• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

a little tale of poltergeist activity

Scribbles

Ephemeral Spectre
The boards are quiet and I'm bored, so here's a little tale of poltergeist activity that happened a couple of weeks back.

I was asleep in bed and was woken up by something falling on the floor. Expected to hear husband bumbling about coming to bed, but became clear he wasn't in the room. I thought 'poltergeist then' and fell back to sleep.

Woken again by something falling on the floor. This time husband is bumbling about. I think that maybe I'm confused and only one thing fell on the floor, and that was it, and the other thing I heard was the same thing (tired mind!).

Get up in the morning and have to step over one of my earring cases lying on the floor by my side of the bed, some distance from the dressing table it sits on. Thinking, how did husband manage to knock that from there over to there?

Later, ask husband about him coming to bed last night and he tells me he dropped his mobile phone. Ask if he's sure he didn't knock my earring case over as well, and he says, no, he dropped his mobile phone on his side of the bed.

This type of thing ("poltergeist" stuff if you will, although of course I don't really know what happened) is the weird thing that happens to me from time to time but there are RULES! I never get to see the object fly off the shelf or whatever, I just hear a clunk and turn to see something has inexplicably moved from one place to another place on the floor. It's not the first time I've been woken up like this either, which I'm guessing is why I had the cool response of 'poltergeist then' before falling back to sleep!

strange how there seems to be rules or some sort of framework set in place for stuff like this- its the same in my house, if you're in the living room then you'll hear (or once see in a reflection) things in the kitchen, or less often the bedrooms directly above. if you're in the basement room then you'll hear stuff in the kitchen above, (although a couple of times people have had stuff happen whilst they're in the room), and if you're in the bedroom you'll hear stuff downstairs in the kitchen or living room. Also if you're coming downstairs you might see shadows moving round the kitchen but then its all quiet by the time you get downstairs, a matter of seconds usually. maybe they're just shy.

maybe they're just shy
lol!

Your comment Jac21 reminds me of my parents' house, which is a small boxy 1970's end of terrace house. Paper thin walls, you could hear a lot of stuff going on in the neighbour's house, though they were a child-free couple, older than my mum and dad, so not a lot went on beyond the perfunctory.

Anyway, my bedroom must have been next to a bedroom they used as a spare, because I never heard them in there. But what I did hear, lying in bed as a kid/teenager, was incessant chatter that seemed to come from the living room below that spare room. Never heard that chatter when I was downstairs, it was only ever when I was in bed. That was the rule.

It wasn't until I moved away from home and came back to spend the odd Christmas night in that bedroom that it hit me how odd this was - what? our neighbours had guests around EVERY night and talked into the early hours EVERY night? It wasn't a telly, it wasn't the radio, it was chatter and it was really annoying. During the day, quiet as a grave.

Haven't slept in that room for years, but maybe I should find an excuse to do so again and see if it still happens. The man sadly died last year I think, and the lady moved away and sold the house to a landlord who has successfully managed to put two problem families in there so far.

I would also be interested to know if 'the whistling man' who strolled down the road in the darkness every night having a long, loud whistle to himself, is still around. I think he was just a frequent visitor to the pub up the road and nothing ghostly (even though his whistling was a bit spooky)

Anyway, I well remember my first poltergeist type experiences in that house, and I was not so chilled back then!

well anything good to tell?
i never really had this type of thing till i moved in to this house-not so i'd noticed anyway. i know its not something i can put down to neighbour noise, the walls here are about a foot and a half thick stone, the neighbour is an 87 yr old boy who never moves from his chair. (going back even when there were two teenagers living there we never heard a peep.) plus the things experienced in the stable rooms downstairs would bear out that there's something going on.

Sounds very much like there is something going on! My own take on this sort of thing is that it's all part of nature somehow. Even so, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that level of activity, are you OK with it?

Anyway, I don't know if you'll find accounts of my first poltergiesty stuff good, but as you ask... :)

First poltergeist stuff I remember was when I was 11-13 years maybe, a slipper banged onto my fun-drum* next to my bed, waking me up. I remember reaching a nervous hand out from under the duvet to feel if there was anything there and I felt my slipper sitting there. I withdrew my hand and decided best thing was to go back to sleep. Next morning, there was my slipper, sitting on the fun-drum next to my glass of water. The other slipper was on the floor where I'd left it. Come to think of it, I was quite cool on that occasion too.

The one that sh*t me up a little was the time when I was a young teenager and I was home alone, watching Top of the Pops on the TV. LOUD clatter behind the armchair on my left, like conspicuously loud. I stared at that armchair, heart pounding, convinced that someone was hiding behind that chair.

Finally plucked the courage to go over and take a look and when I peeped behind the armchair I saw a long, red, plastic cocktail spoon on the carpet, next to the metal filing box kept there. The long, red plastic cocktail spoon that had sat for years in the tall plastic cocktail shaker on my parent's shelving unit behind the armchair. The tall plastic cocktail shaker was sat at the back of the shelf, as always. I stared at the spoon for what felt like ages, confused at how it had got from that shaker to the floor and still frightened about the sound it had made. I tried to be all logical - to calm my nerves probably - but I couldn't see anything else that could have made any sort of noise.

I remember watching TV afterwards and really hoping my mum & Dad would come back from Savacentre quick!

As a short sidenote to that last one: I know the spoon was in the shaker earlier that evening because it had been there when I got the Zener cards (wikipedia will tell you what they are if you don't know) from the shelf after tea! Spooky!

Years later used the shaker for a quija session at the house with some mates. One girl ended up in tears because she thought her dead uncle (or someone) was coming through, but it seemed like contrived bollocks to me.

* fun-drum: Imagine, if you will, a plastic drum shaped stool, about the height of the kneecaps on a 10 year old, with a lid that came off so that toys could be kept inside. I had to put my glass of water on that at night because there was no room for a bedside table, with the door being right next to my bedstead.

[/url]

i think id have been more shook up by the slipper next to the bed, tho if it woke you up it wouldn't make you jump as such but then you're in bed...i find it harder to just shrug stuff off when im in bed-have to get up find the dressing gown, rouse the dog tiptoe downstairs to make sure its not some sort of more mundane disturbance groping for lightswitches... :shock:
its not a constant level of activity type of thing, a couple of months can go by with nothing then there'll be several things in the space of a few weeks then it'll go quiet again.
doesnt bother me so much, makes me jump obviously but it doesnt send me shrieking out the door. elder daughters sort of used to it too now but we tend to hide it from the younger twins. (until they twig on there's no need to freak them out un-necessarily)
what i dont particularly like is when im reading, whatever, and the dog jumps up from his sleep, backs up to where i am, stares fixedly at a point with all his back up and lets rip with a low not messing about continuous growl. this has happened in the bedroom and the living room.
on none of those occasions have i been able to see anything tho, maybe he's just doing it for a larf. (but i think not :) )

Dogs do seem to see things that we can't. My friend had to have one of her dogs put down a couple of weeks ago and she says since then the surviving dog seems to be reacting to something she can't see.
While I was there he came up for a pat and was rolling around on his back in front of me and all of a sudden he jumped up and raced to the corridor and started baying.
My friend said he does this when she thinks he senses the other dog. She's never seen anything but has heard some barks.

after several weirdly weird occurances in the hill range where i take him walking-all of which caused him to react as you'd expect when a hound is freaked out (i've put them on here in various places), i tend to use him as a strangeness barometer. i figure if it freaks him out then there's definitely something there outside of my imagination, which is quite handy-even if it only means i'm not going completely fruitloop. :D
just not so keen when he starts and i cant see what he's starting at...

After my big dog Rocky died a couple of years back, my other dog would sit staring at Rocky's bed. It was as if he was still in it and she was waiting for a chance to nip in instead, as she'd often done when he was here. Brr.

Back