• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A New Twilight Zone?

gattino

Justified & Ancient
I'll be going off in a couple of random directions at once with this post. Consider it the equivalent of mumbling on a park bench.

Love the original Twilight Zone. Aware they rebooted it twice over the years and are possibly doing so again soon. The reboots have never worked in terms of staying in the public imagination. To me its simply because they're in colour. There's something about the B&W stageiness of the original series that creates its sense of detachment and eeriness.

Any old how I was browsing clips of and about the series on youtube and it would occassionally pop up with an entirely different, forgotten, show from the same period called One Step Beyond. Not only from the same period but looking like a clear rip off..down to the front of camera narrator ala Rod Serling (in fact this show preceded Twilight Zone by several months i've just read). Anyway this sentence on IMDB..."this series fed the nation's growing interest in paranormal suspense in a different way. Rather than creating fictional stories with supernatural twists and turns, this program sought out "real" stories of the supernatural, including ghosts, disappearances, monsters, et cetera, and re-creating them for each episode. No solutions to these mysteries were ever found, and viewers could only scratch their heads and wonder, "what if it's real?" "

Two thoughts on that.. "the nation's growing interest in paranormal suspense". There were indeed a lot of shows of the type.. the Outer Limits being the other biggie... but are there any today? Off the top off my head the only dramatisation of the paranormal on tv involves either glossy American series about beautiful wise cracking demon fighters or talking head documentaries where the real people are interspersed with brief re-enactments. So is there any TZ like anthology show I'm missing out on?

Secondly the idea of creating a modern TZ using "real" experiences sounds a good one to me. Reddit and these boards are an endless source of free plot material for a skilled TV dramatist. He or she can be spared the need to invent uncanny experiences from whole cloth. Is someone missing a trick here? Get Hollywood on the line....

I'll be going off in a couple of random directions at once with this post. Consider it the equivalent of mumbling on a park bench.

Love the original Twilight Zone. Aware they rebooted it twice over the years and are possibly doing so again soon. The reboots have never worked in terms of staying in the public imagination. To me its simply because they're in colour. There's something about the B&W stageiness of the original series that creates its sense of detachment and eeriness.

Any old how I was browsing clips of and about the series on youtube and it would occassionally pop up with an entirely different, forgotten, show from the same period called One Step Beyond. Not only from the same period but looking like a clear rip off..down to the front of camera narrator ala Rod Serling (in fact this show preceded Twilight Zone by several months i've just read). Anyway this sentence on IMDB..."this series fed the nation's growing interest in paranormal suspense in a different way. Rather than creating fictional stories with supernatural twists and turns, this program sought out "real" stories of the supernatural, including ghosts, disappearances, monsters, et cetera, and re-creating them for each episode. No solutions to these mysteries were ever found, and viewers could only scratch their heads and wonder, "what if it's real?" "

Two thoughts on that.. "the nation's growing interest in paranormal suspense". There were indeed a lot of shows of the type.. the Outer Limits being the other biggie... but are there any today? Off the top off my head the only dramatisation of the paranormal on tv involves either glossy American series about beautiful wise cracking demon fighters or talking head documentaries where the real people are interspersed with brief re-enactments. So is there any TZ like anthology show I'm missing out on?

Secondly the idea of creating a modern TZ using "real" experiences sounds a good one to me. Reddit and these boards are an endless source of free plot material for a skilled TV dramatist. He or she can be spared the need to invent uncanny experiences from whole cloth. Is someone missing a trick here? Get Hollywood on the line....

I clicked 'like' here after barely reading any of it.

Yup, there are phenomena on'ere that have never been described elsewhere, such as, well, I can think of a couple that I personally discussed first from personal experience!

Sure, why not...I suppose. As long as they don't try to remake classic episodes. That would be distressing.

I'm not aware of any current shows of the type. The 1980's Outer Limits (in colour, yuck) was fairly well recieved IIRC... I can only remember the one that was like a preliminary sketch of The Matrix.

The new TZ will feature a remake of Nightmare at 20,000 Feet starring Adam Scott. Mind you, they already remade it for the ill-fated TZ movie in the 80s, and that bit was pretty decent.

Ah, you're right - so they did - not that I've seen it. So I'll stick with Shatner's shtick if it's all the same to them!

I've watched the second and third episode of the new series. I think they're very good (the opening title sequence is stylish) engaging and suitably unnerving. The racist cop in the third episode looks incredibly creepy.

I've watched the second and third episode of the new series. I think they're very good (the opening title sequence is stylish) engaging and suitably unnerving. The racist cop in the third episode looks incredibly creepy.

Where've you seen them? Are they on Netflix?

An interesting article about Rod Serling and The Twilight Zone.

If, like me, you’re a baby boomer who pleaded as a child to stay up with the big kids to watch The Twilight Zone, you might remember daring yourself to make it all the way through without taking cover behind an older sibling or the family dog.

The show ran from 1959 to 1964, and by the time it went off the air the phrase “twilight zone” had entered the language as a kind of shorthand for whatever feels eerie or strange. More particularly, the words attached themselves to the feeling of being in a place that’s simultaneously familiar and alien, a “neutral territory,” as Nathaniel Hawthorne described it, “somewhere between the real world and fairy-land, where the Actual and the Imaginary may meet, and each imbue itself with the nature of the other.”

The man who gave this old sensation a new name was Rodman Edward Serling, known as Rod. Many in my generation listened attentively to the prologues and epilogues he delivered each week in a sonorous voice that seemed to say: enough with suburban idylls like Ozzie and Harriet, Leave It to Beaver, and Father Knows Best; forget the crooners and hoofers served up by Ed Sullivan or Lawrence Welk. If you want the dark truth about American life—about life itself—come with me to the Zone. ...

A high school student when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, young Serling wrote “US Army Air Corps” under “future plans” in the school yearbook and talked about dropping out to fight the Nazis. Deferring to his parents’ wishes, he waited until graduation to enlist and was deployed not to Europe but to the Pacific, where he fought as a paratrooper in the Philippines.

Close to starvation as rations ran out during the Battle of Leyte, he stood near his friend Melvin Levy as Levy sang joyously at the sight of US supply planes approaching over the mountains, until a crate fell out of the sky and crushed him to death in mid-song.

It was Serling who placed a Star of David on the grave. Having seen how slender the line between life and death can be, he came home not only with a shrapnel wound and a Purple Heart but with earned knowledge that chance exerts dominion over even the most prudent life—themes that would recur in many episodes of The Twilight Zone. ...

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2020/11/19/twilight-zone-night-terrors/

Episode 6, Season 2 : 8. Undersea Antarctic research station trap a large octopus but it turns out to be intelligent. Shades of Alien here as the scientists intended to use the octopus for gene weapon research. Great shark and octopus attacks! Also kind of like The Thing with the crew being picked off.

Episode 6, Season 2 : 8. Undersea Antarctic research station trap a large octopus but it turns out to be intelligent. Shades of Alien here as the scientists intended to use the octopus for gene weapon research. Great shark and octopus attacks! Also kind of like The Thing with the crew being picked off.

Sounds like my cup of tea. Does Jordan Peele still appear in person? I'd like him to narrate on camera in a deep sea diving suit.

Sounds like my cup of tea. Does Jordan Peele still appear in person? I'd like him to narrate on camera in a deep sea diving suit.

He makes a personal appearance in each episode, sadly he doesn't don a diving suit on this occasion.

Back