• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Strange Death From China

王泥喜法介

Devoted Cultist
Dear all, I am so glad to be here. Frankly speaking, I am a Chinese policeman who has worked only 2 years. However, I have met several strange cases. Therefore, I wish to discuss them with you. Perhaps some know that such cases are rather sensitive in China.

If anybody here wants to hear my stories, I will post them here.

In addition, I have employed VPN to unblock the internet, so please do not examine my identity by my IP. That appears tricky.

Dear all, I am so glad to be here. Frankly speaking, I am a Chinese policeman who has worked only 2 years. However, I have met several strange cases. Therefore, I wish to discuss them with you. Perhaps some know that such cases are rather sensitive in China.

If anybody here wants to hear my stories, I will post them here.

In addition, I have employed VPN to unblock the internet, so please do not examine my identity by my IP. That appears tricky.

Happy to hear your stories--discussion of such things is what we do here.

The thread title mentions 'a strange death'--that might be a good place to start.

Edit: I am a moderator and I have deleted your duplicate post.

Ok, perhaps my English is not good enough, but I attempt to describe this story.

Last year, around the mid-term of July, I was working at a police station around a juncture of a highway, which located in a central city. I am so sorry that I cannot show more details concerning this.

One night around 10 pm, a young lady about 30 years old came to this police station to ask for help. She looked rather nervous and repeated some words again and again. I was a freshman that time, according to our tradition, it was my job to deal with this case. So, I asked that lady "what happened? Could you tell me?"

The lady calmed down gradually and then told me that her husband was missing, and then she told me what happened exactly.

In her words, her husband worked for a small company and every day he would call her when he left his office, usually at 6:30 pm. However, there was not any message or call from his husband since 6:30 pm. The lady attempted to contact her husband also while her husband did not answer her call.

Even though I attempted to mitigate her worries and told her this was not unusual according to our experience. As an adult, perhaps her husband had to deal with something emergent or his cellphone died.

Ok, perhaps my English is not good enough, but I attempt to describe this story.

Last year, around the mid-term of July, I was working at a police station around a juncture of a highway, which located in a central city. I am so sorry that I cannot show more details concerning this.

One night around 10 pm, a young lady about 30 years old came to this police station to ask for help. She looked rather nervous and repeated some words again and again. I was a freshman that time, according to our tradition, it was my job to deal with this case. So, I asked that lady "what happened? Could you tell me?"

The lady calmed down gradually and then told me that her husband was missing, and then she told me what happened exactly.

In her words, her husband worked for a small company and every day he would call her when he left his office, usually at 6:30 pm. However, there was not any message or call from his husband since 6:30 pm. The lady attempted to contact her husband also while her husband did not answer her call.

Even though I attempted to mitigate her worries and told her this was not unusual according to our experience. As an adult, perhaps her husband had to deal with something emergent or his cellphone died.

Your English seems good enough to me--good enough for us to follow certainly--but that can't be the end of the story.

However, that lady did not accept my comment. In her words, in the past three years after their marriage, her husband never forgot to call her around 6:30 unless they were together. So, this lady insisted that there was probably something happened and she wished us to help her.

Therefore, as a policeman, I could not refuse this. After a brief note about this lady, I asked for help from my colleagues because I was a green hand that time. My colleagues also called the lady's husband while there was no answer. In addition, the lady told us she has called her husband's co-workers. The co-workers said they have witnessed her husband had left the office and drove his car around 6:30. However, they did not know where he was afterwards.

At this moment, a colleague provided a solution. From the lady's apartment and the company her husband worked for, there was a check-point in the midway and every vehicle had to stop and pay for it. So, it means that we can examine the surveillance there at first. If we found that car, we could follow the cameras along this way.

It was not difficult to get the video information, and we intensively examined the period around 6:40 to 7:00 because that car was highly possible to pass there that time. Fortunately, we found that car quickly. Seen from that video, that car had passed the checkpoint at first. However, this car drove a route to the outskirt of the city, rather than the way home.

However, that lady did not accept my comment. In her words, in the past three years after their marriage, her husband never forgot to call her around 6:30 unless they were together. So, this lady insisted that there was probably something happened and she wished us to help her.

Therefore, as a policeman, I could not refuse this. After a brief note about this lady, I asked for help from my colleagues because I was a green hand that time. My colleagues also called the lady's husband while there was no answer. In addition, the lady told us she has called her husband's co-workers. The co-workers said they have witnessed her husband had left the office and drove his car around 6:30. However, they did not know where he was afterwards.

At this moment, a colleague provided a solution. From the lady's apartment and the company her husband worked for, there was a check-point in the midway and every vehicle had to stop and pay for it. So, it means that we can examine the surveillance there at first. If we found that car, we could follow the cameras along this way.

It was not difficult to get the video information, and we intensively examined the period around 6:40 to 7:00 because that car was highly possible to pass there that time. Fortunately, we found that car quickly. Seen from that video, that car had passed the checkpoint at first. However, this car drove a route to the outskirt of the city, rather than the way home.

Well, I'm certainly curious. Unless the story is monstrously long, however, you can probably put the remainder in one long post; we have a very high word-limit here.

Your username seems to be either the name of a Japanese Manga character or something idiomatic that I can't understand--would you like to translate it for us?

What we needed to do is to trace the cameras all the way. Perhaps few people know, in China, the cameras are so well equipped along with the high way. This means we could trace that car all the way. After a few minutes, that car stopped on the road suddenly, not on the sidewalk. That was quite strange. At that time, I have to say I feel something strange, perhaps all the others in front of the screen had the same feeling.

What happened next is very strange and horrible. Firstly, the lady's husband jumped out from his car and dashed to the isolated belt along the sidewalk. In China, it is very common that trees are employed to build an isolated belt between different lanes, and this isolated belt is usually more than one metre in width.

Then, sitting down in front of a tree, the lady's husband kindled a few candles and started to dance. Even though I never reexamined that video, I had to say that dance seems rather strange. After a few minutes, the lady's husband dashed to the lane quickly and crashed by a car in a high speed. From the video, it seems that the lady's husband dashed to that car willfully. Even though some cars stopped and call the ambulance, the lady's husband lost the mind already and passed away immediately.

I do not want to describe what happened next at our police station. But the reason resulting in that death is still unclear, although the police in that region had investigated.

Well, I'm certainly curious. Unless the story is monstrously long, however, you can probably put the remainder in one long post; we have a very high word-limit here.

Your username seems to be either the name of a Japanese Manga name or something idiomatic that I can't understand--would you like to translate it for us?
The username is a lawyer in a Japanese game named Ace Attorney. That name means "surprise"

What we needed to do is to trace the cameras all the way. Perhaps few people know, in China, the cameras are so well equipped along with the high way. This means we could trace that car all the way. After a few minutes, that car stopped on the road suddenly, not on the sidewalk. That was quite strange. At that time, I have to say I feel something strange, perhaps all the others in front of the screen had the same feeling.

What happened next is very strange and horrible. Firstly, the lady's husband jumped out from his car and dashed to the isolated belt along the sidewalk. In China, it is very common that trees are employed to build an isolated belt between different lanes, and this isolated belt is usually more than one metre in width.

Then, sitting down in front of a tree, the lady's husband kindled a few candles and started to dance. Even though I never reexamined that video, I had to say that dance seems rather strange. After a few minutes, the lady's husband dashed to the lane quickly and crashed by a car in a high speed. From the video, it seems that the lady's husband dashed to that car willfully. Even though some cars stopped and call the ambulance, the lady's husband lost the mind already and passed away immediately.

I do not want to describe what happened next at our police station. But the reason resulting in that death is still unclear, although the police in that region had investigated.

Grimly fascinating--thank you for posting it.

Was an autopsy/post-mortem carried out on the body and, if so, was there any indication of drugs in the man's system.

More generally, I also live in East Asia and--as with China--public suicide is sadly common. Of course, that would not explain his bizarre candle & dance ritual, but was there any suggestion that the man was undergoing financial or psychological difficulties.

Grimly fascinating--thank you for posting it.

Was an autopsy/post-mortem carried out on the body and, if so, was there any indication of drugs in the man's system.

More generally, I also live in East Asia and--as with China--public suicide is sadly common. Of course, that would not explain his bizarre candle & dance ritual, but was there any suggestion that the man was undergoing financial or psychological difficulties.

Yes, there was an autopsy while the result showed no drunkness, no drugs.

In addition, according to the lady's words, her husband never showed anything unusual even that day. Also, there was not any question concerning the financial and their relationship. I have heard a statement which assumes that the lady's husband has caused a death by accident before. But this statement fails to gain any ground.

Yes, there was an autopsy while the result showed no drunkness, no drugs.

In addition, according to the lady's words, her husband never showed anything unusual even that day. Also, there was not any question concerning the financial and their relationship. I have heard a statement which assumes that the lady's husband has caused a death by accident before. But this statement fails to gain any ground.

Bizarre.

Did this story appear in the media--local or national?

And did these events happen between mid-April and early June?

I cannot remember exactly, but June or July.

I only ask because one angle on suicides that seem to have no discernible trigger is that they sometimes take place on the anniversary of a traumatic event--often the death of a loved one. Given that you're located in a 'central city', my mind turned to a rather major political anniversary that recently passed, 六四事件--but then you said the wife was only 30... How old was the husband?

Completely random speculation, of course, but I wondered whether the candle/dance could have been some kind of final ritual. I've visited China but can claim no expertise at all on the place. Is there any religious or spiritual significance to candles or dancing that you know of?

I only ask because one angle on suicides that seem to have no discernible trigger is that they sometimes take place on the anniversary of a traumatic event--often the death of a loved one. Given that you're located in a 'central city', my mind turned to a rather major political anniversary that recently passed, 六四事件--but then you said the wife was only 30... How old was the husband?

Completely random speculation, of course, but I wondered whether the candle/dance could have been some kind of final ritual. I've visited China but can claim no expertise at all on the place. Is there any religious or spiritual significance to candles or dancing that you know of?

Candles play a significant role in Chinese religion while dances are not on most occasions.

Definitely, there must not any relation between the death and that case you have discussed. BTW, you can speak mandarin?

Candles play a significant role in Chinese religion while dances are not on most occasions.

Definitely, there must not any relation between the death and that case you have discussed. BTW, you can speak mandarin?

No, I'm afraid not--just translation software.

We do have one regular member here in China, but he's in Hong Kong.

Welcome aboard, 王泥喜法介.

A curious story, definitely. Hard to say if the candles and dance were a some kind of tribute or maybe a ritual of some sort? But obviously (being part of this man's last movements) it's natural to try and interpret them, in the hope that it might shed some light on the reasoning behind them.

Is the man's death considered to be a suicide? Or was it interpreted as a hasty/misguided attempt to get back into his car?

Did anybody ascertain as to whether there were any deeper significance of the point where he stopped? If he were lighting candles it may be as a mark of respect for somebody who had died on or around that spot.

It is highly possible but there is no decisive proof.

Have you researched it yourself? Usually with things like this one of us would get google maps up, pinpoint the location, and then start searching Internet Sleuth Style for any news stories or other evidence of things having happened there.

This being China, that's probably not going to be quite so simple. But we'd be happy to try I'm sure.

Have you researched it yourself? Usually with things like this one of us would get google maps up, pinpoint the location, and then start searching Internet Sleuth Style for any news stories or other evidence of things having happened there.

This being China, that's probably not going to be quite so simple. But we'd be happy to try I'm sure.

I'd be happy to get involved in such a study, but I'm not sure that 王泥喜法介/Surprise wants to get into their geographical location owing to privacy issues.

I'd also be happy if this statement is incorrect and there are no such qualms.

Back