• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Strange Death From China

I'd be happy to get involved in such a study, but I'm not sure that 王泥喜法介/Surprise wants to get into their geographical location owing to privacy issues.

I'd also be happy if this statement is incorrect and there are no such qualms.

Fair point. And one I confess that I had overlooked. :)

Then, sitting down in front of a tree, the lady's husband kindled a few candles and started to dance. Even though I never reexamined that video, I had to say that dance seems rather strange. After a few minutes, the lady's husband dashed to the lane quickly and crashed by a car in a high speed. From the video, it seems that the lady's husband dashed to that car willfully. Even though some cars stopped and call the ambulance, the lady's husband lost the mind already and passed away immediately.
shades of elisa lam?
hmmmm...

shades of elisa lam?
hmmmm...

Elisa Lam hardly walked out in front of a car. To be fair we won't ever know conclusively how she ended up where she did. Only that her body was found in that water tank.

Elisa Lam hardly walked out in front of a car. To be fair we won't ever know conclusively how she ended up where she did. Only that her body was found in that water tank.

Agreed ... But ...

I suspect humanoidlord was referring to the strange, seemingly ritualistic, behaviors preceding the death rather than the overall death scenarios. In other words, I suspect the Lam allusion was focused on her odd behaviors in the elevator CCTV video versus the Chinese man's candle-lighting and dancing by the roadside.

Agreed ... But ...

I suspect humanoidlord was referring to the strange, seemingly ritualistic, behaviors preceding the death rather than the overall death scenarios. In other words, I suspect the Lam allusion was focused on her odd behaviors in the elevator CCTV video versus the Chinese man's candle-lighting and dancing by the roadside.

True. Although I don't necessarily see the Lam video as being ritualistic (My gut still says she's either hiding from some third party or playing a game with them) others certainly have interpreted it that way.

It does seem odd that the man in question here seemed to be dancing, though. Otherwise I'd think it was just laying a candle as a mark of respect for somebody who may have died there.

both events involved people behaving strangely before dying

It's not really a tangible thread between the two, though. Sure, one could argue that the behavior of either was unusual. But 'unusual' is one heck of a wide bracket.

There are a number of interpretations over Elisa Lam's behavior in the much shared video. Some believe she was hiding from somebody. Others that she was playing a game, possibly with a third party out of view in the foyer. Some believe that her behavior was directly linked to mental illness, for which she was taking medication but had possibly not in recent days.

But either way, while the clip shared online is her last confirmed movements it is certainly not the moments directly preceding her death. How she got from a foyer level elevator to the discovery of her body in a water tank on the roof of the hotel will likely forever be unknown.

We don't know how she got up there, whether she climbed in, whether she was already deceased and dumped in, when it happened or how much time there was between that and the video.

It's a very complicated case.

Comparing that case to this is far more difficult to draw similarities. Here, the individual's death was far more public, for one. People will have seen him at the side of the road in the moments leading up to his death, people will have seem him being struck by the car which killed him.

Yes, sure, it sounds almost as if what he was doing could have been in some way ceremonial. It would probably strike people as unusual to see somebody doing that at the side of the road. But the circumstances are very very different to Elisa Lam. Far fewer questions could be left unanswered over how the subject died and when. Very little question could be raised over the possibility of a third party being directly involved in their death in any pre-meditated or planned manner.

Last edited:
What we needed to do is to trace the cameras all the way. Perhaps few people know, in China, the cameras are so well equipped along with the high way. This means we could trace that car all the way. After a few minutes, that car stopped on the road suddenly, not on the sidewalk. That was quite strange. At that time, I have to say I feel something strange, perhaps all the others in front of the screen had the same feeling.

What happened next is very strange and horrible. Firstly, the lady's husband jumped out from his car and dashed to the isolated belt along the sidewalk. In China, it is very common that trees are employed to build an isolated belt between different lanes, and this isolated belt is usually more than one metre in width.

Then, sitting down in front of a tree, the lady's husband kindled a few candles and started to dance. Even though I never reexamined that video, I had to say that dance seems rather strange. After a few minutes, the lady's husband dashed to the lane quickly and crashed by a car in a high speed. From the video, it seems that the lady's husband dashed to that car willfully. Even though some cars stopped and call the ambulance, the lady's husband lost the mind already and passed away immediately.

I do not want to describe what happened next at our police station. But the reason resulting in that death is still unclear, although the police in that region had investigated.

Very interesting story, and may I say your English is very good, and easily readable for me (I've read things online from native English speakers that were harder to understand than your posts).

Tragic story, I feel sorry for the man's wife. I wonder if the man had driven this route before, was he familiar with the road perhaps.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will post any other interesting tales you know about.

Very interesting story, and may I say your English is very good, and easily readable for me (I've read things online from native English speakers that were harder to understand than your posts).

Tragic story, I feel sorry for the man's wife. I wonder if the man had driven this route before, was he familiar with the road perhaps.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will post any other interesting tales you know about.
Thank you for your attention and time. In fact, I have posted more stories in this section and the general section, which relate to Beijing subway and old buildings.

Back