• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Strange Room Around A Train Station

王泥喜法介

Devoted Cultist
Hello everyone, today I will introduce another story in Chengdu, my hometown. In fact, it is a true story, and the plot of this story is highly reliable. However, I cannot guarantee all details here completely because it happened over 20 years ago.

Around 20 years ago, the Chinese economy started to increase while Chengdu remained undeveloped because it is located in the west part, where is far away from the coastal line. So, in contrast to Beijing and Shanghai, the normal train, which seems slow and not pleasurable, is the first choice for Chengdu's travellers. Every day, millions of people would arrive at or leave Chengdu, and a few citizens around the train station of Chengdu usually rebuild their apartments into inns to make some money. During that period, the price for one night was around 10-20 yuan. The owners usually wrote the price on a paper-board and spared no effort to show the board to customers when a train arrived at Chengdu.

However, among those owners, a woman around 30 years old only asked for 5 yuan for a night. At first, the woman's neighbours who also operated inns could not understand why her price was so good, and some guessed the woman was probably a prostitute who used a low price to hook customers. To figure out this concern, other owners asked the customers who have slept in the woman's inn secretly. In the customers' words, the woman's inn was clean, cozy and fragrant but the woman did not provide any extra service.

Customers' words solved other owners' concern but some owners could not stop inquiring the truth curiously. One day, they asked the woman why her price was so low, and the woman reluctantly told her story. The woman and her husband divorced a few years ago, and her daughter died afterwards. After that, the woman had nothing but an apartment. Because of her sad experience, she did not want to work but just made a living by renting a room. After hearing her story, other owners warmed to her and never talked about any gossip about her.

However, one day, police visited the train station suddenly and arrested the woman because a customer found a body of a young girl under the bed. Finally, the woman told the truth. She freaked out after the death of her daughter, and a fortune teller told her that there was a magic could revive her daughter. What the woman should do is to put the body of her daughter under a bed and invite 1,000 people to sleep on the bed. If she could make it, her daughter would revive. Knowing this, the woman's neighbours understood why her room was so fragrant because she attempted to cover the smell of the body by this.

Last edited:
I hope the woman got her money back from the fortune teller!

I thought this was going to be like the story I once read of a woman staying in a spare room who woke up in the middle of the night to find someone else in the room with her. She told her to get lost, and in the morning complained to her friends, who admitted the person she had seen sounded a lot like the flatmate who had until recently lived in that room but had killed herself. What made it worse is that the lady had been sleeping in her bed - and they hadn't changed the sheets! She'd been lying in dry blood!

I reckon that no amount of air freshener would cover up the smell of a body under the bed after 3 years of rotting.

A friend of mine works for the local council. Her job is to go into the homes of the recently deceased elderly and work out who to contact and how to manage their estate. Sometimes there is no-one to contact at all. She mentioned one case where the person had been there for a very long time. The body had been recently removed but there was still a pool of it on the bed.:sick2:

Last edited:
I reckon that no amount of air freshner would cover up the smell of a body under the bed after 3 years of rotting.

A friend of mine works for the local council. Her job is to go into the homes of the recently deceased elderly and work out who to contact and how to manage their estate. Sometimes there is no-one to contact at all. She mentioned one case where the person had been there for a very long time. The body had been recently removed but there was still a pool of it on the bed.:sick2:
Thank you for your attention. You always give me kind comment under my every thread.

I hope the woman got her money back from the fortune teller!

I thought this was going to be like the story I once read of a woman staying in a spare room who woke up in the middle of the night to find someone else in the room with her. She told her to get lost, and in the morning complained to her friends, who admitted the person she had seen sounded a lot like the flatmate who had until recently lived in that room but had killed herself. What made it worse is that the lady had been sleeping in her bed - and they hadn't changed the sheets! She'd been lying in dry blood!
I am afraid the poor woman could not find that villain.

I reckon that no amount of air freshner would cover up the smell of a body under the bed after 3 years of rotting.

Also, I have learnt something that I should use "cover up" the smell rather than merely "cover"

Also, I have learnt something that I should use "cover up" the smell rather than merely "cover"

You can use 'cover up' or 'mask' for smells and tastes. The latter is a neat little metaphor when you think about it.

John sucks mints to mask the smell of cigarette smoke on his breath.

John added extra garlic to the dish in order to mask the bitter taste of the poison.

You'll also find 'cover up' all over the CONSPIRACY section of this board as it is also used when somebody attempts to hide corruption, crime and general wrongdoing.

The head of the oil company hired a public relations firm in an attempt to cover up the extent of the environmental damage.

John tried his best to cover up the evidence of his affair, but eventually his wife discovered the truth.

Never trust John!

Last edited:
You can use 'cover up' or 'mask' for smells. The latter is a neat little metaphor when you think about it.

John sucks mints to mask the smell of cigarette smoke on his breath.

You'll also find 'cover up' all over the CONSPIRACY section of this board as it is also used when somebody attempts to hide corruption, crime and general wrongdoing.

The head of the oil company hired a public relations firm in an attempt to cover up the extent of the environmental damage.

John tried his best to cover up the evidence of his affair, but eventually his wife discovered the truth.

Dear Yithian, thank you for your comment, and I guess I could use the two words more correctly after reading your examples. All the best.

Hello everyone, today I will introduce another story in Chengdu, my hometown. In fact, it is a true story, and the plot of this story is highly reliable. However, I cannot guarantee all details here completely because it happened over 20 years ago.

Around 20 years ago, the Chinese economy started to increase while Chengdu remained undeveloped because it is located in the west part, where is far away from the coastal line. So, in contrast to Beijing and Shanghai, the normal train, which seems slow and not pleasurable, is the first choice for Chengdu's travellers. Every day, millions of people would arrive at or leave Chengdu, and a few citizens around the train station of Chengdu usually rebuild their apartments into inns to make some money. During that period, the price for one night was around 10-20 yuan. The owners usually wrote the price on a paper-board and spared no effort to show the board to customers when a train arrived at Chengdu.

However, among those owners, a woman around 30 years old only asked for 5 yuan for a night. At first, the woman's neighbours who also operated inns could not understand why her price was so good, and some guessed the woman was probably a prostitute who used a low price to hook customers. To figure out this concern, other owners asked the customers who have slept in the woman's inn secretly. In the customers' words, the woman's inn was clean, cozy and fragrant but the woman did not provide any extra service.

Customers' words solved other owners' concern but some owners could not stop inquiring the truth curiously. One day, they asked the woman why her price was so low, and the woman reluctantly told her story. The woman and her husband divorced a few years ago, and her daughter died afterwards. After that, the woman had nothing but an apartment. Because of her sad experience, she did not want to work but just made a living by renting a room. After hearing her story, other owners warmed to her and never talked about any gossip about her.

However, one day, police visited the train station suddenly and arrested the woman because a customer found a body of a young girl under the bed. Finally, the woman told the truth. She freaked out after the death of her daughter, and a fortune teller told her that there was a magic could revive her daughter. What the woman should do is to put the body of her daughter under a bed and invite 1,000 people to sleep on the bed. If she could make it, her daughter would revive. Knowing this, the woman's neighbours understood why her room was so fragrant because she attempted to cover the smell of the body by this.

Thought this story reminded me of something:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/body-found-under-motel-bed/

Back