• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

Fantastic!

I think that I might be able to add another abandoned site, the site of the International Garden Festival in Liverpool. Back in 1984 it was intended to restart Liverpools fortune by attracting thousands of visitors and new investment.

Hmmm, can anyone else see a pattern developing?

Hello everyone!
I`m too stupid to know how to post links and addresses....sorry.
However if you google 28days later you get to a fabulous urban exploration site.
It`s got everything old and decaying anyone could ever wish fo.
It`s got some brilliant links to ghost towns of america and everything.
Whoo hoo!
Anyway.......
That`s all.
TTFN!xxxxxx :? ;)

Exploring abandonned buildings, bunkers, installations, tunnels and god knows what else seems to be quite a popular thing with some people, they'll take quite a lot of risks to get in places and get some cool photos of dereliction and decay.

Cool stuff! Used to date a bird from Manchester and remember standing on Platform 14 many times, had no idea such a majestic old building was just metres away. Amazing it has survived for so long, you would have thought real estate would be pricey in that part of the city. Is there plans to demolish and develop on it?

A friend posted some pics on Facebook the other day of a cool abandoned Art Deco swimming pool that has become something of a graffiti den, not sure how to like to his Fbook gallery but have found some other online images on Flickr.

Piscine Molitor...
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=piscine%20molitor

I'd like to get access to take more pictures before this is bulldozed. Almost in the centre of Manchester.

Nice. Old stations always look like somewhere that would be cool to live... I think it's all those episodes of The Tomorrow People that did it. :lol:

I remember watching "The Last Train" on the Sci Fi Channel, when I lived in Manchester, I didn't know that's where it was filmed!

Some really nice looking properties there. Seems amazing that nobody wants them, but I guess if there is nothing in the city to attract people there.

Still, I'd imagine those who already live in Detroit would be interested? Though they don't exactly look like they are in the nicest of neighbourhoods. I guess if you had the money to renovate you would not pick a place on the wrong side of the tracks and if you are from the wrong side of the tracks you haven't the money to renovate. Catch 22.

I wonder if the properties have owners who have just given up on them or if they are technically ownerless and abandoned? You would think the city council would pull them down if they had been derelict for that long.

Really cool though and I'd be tempted to go investigating them if I lived in Detroit!

A mate of mine spent 12 months in Detroit via University. Like most of his student colleagues, he was too scared to go off campus for a while. He lived right behind the Motown studios. If I'm correct its a notoriously dangerous are to live (where he was).

He also said that British people cannot understand the scale of Detroit. I think he said the nearest mall to him was around 30 miles away! He said that around him block after block was derelict.

Obviously I'm just talking about the area where he lived, I'm not saying everywhere in Detroit is the same. Thats as daft as Americans being told not to go to Manchester because you might get shot.

Jeez, he isn't joking either!

Just went into Google Street View, picked a random block and it looks like something out of The Walking Dead. Like nobody has lived there for years. Insane!

http://www.marchandmeffre.com/detroit/index.html

Prob some crossover of images from the previous link. The ones of the theatres and central station are amazing! And to think Hollywood spunks away millions recreating post-apocalyptic sets.

Actually stunned at the scale of delapidation in a major US city.

Julien Temple made a documentary about modern Detroit and how it was "the first American city to fail", it was on BBC Two last year and showed many eerie shots of the derelict blocks. It also said that some people have moved in on the abandoned land and started farming there.

Is Detroit an abandoned wasteland?
How did that happen?

gncxx said:
Julien Temple made a documentary about modern Detroit and how it was "the first American city to fail", it was on BBC Two last year and showed many eerie shots of the derelict blocks. It also said that some people have moved in on the abandoned land and started farming there.

Yeh I found that yesterday and have made a note to watch it when I get a chance.

It is available online, and presumably could be found on iPlayer for those not frozen out... :cry:

http://rutube.ru/tracks/3971045.html?v= ... 366e7bbda8

Mythopoeika said:
How did that happen?

The failing American car industry pulled out of the city, and because pretty much all anyone did there was make cars the whole city broke down.

Detroit was Motor City and parallels can be found on a much smaller scale in South Wales when the pits closed down and many other places in the North of England when the shipyards shut down and industry declined.

Like my mate said, we cannot imagine the scale of a city like Detroit. I fid it almost undeleivalble the sheer scale of America that an area of that scale can almost be abandoned as a ghetto.

The co-ordinates given in the second article (37°49’02.16?N 140°33’05.78?E) on Google Earth takes you to Hobara, an ordinary looking town.

gncxx said:
Mythopoeika said:
How did that happen?

The failing American car industry pulled out of the city, and because pretty much all anyone did there was make cars the whole city broke down.

The atmospheric and occasionally disturbing video for Röyksopp's The Drug was filmed in the enormous old Packard Automotive plant in Detroit. Link here.

I can imagine that place being a fim-maker/photographer/urban-sketcher's dream - and a resident's nightmare.

I just read Martin Cruz Smith's rather good crime novel, Wolves Eat Dogs. There's a Guardian review of the book which states: 'When Cruz Smith is at his best, as he is here, it is impossible to tell how much is research and how much imagination.'

This is very true, and why I did some research early on to confirm that people actually did live and work (legally and illegaly) in Chernobyl's Zone of Exclusion - and whether residents and squatters had moved back to the villages, whether there were organised day-trips to the site, and poachers had moved in to take advantage of the areas apparently burgeoning wildlife.*

Anyway, some rather awesome pictures contained in the following:

reactor4.be

Village of Joy

Article with more amazing photographs here.

And yes, people do go urban exploring in Chernobyl & Pripyat.

*All of that seems to be true, but I wasn't able to find any evidence that Chernobyl is the site of an Orthodox Jewish pilgrimage - seems that might be where Cruz Smith was exercising a little authorial imagination.

Back