• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Middlecoat

Vanished like an old oak table
I've just come back from the US. Posted this on my Facebook page. Thought y'all would also enjoy it; make of it what you will.

OK, so tonight we did a tour; always a jolly way to finish off a trip. At the end the guide told us the following story. A while back he was sitting in a bar when he recognised a couple who had been on one of his tours the week before. He was a bit perplexed as they were from Wilmington a good 6 hours drive away. They confirmed to the guide that they had indeed returned home but were back again. Rather sheepishly they told him that on the way home the wife had wanted to stop at the edge of the battlefield and invite any lost souls from Wilmington originally to travel back with them. What started out as a good idea (!) quickly degenerated into chaos when their 'attachment' moved into their kitchen, throwing things around and harassing their cat. After a few days of this wife announced that that she was sure the comrades in Gettysburg were missing him and he should get back in the car. Said couple then drove their unwanted guest 6 hours back and dropped him off where they picked him up............. LMAO

Why would she have possibly imagined that could be a good idea?! Like, ever?

I visited Gettysburg battlefield some years back, sort of unintentionally. Kept hands inside car at all times, so to speak. No souvenirs. I found it to be more melancholic than spooky - maybe because it was raining lightly during the visit.

In contrast, the experience I had when traveling through Chickamauga (US Civil War battlefield in Georgia), again unintentionally, was unnerving.

Why would she have possibly imagined that could be a good idea?! Like, ever?

I visited Gettysburg battlefield some years back, sort of unintentionally. Kept hands inside car at all times, so to speak. No souvenirs. I found it to be more melancholic than spooky - maybe because it was raining lightly during the visit.

In contrast, the experience I had when traveling through Chickamauga (US Civil War battlefield in Georgia), again unintentionally, was unnerving.
Indeed. As I left the cemetery I did say out loud that I was going back to the UK and unfortunately did not feel in a position to ask anyone in the vicinity to tag along. Safety first.

Back