• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A New Pleasure (Wingsuits)

Ha! The small picky made me think of moth man! Oh the mischief you could reak...

What a cool suit. :mrgreen:

Pretend your superman in it. :yeay:

Id prefer something slower and more manouverable.

That and with soaring capabilities.

Can you soar downwards? I thought you could only soar upwards.

gncxx said:
Can you soar downwards?

That's a plummet isn't it?

Is this the same chap who glided across the channel in one of these winged suits a year or so back? Very impressive, they should've had him as stuntman for the new Superman movie.

Flying across active volcano Villerica in Chile

Last month, the former Chilean Air Force pilot completed what he describes as "by far the most extreme" flight of of his career: flying in and out of the crater of an active volcano.

Given his thrill-seeking nature, he naturally ended up deciding that Villarrica -- one of Chile's most active and dangerous volcanoes and aptly named "the Devil's House" by the Mapuche -- would be incorporated into his jump.

Leaping from a helicopter at more than 3,500 meters (almost 2.2 miles) in altitude, Álvarez would attempt to use the wingsuit to reach speeds of more than 280 km/h (about 176.5 mph) and then fly into and out of the 200-meter (656 feet) wide crater of the volcano.

"This is by far the most extreme project I've ever done," he says. "That's for sure. Especially because of all of the factors; it was an active volcano, it was at high altitude, cold, windy and so there were a lot of things that I needed to take care of.

Preparation for the jump took more than a year. Not only did Álvarez complete around 500 practice jumps, but he also had to make complex calculations using speed, distance and air pressure to decide whether or not it would even be possible.
Video at link.

1640704679530.png

Back