest but not that much survives in our climate? certainly surviving textiles are prized :)

I do think that "for fun" was as valid in the past as it is now, once you stop being one meal away from dead - and even then there could well have been oral humour for example!

Isn't there a lot of interest but not that much survives in our climate? certainly surviving textiles are prized :)

I do think that "for fun" was as valid in the past as it is now, once you stop being one meal away from dead - and even then there could well have been oral humour for example!
And having better clothes than your neighbour.:curt:

Ask anyone who works with textiles (I do!) and they'll tell you that experimenting with colours and textures is something that's endlessly fascinating, and I'm sure the same was true in the past.

Skill has always had value, and textile workers would have wanted, probably needed, to produce fine items and novel techniques, for barter or reputation :)

Pristine sweater in parcel posted in 1807

A 200-year-old sweater in a traditional Faroese knit has been found in a stash of 19th-century letters at The National Archives in our Prize Papers collection. The jumper, handknitted in vibrantly coloured fine wool, was intended for a woman in Denmark, but never reached its destination because the vessel on which it was shipped was seized by the British Navy during the Second Battle of Copenhagen.

Associate Prof Erling Isholm, from the University of the Faroe Islands, and Margretha Nónklett, from the country’s National Museum, travelled to The National Archives to see the parcel opened for the first time, 217 years after it was mailed.

5649920b345638f125b2919ed608db95

The same shipment contained a sample of fine women’s knee length woollen stockings and fabric samples. The export of men’s stockings was a key part of the Faroese economy at this time when ‘wool was gold’ for these island communities.

The red sweater was shipped from Tórshavn on the cargo ship Anne Marie on 20 August 1807 by a carpenter called Niels C. Winther, with a letter saying ‘my wife sends her regards, thank you for the pudding rice. She sends your fiancé this sweater and hopes that it is not displeasing to her.’ The package is addressed to a Mr P Ladsen in Copenhagen and its contents are described by the sender as a ‘sweater for sleeping’, though its style closely resembles Faroese national dress. The note is written in Danish.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/pristine-sweater-found-in-parcel-posted-in-1807/

maximus otter

I have a collection of fabric sample books. Mostly silks and velvets and brocades and painted fabric and :curt:
Came across this on Facebook.
It looks familiar. I feel I've seen and even handled one of these, back when I was young enough to have thought the little dresses would fit a doll. :thought:

This rare Irish needlework instruction book from 1833 contains samples of sewing, darning, embroidery, knitting and miniature clothing, and was used at the Female Model school in Kildare Place, Dublin.

It is called 'A Concise Account of the Mode of Instructing in Needle-Work', and was printed by Thomas I. White of Dublin in 1833. The cover is inscribed 'Sarah Darby 1837'. These are normal needlework instruction manuals that the students would paste their work into.

Attachments

• 1833 needlework instruction book.jpeg
    1833 needlework instruction book.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 10
Back