• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Mysterious Smell Of Perfume

dinski

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Nothing paranormal has ever happened to me, even though I do believe in these things. However, the last few days I keep smelling perfume, sometimes really strongly within our flat. My fiance cannot smell it and he's worried about me as he thinks I have a brain tumour (apparently smelling weird aromas is a symptom) :? . Anyway, I don't wear perfume and we live in a block of flats with big doors, so it hasn't been wafting in from other flats. Sometimes the smell seems to appear suddenly in the room I am in. I don't know if this is relevant in a paranormal way, but hoping someone on this board could tell me if there is any significance of a paranormal slant associated with smelling perfume in odd places. Thank you.

There are lots of stories about people experiencing smells which they associate with someone who has died.

I have personally been told about mysterious smells of flowery perfumes, various tobacco smokes, aftershave, soap, toast and other foods and even of drinks like fresh coffee and beer. That's the paranormal angle. ;)

This is usually a pleasant experience for the person, and your perfume sounds nice, so perhaps you should just enjoy it!

However, it is true that an unusual smell which persists, for only one person, can be a sign of abnormality. Often it is a less pleasant aroma though - the classic one is of burning, which is sometimes associated with strokes.

I'd consider seeing the doctor, just to put your mind at rest. :)

Do you have a better sense of smell than your boyfriend? I once lived in a block of flats where there was something wrong with the ventilation and the smell of other people's bathrooms used to come into ours. Some of that was quite perfumey (soap, shower gel etc.). My boyfriend at the time could hardly ever smell it.

My dad had a related experience almost a year after my mother died. He was driving along in the car when the familiar smell of my mother's perfume filled the car and stayed there for just under a minute. It was as if she was right there in the passenger seat. To say he was astonished would be underestimating it. Strangely, it wasn't just the smell, but it was also very reassuring to him.

Now, before you sceptics launch in, this was a brand new car which he had bought a few months after her death. All her clothes had been given to charity or passed down to other members of the family and none were in the car at the time. All my dad's clothes had certainly been through the wash at least three or four times since her death a year ago. This was winter time, so there was little chance of the smell of a field or flowers in bloom outside and he was passing no shops at the time.

I posted another little story here about my small son seeing my mother shortly after her death, so I'm more than convinced that we live on after the event. Even if you don't think we do, I find these stories very comforting.

escargot1 said:
There are lots of stories about people experiencing smells which they associate with someone who has died.

I have personally been told about mysterious smells of flowery perfumes, various tobacco smokes, aftershave, soap, toast and other foods and even of drinks like fresh coffee and beer. That's the paranormal angle.

The owners of the Nancy Blackett (A yacht that once belonged to Arthur Ransome) say they occasionally smell pipe smoke on board. None of them smoke a pipe - but Arthur Ransome did.

I very often smell lavender, a smell which I associate with my Grandmother who died when I was 9.

It's a strong whiff but only lasts a second or so.

Whether it's my limbic/olfactory system throwing a wobbly or not I have no idea.

But it's kind of comforting, in a eery sort of way.

Mr_Eamcat2 said:
I very often smell lavender, a smell which I associate with my Grandmother who died when I was 9.

It's a strong whiff but only lasts a second or so.

Whether it's my limbic/olfactory system throwing a wobbly or not I have no idea.

But it's kind of comforting, in a eery sort of way.
I have smelled lavender too at certain timeslike a family wedding or birth of a child, and think it's my Father's mother who died before I was born. At the same time I see her name in the juice that has
dripped or dust that has blown so I'm pretty sure it's her.

Just thought I 'd point out that in some scientific circles it is believed that smell, more than any other sense, can trigger off memories and these memories stay with us the longest.

For instance when I went on holiday to Greece with my parents last, well over 15 years ago, there was a type of perfume my mother wore on that holiday that she had never worn before or since. To this day if I smell that perfume anywhere I am immediately, in my mind, transported back to Greece and memories of that holiday come flooding back.

I remember this happening quite often in my parent's house.

Neither of my parents smoked or allowed anyone to smoke in the house yet in one of the rooms quite often a very stong smell of tobacco could be smelt. It was the smell of pipe smoke and very noticable.
The dining room had it's own odour too, it was a very cloying and sweet perfume smell that would occasionally drift into the room.

The other strange thing that would happen was the apperance of long strands of black hair. This was always a mystery as nobody in the house had long or even black hair.

------Zoltan

All this reminds me of the "odour of violets" which saints in the Roman Catholic Church are said to emit. I once had an elderly maths tutor who always smelled of violets. A good man, I guess he might have been a saint.

Funny that this should come up on the FTMB because I've noticed a strong smell of patchouli oil in my house recently. Last night my gf came home from work and commented on it as soon as she walked through the front door. She does not wear or use patchouli oil, and I don't particularly like the smell of it, so quite where it has come from is something of a mystery.

I wonder if it's possible for scent to foretell an incident as well.

I was in my kitchen earlier today, and I smelled a very strong smell of roses (my family is sensitive to perfumey scents, so I don't use them on me or in the house.) I started to look around to see what it was that was putting off the scent, and could find nothing.

Two hours later, the florist arrived -- my grandmother, who usually sends a Christmas-time arrangement of evergreens and carnations in a holiday container, instead sent me roses.

Weird, huh?

That's a very interesting idea. Quite a few people both me and my girlfriend know do wear patchouli oil, so it'd be interesting to see if I hear from them or see them in the next few days.

Mysterious Cigar Smoke

Years ago, I purchased a house from the heir of parents who apparently had a fairly disagreeable relationship. The house had fallen into disrepair and hadn't been redecorated for at least 40 years.

We virtually redid, replaced, painted and recovered every surface, but the smell of cigar smoke would sometimes appear in the back hall.

I asked the heir if anyone had smoke cigars in the house, and she told me that her father had enjoyed a cigar. Her mother wouldn't permit him to smoke in the house, but sometimes he rebelled and smoked in the back hall.

From then on, when I smelled cigar smoke I always said, "Go ahead, enjoy your cigar."

When I left home to go to university, I often used to smell my dad's aftershave in the corridors of the halls. (He'd died four years before).It was a very old-fashioned aftershave that none of the students wore. It was very comforting, really, made me feel I was being watched over. As I got older, I smelt it less and less, until I hardly ever smell it all now.

Someone close to me who died recently was famous for burning toast - it was a family joke. :lol:

I often smell burning toast now, at the front of the house where no kitchen fumes could be intruding from the neighbours' and when nobody here is cooking.

Smelt it tonight, and although I wasn't alone, only I caught it. I know what it means. 8)

We've lived in this house for just over 3 years now, and I sometimes smell cigar smoke (or very strong cigarette smoke), and occasionally the distinct whiff of unwashed body. I'd like to take this oppportunity to point out that neither of us smoke and we both take frequent shower-ers. :)

The smells only last for a minute or so, and most often 'appear' on the upper floor. They seemed to start (or I started noticing them) after I looked up the occupants of the house on the 1901 census (when it was newly built). I'd been looking into the history of our bog-standard london terrace because we'd just finished a 2-and-three-quarter year DIY saga, making a very tired and neglected house into our home. I like to think I'm good at detecting 'atmospheres', and when we moved in the house had the atmosphere of a disused church hall. It just feels much happier now... "loved" almost. It would be nice to think that smells are from the original occupants... maybe they've come back to see what we've done to their home? Incidentally, my mate stayed with us a while back and was convinced he heard footsteps on our stairs when he was home alone :shock:

It sounds like you have a tramp living in your attic or crawlspace.

haha... we've just had a new roof put on, but the builders never mentioned a down-and-out behind the gravity tank ;)

Back