• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Year-Long Winter? (1816: 'The Year Without a Summer')

Mister_Awesome

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I don't know if this is the right section for this, but here it goes...
When I was a kid I had a book with lots of Fortean type stuff in it. It had the obvious stuff like Sasquatch and UFOs and whatnot. Later in life I rediscovered this interest, and went looking for information on old stories I remembered from my youthful reading. One I was never able to find any information whatsoever on was a story about a winter that lasted all year.
From what I remember (and this may be way off the mark) there was a year in perhaps the 19th century where the weather was like the dead of winter all year around, possibly all over the world, but at least in the United States. I would think I might have imagined it, but I have a very distinct memory of the art: a very chilly-looking songbird.
I think I remembered this story because when I read another children's book I had, which was about the tales of Paul Bunyon. One had a winter that lasted all year long. I thought that since the tall tales of that ilk were supposedly based on reality on some level, that it must have been inspired by the real-world event.
But enough rambling... Does anyone know anything about this? Did I imagine reading it all, after all?

1816, to be precise.

There's a surprising dearth of historical fiction concerning this year, the sole exception to my knowledge being Frozen Summer, by Mary Jane Auch, the second book in a trilogy (Journey to Nowhere and The Road to Home being the first and third).

Snow in July and crop failure all around. The southern states appear to have been all right, though.

I wonder if there was any major volcanic activity at the time that might have affected the conditions.

If you follow Whistling Jack's link, Spookdaddy, you'll see that you've sussed it (probably). I.E.:

The most likely cause was volcanic influences. Proponents note that a number of major volcanic eruptions preceded 1816: Soufriére and St. Vincent in 1812: Mayon and Luzon in the Phillippines during 1814; Tambora in Indonesia during 1815. The volcanic theory of climatic influence relates increased volcanic activity with decreased temperatures due to the increased reflection of solar radiation from volcanic dust blown and trapped high in the atmosphere. The Tambora eruption has been estimated to be the most violent in historical times. The explosion is believed to have lifted 150 to 180 cubic kilometres of material into the atmosphere. For a comparison, the infamous 1883 eruption of Krakatau ejected only 20 cubic kilometres of material into the air, and yet it affected sunsets for several years after.

Other causes of temperature abnormalities which have been hypothesized include abnormal temperature of ocean waters over a large area, solar variations related to sunspot activity, or changes in atmospheric carbon dioxide or ozone content, but no data exist to uphold or refute these theories. The final possible cause is that the weather of 1816 was just a matter of chance --- that a series of events occurring at the right place and time could initiate the atmospheric conditions which became the weather of the Summer of 1816.
[/quote][/i]

I'd love it to happen again, can't stand summer.

Would this not tie in with Krakatoa?

The year 536 AD was quite miserable as well. Apparently due to an icelandic volcano that time.

The year 536 AD was quite miserable as well. Apparently due to an icelandic volcano that time.

Yep ... It's theorized that eruption in 536 AD kicked off a long period of bad things, including the final collapse of Rome, notably little sunlight for a year or so, and the Justinian Plague.

I've started a new thread for this incident ...

A Very Bad Year: 536 AD (Weather Issues & Subsequent Fallout)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...6-ad-weather-issues-subsequent-fallout.65016/

Back