• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Lost City Near Roper River (Northern Territory, Australia)

wombat103

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
hi all, this is my first post....i saw some info ages ago about a lost city in the roper river area in the nortern territory australia.....info on the net is about zilch...does anyone have any info on this that they can share please

What period was it? Was it a European city, or a large indigenous settlement?

I remember Les Hiddins talking about the discovery of an inland wetlands. The location is unclear, as the explorers seem to have used their sextant improperly, and not adjusted their measurements for their elevation.

Don't know if that's the same thing you're talking about, though.

It's easy to lose things in the Territory, anyway.

it was a city built of stone and inhabited by a race of very tall non indigenous people.....the indigenous people made it a tabuu place,only to visited by those that where allowed (tribal elders?) ....the insinuation is that the builders where space travellers.

D'oh! Left out a key clause in my post above. The wetlands supported an Aboriginal settlement with people scooting around in canoes and stuff.

That makes my post seem less stupid, now.

Haven't heard about the stone city, though. I don't suppose you remember where you heard/read/saw it?

i have a book that i scribble in bits of info that i have gleaned over the years,the only other bit of info i have is that the city was called BURRUNGU

I did a google and found a couple of sites, here is a quote from one of them:

"Australia’s Secret City: Burrungu is the ‘city of taboos’ which the Australian aborigines claim is hidden in the remote hinterlands of northern Australia. Orthodox archaeology informs us that civilisation did not arrive in Australia until the Portuguese landed there in 1601.

Yet, according to the Australian Weekend News, three white men who have visited the ruins of this alleged sity reported ruined walls, stone houses, wide courtyards, and stately arches that look down upon statues set along tree-shaded streets.

Legends of the aborigines tell of white men living in the city many thousands of years ago. "They were so tall they needed very big buildings," the natives claimed. "The city is taboo. It was once a place of much activity."
Here is the original site, if you go about 3/4 the way down you can read the exact same piece of text, except on a different site heh.

http://www.awarenessquest.com/research.htm

You're right though, there isn't much info on this at all on the net!

There are numerous "Lost Cities" in the NT. Last year I visited some of them. The most easily accessed one is in Litchfield National Park. But in no sense are these man-made structures; they are quite obviously the natural results of erosion which has re-shaped horizontally bedded sandstone.

However, the natural erosion has created shapes that look just like windows, arches, statues and streets. It takes very little imagination to see "lost cities" in these rock formations.

I wonder whether "Burrungu" was just a mythologised account of one of these natural features?

Sebastian
specific reff; to Roper river, i agree with you about many lost citys in NT.....i spent a lot of time in the tanami.....mountains sleeping,mountains waking,mountains at play.

Your mock-lost city in Litchfield National Park reminds me of something I read about a "vitrified city" somewhere in Death Valley. There are (or were) supposed to be streets, walls, pillars, and such all made up of fused rock, leading at least one or two people to believe a nuclear war took place there at some time. I'm still not clear why a nuclear-aged society would be living in stone age flintstone's-type housing, but I suppose that's beside the point...

I only know of a couple of odd structures in Australia, and I've never been there personally.

This one looks natural from far away, then man-made masonry close up, but get closer and it's natural: http://www.viewzone.com/rocks.oz.html. I don't have a link to the other one, but there's a small step pyramid near Atherton. Don't know much about that one. There's also supposed to be some "Egyptian" heiroglyphs out there somewhere. I'm thinking they're either in a national park or on some kind of nature preserve.

The whole idea of a giant city in Australia seems entirely too Lovecraftian to me (the Shadow out of Time, I believe it was), especially if one lets aliens into the mix. I'm starting to think that either Lovecraft knew a whole lot about this sort of thing or he influenced people who've turned his stories into self-fulfilling prophesies.

the glyphs are in a national park somewhere in new south wales. supposedly the location was open to visitors for a while, but you cant get there anymore.

there is tonnes of info on it if you google it. just search for "egyptain heiroglypics in australia" or something along those lines.

but last i heard they had photos taken of them, and then the aussie army had destroyed the rocks they were on for some reason or another.

Reading about the vitrified city made me think of the vitrified fort we have in the West Country. On a massive hill, commanding quite a view (and therefore easily defended), the natives (I think ancient Britons) built it from soft rocks interspersed with charcoal and dry fibres then "fired" it. The resultant heat made the stones fuse together and become vitrified.

No sign of West Country nukes though ...

I don't know if the hieroglyphs were destroyed. Saw a documentary (on the National Geographic Channel I think) over Christmas that included a segment on it. (Also the Min Min lights, and numerous other paranormal or fortean events and places.) The guy who discovered them is unwilling to tell anyone where they are, or to allow too much scrutiny.

What I don't get is what Ancient Egyptians were doing on the East Coast of Australia, when they were presumably coming from the other side.

If they weren't coming from the other side, what drove them to keep going after South America, and the South Pacific?

youd be refering to the burrunjor scrub north of the roper river bar in the territory.

any further info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm... It seems to be working for me. Perhaps the site was just down for a while? I've always thought the people running Viewzone were shady characters anyhow. Every time I ever tried emailing them I got one of those mailer demons.

Anome, isn't "Burrunjor" also the name of some kind of aboriginal dinosaur? That's what Karl Shuker claims, at least, though I can't remember what book it's from. In fact, if we're to believe the Creationists then Northern Australia should be teeming with prehistorics.

... I only know of a couple of odd structures in Australia, and I've never been there personally.

This one looks natural from far away, then man-made masonry close up, but get closer and it's natural: http://www.viewzone.com/rocks.oz.html. ...

The link is long dead. Here's the salvaged text, describing a site in Southwest Australia and its similarities to the website's focal anomalous feature(s) in Oklahoma.

(NOTE: No copyright notice appears on the webpage.)

More Evidence from Australia
by Gary Vey​

Following our publication of David Campbell's photographs and story of the strange rock formations that were found in Eastern Oklahoma, we received hundreds of e-mails from curious historians, geologists and hikers. The results of their assessments were varied, from strong beliefs that this was man made -- perhaps an ancient wall that had been subjected to mineralization or erosion -- to a natural formation caused by the leaching of minerals from a sandstone composition.
A fragment of the "wall" was sent to the University of Massachusetts' Department of Natural Sciences for evaluation. The University sliced a portion of the rock and carefully analyzed the composition of each layer. They also subjected the rock to x-ray analysis and tested it for radiation. The results showed no anomalies that would be inconsistent with a natural formation of quartz and iron oxide. There was no radiation and no apparent signs of being carved or fabricated in any way.

ViewZone received a number of requests to visit locations which contained similar structures all over the globe. We decided to visit the Southern state of Southwest Australia, in the Flinders Range area. We were informed that a similar "wall" could be found with similar banded structures.

The top photograph shows the long straight formation that appeared, at a distance, to be a very old wall composed of massive stones. Many of the stones appeared to be rectangular with very tight masonry. The structure was located in a large flat plane, surrounded by the rugged mountains of the uniquely beautiful range that runs North to South in the remote outback. The climate is dry and rocky, much like the site in Oklahoma.

rocks.oz3.jpg

A close up view of the cracks in this linear structure reveal what appears to be masonry joints with beveled edges. The cracks appear to be man made and the "wall" is dissected into somewhat regular, rectangular blocks. Unlike the site in Oklahoma, this stone was much older and easily crumbled when struck with a hammer. There was evidence that the wall had been taller but had deteriorated from erosion. The stone was also more red in color, indicating the exterior was oxidized iron. But what about the interior composition?

rocks.oz2.jpg

We climbed on the wall to view the interior of the blocks. It was obvious that this was the same type of structure that we had seen in photographs from Oklahoma but the rings were less obvious. In many instances they were so eroded that it was not possible to secure a good artifact to document. However, we did find many examples of smaller objects that showed the strange ring structure. One of these is pictured below.

rocks.oz1.jpg

The analysis of these structures seems to be very similar. The dark and dense rings are composed largely of iron, which is partially oxidized. The interior, when it has not been eroded, is largely granules of quartz. It is believed that the original structure was formed eons ago by the pressure and action of ancient seas. The drying of the sandstone causes it to crack into regular, somewhat rectangular fragments. Exposed to the elements, rain and moisture leak into these cracks and into each fragment. Over time, the water escapes through the walls of the fragments, taking with it the iron and leaving the quartz. Because this occurs in many periods of wet and dry cycles, the denser iron is deposited on the exterior or the fragments and in internal layers, thus giving the appearance of multiple shells, or cells.

Although this does not absolutely settle the mystery of the Oklahoma phenomenon, it does make the possibility of a natural cause more likely. As always, we welcome any additional comments or observations.

ViewZone wishes to thank John McGovern for his assistance in locating and documenting this phenomenon in Australia.

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20040402075417/http://www.viewzone.com/rocks.oz.html

index.php

Wow. I'm surprised that Viewzone site is still in business. Be sure and put on yer tinfoil hat if you decide to visit.

Back