• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Million Messages

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
One for the Mods I suppose...

By using the amount of posts made in one week, is it possible to estimate when we might reach 1,000,000?

Currently at 994,848. How long does it take the board to amass 5152 messages?

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 07.57.55.png

edit:too many 'posts'

We're averaging 300-ish posts per day.

So... maths...

I guess the problem is that unless someone is actually watching we won’t know who the millionth post generator is unless we dissect the posting times around the appropriate time?

Only 5000 to go before these boards have their 1000000th posting. I'm hoping its like the Beano or old tv shows where when the magic customer walks in to the supermarket there's an explosion of confetti, a marching band and an oversized cheque. Can admin please arrange it.

1560420351018.png

Only 5000 to go before these boards have their 1000000th posting. I'm hoping its like the Beano or old tv shows where when the magic customer walks in to the supermarket there's an explosion of confetti, a marching band and an oversized cheque. Can admin please arrange it.

View attachment 18045
Nice to see Cyndi Lauper is our latest member.

Weird thing happened, I seem to have lost my popcorn, ive been back to the car, it is not in there, and i definately put it in my bag at Asda, so where the hell as it gone???????/

We're averaging 300-ish posts per day.

So... maths...

Around 17 days :)

Unless we get an influx of spammers offering to flog us top-kwality Sildenafil and Hydrocodone for our genuine medical needs.

I don't have any, but I can lay my hands on some good Bovril and extra-strong Fisherman's Friends?

When a message is deleted does it still count in the total or is it removed from that? I.e. is the number the number of messages that have ever been posted or is it the number of messages extant?

One for the Mods I suppose. ...
By using the amount of posts made in one week, is it possible to estimate when we might reach 1,000,000? ...

I guess the problem is that unless someone is actually watching we won’t know who the millionth post generator is unless we dissect the posting times around the appropriate time?

Only 5000 to go before these boards have their 1000000th posting. ...

Since you invoked the Mods, here's the technically defensible answer ...

The one-millionth post to be registered / recorded on this FTMB / Forteana Forums board ...

will be posted was posted ...

... by OneWinged Bird on July 8, 2010 in the Tarot Experiment thread within the Esoterica section:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/tarot-experiment.42127/post-1000000
(Note the post number at the end of the URL)

NOTE: This number may be the result of who-knows-what duplications, software weirdness, indexing gaps / jumps, deliberately deleted crap, software / migration carnage, etc. Nonetheless, it's in the one-millionth position on the sequentially-accreted listing of known / surviving posts.

When a message is deleted does it still count in the total or is it removed from that? I.e. is the number the number of messages that have ever been posted or is it the number of messages extant?

Good point - I'm glad someone's actually starting to think about it ...

Ok, apparently the number count does not update in real time and I don’t know how frequently it does update. Also once I’ve deleted a message, I deleted two, other people have normally posted and because I don’t know how this interacts with delay it’s difficult to give an answer. There are times when the board is very quiet and not many are logged on. I will continue my experimentation then...

Ok, apparently the number count does not update in real time and I don’t know how frequently it does update. ...

The assigned index number for a given post accrues in real time - when the post is entered onto the forum. The most recent / highest of these index numbers represents the number of all posts recorded as ever having been entered onto the forum.

The general / overall post count shown on the home / entry page does not represent this same number / amount.

You look shifty
It's dead? :O

I asked the faeries to bring it back, they can eat it so long as they bring the tub back so i can see i aint going barmy, i just sent the cat out to look for it.

Have you checked under the pool table at the Troll's Head? It might be next to the litter box that Swifty mistook for a snack container.

The assigned index number for a given post accrues in real time - when the post is entered onto the forum. The most recent / highest of these index numbers represents the number of all posts recorded as ever having been entered onto the forum.

The general / overall post count shown on the home / entry page does not represent this same number / amount.
Sorry, yes it was the home page number I was referring to.

Back