• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

One of my sons does a bit of that urban exploring thingy, (or rural, when he's home) and apparently, exploring some abandoned WW2 RAF outbuildings on an old airfield near here, last year, came across one Nissan hut or similar, populated with Nazi memorabilia. He said there were uniforms, posters etc. We reckon it was living history people.

He was home this week so went back, but says it's all now gone.

One of my sons does a bit of that urban exploring thingy, (or rural, when he's home) and apparently, exploring some abandoned WW2 RAF outbuildings on an old airfield near here, last year, came across one Nissan hut or similar, populated with Nazi memorabilia. He said there were uniforms, posters etc. We reckon it was living history people.

He was home this week so went back, but says it's all now gone.
Sounds like someone's secret stash for Nazi worship.

Now I know how to post images. Kinda. Here's a several son took at the WW2 airfield. ETA: I think of all the places I know, round here is where I'd least like the car to break down at night if I was alone... It's kind of... atmospheric, and creepy even in broad daylight. He said he photo'd the interior through a window.

Attachments

• nazis.jpg
    nazis.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 28
  • nissan.jpg
    nissan.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 28
  • nissanoutside.jpg
    nissanoutside.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 25
Specifically, it appears to be these re-enactors (if my search for Kaserne - Imhoff was relevant...see http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=67944

(Read the third comment down on that page...might it be your RAF location?)
Followed links and unless I missed one, no it's none of them.

Son says it's all gone now so yes, LH people. (I've been involved in Living History since the late 1970s, but don't know any WW2 people at all). But got to say, also as the daughter of a WW2 veteran (paratrooper), I'm a bit uncomfortable with 'nazis' in that particular place, period as it is.

That said, once we met a couple of German WW2 re-enactors who did mention the War - were a couple of the best LH people I've ever seen (even the contents of their pockets were original artefacts!) and absolutely not nazis. I know there's no connection there! But still. I'm not sure how people of my dad's generation would have felt about that in an RAF camp. Not that the farmer who presumably owns it all now gives two hoots.

Something doesn't sit well, for me. But I totally get why they'd want to do it. My dream is to live as a Regency person (and not a posh Jane Austen one, I mean, a worker) for a lengthy period of time and write about it.

When I worked in Mill Hill some years back, I used to see an odd-looking old fellow who was dressed in WW2 German gear and riding a WW2 motorcycle with sidecar. He was apparently a regular at the art shop that was at the end of Mill Hill high street (so the art shop owner told me). The outfit he wore looked like the genuine article, complete with German helmet and Nazi symbols.
Either he was a true eccentric or a WW2 re-enactor, I don't know which.

Something doesn't sit well, for me. But I totally get why they'd want to do it. My dream is to live as a Regency person (and not a posh Jane Austen one, I mean, a worker) for a lengthy period of time and write about it.
Yes - become a fuller or something equally 'orrible. That'd give you plenty to talk about. :p

In Fleetwood every now and then they have a open day were you can
visit places not usually open to the public, the old radar station, lower
and Pharaohs lights I keep managing to miss it, must make the effort to
go and have a look.

Dara McGrath unearths dark landscapes with Project Cleansweep
Written by Alex Jackson

Harpur Hill, Derbyshire. In 1940, Maintenance Unit No. 28 was the biggest chemical weapons reception and storage depot in the UK. Up to 46,000 individual chemical weapons were stored on the 500-acre site and surrounding country lanes. Wholesale burning of chemical weapons took place there after the war. In 1960 the site closed, and since then the underground tunnels there have been used to store cheese and alcohol and to grow mushrooms. There is also a toxic quarry lake where ordnance was also tested. Known to locals as “The Blue Lagoon,” it has a pH level of 11 © Dara McGrath

Throughout the 20th century, the Ministry of Defence carried out chemical and biological weapons tests in the UK. Dara McGrath’s Project Cleansweep documents these landscapes as they return to public use

“What’s beautiful about the island is that you’re looking at somewhere that hasn’t been touched for the last 70 years. It’s still uninhabited. So many people remain reluctant to go over there. It is unfortunate because it’s a gem of an island. It’s beautiful.”

Dara McGrath is talking about Gruinard Island, a remote piece of land just off the north west coast of Scotland that has no permanent residents and very little wildlife. In many ways it might be considered idyllic, but it’s deserted for good reason – its local nickname is Anthrax Island and until 1990 it was quarantined for public safety.

Its dark history stretches back to 1942, when the Ministry of Defence launched Operation Vegetarian – a series of experiments which released lethal Anthrax bombs against cattle on the island. The tests hoped to determine how useful Anthrax would be if used against German civilian populations; the bacteria proved more successful than even the MoD had anticipated and the island was declared a no-go zone for decades.

Etc....

http://www.bjp-online.com/2017/07/dara-mcgrath-unearths-dark-landscapes-with-project-cleansweep/

I'd love to have one of those. I remember seeing them in design mags from the 70s (or was it the 60s?) and thinking they were the height of cool. Depressing to see how neglected that one is.

Abandoned film locations time: I think I've posted this before but ..... don't watch this if you didn't like Ferris Bueller's Day Off ..

How did that luxury house get to be abandoned? Unless...it was built for the film?

How did that luxury house get to be abandoned? Unless...it was built for the film?
Without research .. the house (Ferris's home) was and still is a real house .. the modernist buildings (the character Cameron's parents house) in the woods that contained the fake Ferrari is an actual real historic listed building although I don't know how well it's doing in 2017 ..

to quote Ferris "Cameron's house is like a museum .. it's cold, it's beautiful and you're not allowed to touch anything", almost certainly representative of partially why the character had his meltdown at the end of the film ..

Last edited:
Another film locations one from Herve Attia .. just because I hugely love his work and how he does it .. Stand By Me, then and now ..

Another winning abandoned film locations vid from Herve Attia

Here's another ghost village. We all know of Aberfan but who's heard of Pantyfynnon in the Upper Swansea valley? Once on the main road between Swansea & Brecon, abandoned in the 60s due to landslip, which is still going on & affecting nearby Panteg. Link.

Old photo

xxxxxxxxxx.jpg

Now

xxxxxxxxxx.jpg

A town revisited that had been abandoned since 1982, Kitsault, British Columbia, Canada ..

A town revisited that had been abandoned since 1982, Kitsault, British Columbia, Canada ..

Nice video, but a couple of things strike me. Firstly, that's one heck of an ugly car at 3:45! Secondly, at 2:30 and other places, it looks as though someone's been mowing the grass.

Nice video, but a couple of things strike me. Firstly, that's one heck of an ugly car at 3:45! Secondly, at 2:30 and other places, it looks as though someone's been mowing the grass.

I thought the whole place looked in good condition for somewhere that's been deserted for the last 35 years.

In 2004, the ghost town was bought by Indian-American businessman Krishnan Suthanthiran for $5.7 million; he has spent $2 million maintaining the town.[2] In the end, he would have spent over $20 million more to fully update the town. He has also since closed the town to the public.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsault

Back