• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A spectral tea break in a haunted hospital

llkit

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Back in 1997 I was a 21 year old college student studying Art and Design at a well known college in the North of England.

As part of our studies, our year had to organize an exhibition, to demonstrate we had the practical skills and knowledge to do so in the real world. Eventually we managed to persuade the management of the local hospital, part of which was being converted into flats, to let us hold it in a part of the grounds used as an older persons day centre, which was scheduled for demolition, despite being less than 15 years old.

The building itself was a bright, light and airy design, square in shape, with four corridors, perhaps 15 metres long, connecting large rooms in each corner, 12 metres square, with a garden and pond in the middle. There were numerous rooms leading off each of the corridors, with a main entrance/exit facing the car park, which itself was surrounded by the older hospital, which was empty, work not having started on converting it to individual flats at this point.

Our exhibition took shape gradually and I spent a lot of time preparing the building to a professional standard of presentation. A number of strange events took place during the construction, which I will relay later.

During the removal of all the exhibits I was alone there one Sunday morning. I was quite sober and was unlike many others at the time, not into taking any sort of illicit drugs.

I was working on removing my own piece and was using a hammer to take apart a wooden frame. I was the only person in the building and the entrance door was locked from the inside. I was the only key holder. The windows were all secure- there was a checklist to complete prior to leaving.

All of a sudden, from my mid corridor room I heard the unmistakeable sound of a tea trolley being pushed along the lino of the corridor at a 90 degree angle to me, to my left. The end of the corridor, which had an unobstructed view along it's length was perhaps 5-6 metres from where I was stood.

I could hear cups rattling and the hushed voices of two women. I couldn't make out what was being said, but the noise was drawing closer , so I rushed to the large corner room, eager to see my first apparition.

As I ran through the corner room I saw, perhaps to my ultimate relief there were no ghostly nurses coming toward me. The noise had lasted 6-10 seconds, from the time I first heard it between hammering and to rushing to the top corridor.

Instinctively I ran to the window to see if anyone was passing outside with a trolley of any sort. There was no one to be seen- especially as this part of the hospital was out of use and over the weeks we had been there, no medical staff had been seen in the vicinity!

I then ran along the corridor, toward where the noise had been heard, into the far corner room. I looked toward the entrance and car park. Not a soul was to be seen. I then ran to the main entrance room and looked out round the other side of the building- again, no one was about. I half expected to see two nurses pushing a trolley along and it un nerved me when I saw none.

I think at this point, the shock wore off and I became rather rattled and left. I hadn't seen anyone or anything, nor did the temperature seem to change, although the building was always cold, despite it being mid year.

This isn't something I've made up- I later (bizarrely) went on to work in law enforcement, so I'm not prone to exaggeration and am always used to dealing with facts and interpreting evidence.

I only had one other experience in the building, whereby in similar circumstances I was alone and on visitor duty and I noticed that as I walked around a circuit of the building, perhaps a minute and a half, the doors to some of the individual toilets- one of which was very stiff- and all of them were on risers- would be open and closed and the lights would be switched on or off. Again there were no visitors in the building and no one else to play tricks- nor was there a breeze to shut/open a door or pull the cord to turn the light on or off.

I haven't speculated as to what these incidences might have been, but I tried to find a logical explanation for them at the time- I couldn't then and I still can't now, some 15 years on. A very down to earth Yorkshire lad, a good friend of mine had some even more disturbing experiences- if people are interested, then I'll relay these at a later date.

Andy Bailey

West Yorkshire

Very interesting stuff. As for the doors and the lights there are probably several explanations for that but without anyone seeing them, or talking to the former staff I doubt any will ever be found.

The tea trolley though is fascinating. Explanation wise I suppose it's down to what you accept and what you reject. Whether you insist that there must be a mundane explanation or if you're willing to entertain something more bizarre. Personally, and relying on your statements that the building was definitely empty, I'd say the latter sounds more probable.

That said though, as I know from my own experience it is easy to let yourself be tricked.

Anyway very interesting post.

What a lovely story - I believe you! I am convinced I heard two women talking softly in my kitchen (old house). I don't normally 'hear voices' wink!

As a child patient of the 50's, stuck in bleak hospitals, the sound of the tea trolley was the highlight of the long dreary days. Every single patient bucked up and pulled themselves up the bed when they heard the rattle of the teacups - usually blue or green ones. "Would you like a biscuit with that?" God, we were starving!

Perhaps the daily little ripple of pleasure impregnated itself into the walls. How intriguing.

What an intriguing tale! Many thanks for sharing it.

I want to hear the 'Yorkshire lad's more disturbing adventures'!
As for the sound of two women and a trolley; I often think a ghost is not what it is, but what was seen - we aren't seeing a ghost, we are seeing something someone once saw/heard. We are tuning into the viewer not the apparition. It would explain clothes on ghosts, anyway.

You've reminded me of something that happened to me when I was about 5. My room was right by the stairs and had sort of an alcove where there was a gap between the where the stairs cut into the room and the outside wall. I was wide awake and couldn't get to sleep, so I was just wriggling about. All of a sudden I could hear what sounded like a small child singing coming from that space, now I couldn't make out words but it sort of sounded like she was repeating a nursery rhyme. Terrified the hell out of me and I hid under the covers.

And in turn, Redfern, you've reminded me of something that happened to me as a child!

I was somewhere between the ages of 5 and 7, lying awake at night as in your story, and I heard tinkling bells and a faint child's voice singing. It sounded like it was coming from my dressing table mirror. This happened on several different nights and I don't recall being frightened by it, just confused. I do however remember feeling too apprehensive to get up and search for the source of the noise.

I suspect in my case it may have been something hypnagogic, as I do have a lot of sleep-related weirdness as an adult, but well... who knows! I can say it did not sound like any toy I had ever owned, or anything like that.

Nogoodnik, I remember vividly pulling the covers over my head and hoping it would go away! A few weeks later I had another odd experience, it sounded like someone was twanging a metal ruler every 30 seconds or so. It went on for quite some time. It scared me so much that I tried to get in bed with my parents, but they wouldn't let me. :(

Back