• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Plague Of Unicorns

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
The other day I went shopping in The Range and there were an astounding number pf products with unicorns on them.

Why are unicorns so popular these days? I find them sinister

I think it's part of the disneyfication of "monsters". :(

Everything develops sparkles and sugar, cf Twighlight vampires. Which means they don't fill their original niche.

I'm interested in the way this goes. Do we develop new things of awe and wonder, things that aren't comfortable and predictable, or do we lose a whole swathe of imaginative landscape?

I think it's part of the disneyfication of "monsters". :(

Everything develops sparkles and sugar, cf Twighlight vampires. Which means they don't fill their original niche.

I'm interested in the way this goes. Do we develop new things of awe and wonder, things that aren't comfortable and predictable, or do we lose a whole swathe of imaginative landscape?
Coincidentally, my wife and I were discussing this yesterday. We watched "Room on the Broom" and I commented on how likeable and endearing witches have become in stories these days. Similarly with ogres (Shrek) and the various teen fantasies with werewolves and vampires.

However, in my lifetime, the friendly but slightly boring and corny clown has become a sinister figure of evil and terror. Also, there is a tendency in "serious drama" for people who should be "the good guys" (e.g. FBI, MI5, the police, and armed forces) to become "the bad guys".

Back