Abandoned, Disused & Ruinous Places

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong.
I find such exploration fascinating and don't disapprove of such investigation.
I just feel, personally, uncomfortable when it involves such an intimate setting. As I said, I'm not suggesting these 'explorers' are dishonest but, I suppose, I question the ... um ... aims(?) of the many You Tubers who film going into wrecked homes. Not places but homes.

I am fascinated by abandoned and deserted places. I've 'mucked around' in such, not giving myself the lovely title of "urban explorer".*
I love seeing a place, a mansion - say - that local rumour has it that it was owned by a 'stranger' who paid for it to be built, had loads of friends for the weekend (to the annoyance of locals) and threw money about ... only for one "mysterious night" to be deserted before a police raid.
It's not stating fact but we can all see the implication of desertion from the law. We want to grub around, to see "how they lived", see if there's evidence of salacious goings-on. But "they" are not "of us".
These are attractive, compelling.

When it comes to a semi- or completely detached house in a suburban setting then, surely, there has to be a point where someone asks "Right, why do we want to go in here?"

* In SE London in my youth of the 1970's, I was used to clambering over "bomb sites" (not a true label) and urban renewal. I spent many a time in the ruin of a church which, only 4 years earlier, I'd been at a harvest festival. You couldn't keep me out of deserted, wrecked houses.
If you'd called me an 'urban explorer', I'd have exploded with pride.

Krepostnoi

He/him
Reaction score
Rock City...
Them were t'days.

Shane MacGowan at Rock City with the Pope's, so pissed he couldn't stand up, clutching the microphone stand for dear life, and yet absolutely on fire as a performer. One of the best gigs I ever saw.

Or driving past the queue to get in on my old Russian bike and sidecar, and getting a massive cheer.

Yeah, I liked that place ...

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
You could probably buy Detroit from the administrators for $100 now :p

“You Can Buy a $1 Detroit Home. But Should You?

Yes, it’s true. You can buy a home for $1 in Detroit. But you really don’t want to. The $1 houses are mostly gutted. The taxes alone would make a $1 house a bad deal.

Detroit’s economy has gone off its own fiscal cliff. The city’s population has gone from a high of about 1,850,000 in 1950 to just 700,000 in 2013. That’s a drop of about 62%. Detroit has $20 billion in debt and an unemployment rate of more than 50%. The city has over 78,000 abandoned homes.”

https://moneynation.com/can-buy-1-detroit-home/

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My youngest nephew bought a house in Liverpool for £1 a year or so ago..
I'm not sure what the exact terms of sale are, but my reaction to it was 'I'm sure there's a catch'.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
My youngest nephew bought a house in Liverpool for £1 a year or so ago..
I'm not sure what the exact terms of sale are, but my reaction to it was 'I'm sure there's a catch'.
I remember there was a tv programme about that, i think in the terms you had to renovate it and live there (not sell or let it) for 5 or so years.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I remember there was a tv programme about that, i think in the terms you had to renovate it and live there (not sell or let it) for 5 or so years.
He has no plans to live there and has no money for renovation.

marhawkman

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Heh, I live in what most would call a "small town" and we have a surprising number of abandoned buildings. If you look around the town square carefully it's obvious most of them aren't being used for their original purpose and some of them are deteriorated to the point they need remodeled in order to be usable..... this is the middle of town.

You could do some pretty hard core urban archaeology here. The stuff things used to be is pretty weird.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score

“You Can Buy a $1 Detroit Home. But Should You?

Yes, it’s true. You can buy a home for $1 in Detroit. But you really don’t want to. The $1 houses are mostly gutted. The taxes alone would make a $1 house a bad deal.

Detroit’s economy has gone off its own fiscal cliff. The city’s population has gone from a high of about 1,850,000 in 1950 to just 700,000 in 2013. That’s a drop of about 62%. Detroit has $20 billion in debt and an unemployment rate of more than 50%. The city has over 78,000 abandoned homes.”

https://moneynation.com/can-buy-1-detroit-home/

maximus otter
You can despair, or you can do something constructive and positive, like join an urban gardening project:
https://www.miufi.org/
"We are creating America's first sustainable agrihood with multiple projects under development!"
and
https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/michigan/articles/the-best-urban-farms-in-detroit-mi/
"Urban farming is one of the most popular ways for Detroiters to get involved in a community while also tackling problems like poor diet and inadequate nutritional education."

Or help reinvent the city itself:
https://www.metrodetroitd4.org/
"We work with decision makers to cultivate effective public policy and legislation; we partner with grassroots organizations to launch on-the-ground campaigns negotiating community benefits with developers; and we hone the leadership skills of community leaders to help them organize their own neighborhood."

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
He has no plans to live there and has no money for renovation.
How is he paying the Council Tax? I understand that they've stopped giving discounts for empty and unoccupied properties, so why would anyone buy somewhere to leave it empty?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
How is he paying the Council Tax? I understand that they've stopped giving discounts for empty and unoccupied properties, so why would anyone buy somewhere to leave it empty?
I don't ask too many questions, sorry.
He'll find out the hidden costs the hard way.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Haunted abandoned village for sale

The Old Village of Lawers: Ruins 'haunted by seer who predicted invention of trains and steamships' is on the market​

The ruins of a village said to be haunted by a 17th-century seer who predicted the invention of trains and steamships have gone on sale.

By Laura Paterson
Friday, 25th June 2021, 5:08 pm

The Old Village of Lawers, on the north shore of Loch Tay in Perthshire – whose ruins are a Scheduled Ancient Monument – is on sale for offers over £125,000.
https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-a...rains-and-steamships-is-on-the-market-3287259

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Grandfather Discovers 17-foot Mediaeval Well Under Living Room.

A grandfather who spent the last decade digging out a 17ft-deep medieval well in his living room floor has found a coin from 1725.

44769083-9732709-Colin_Steer_pictured_70_discovered_the_well_after_he_noticed_a_d-m-11_1624892373312.jpg

Colin Steer, 70, discovered the well after he noticed a dip in the floor of the living room in his Victorian home in Plymouth, Devon, while redecorating 34 years ago.

At the time he had three small children running around so his wife Vanessa asked him to cover it back up, but when he retired in 2012 he took it on as a project and started digging.

44769099-9732709-He_recently_found_a_ring_and_a_coin_from_1725_pictured_and_hopes-a-2_1624901238175.jpg

Mr Steer discovered a sword five feet below the soil, leading him to believe it could date back to medieval times, and he said site plans suggest record of the well in the 1500s.

Of the sword, he previously said: ‘It was hidden at a 45 degree angle and sort of just fell out.

44769117-9732709-Mr_Steer_discovered_a_sword_five_feet_below_the_soil_leading_him-m-17_1624892543182.jpg

‘It looks like an old peasant’s fighting weapon because it appears to be made up of bits of metal all knocked together.’

The couple's grandchildren love to look down the hole through the sheet of Perspex and Mr Steer said it was a great talking point with his neighbours.

“lt is a good thing to show off to people as it is not something that you see every day. I have actually even tried some of the water that is at the bottom of the well. It was really clear and tasted fine to me.

'I am going to get it tested for bacteria and if everything came back good then I could even bottle it up and sell it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...7ft-medieval-living-room-finds-1725-coin.html

maximus otter