• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

As a previous poster has already said, the amount of possibilities they could provide to people in not well off areas around the world instead of just being left there to rot ?.. etc ..
Well, lots of China qualifies as 'the less well off areas of the world', I wonder if they could redistribute them into villages etc (I think most of those bikes are in the very first-world big cities)

What I find strange is that someone as taken the trouble to arrange them into some order.

What I find strange is that someone as taken the trouble to arrange them into some order.
Maybe someone's hoping people like us (I don't care which country) notice that they've deliberately done that to hint that someone should try to redistribute them ?

Last edited:
Reactions: RaM
Not confined to a single place but; abandoned and disused bikes in China .. a lot of them ..

Here's a drone's eye view of just a tiny fraction of them

View attachment 9003

More of them and why this has happened ..

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2...iles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/
A friend tells me that everyone's got electronic bikes now, so they don't want pedal bikes. So this is like all the abandoned iPhone 6s after everyone's got a iPhone 7.

I think because they all belong to different companies (these are like Boris bikes in London, but instead of being run by one authority they're run by multiple competing companies, making BoJo more communist than China in this respect :rolleyes:), I guess they're hoping the companies will reclaim and do something with them?

EDIT: Actually, the article mentions 'abandoned and unused': I think the more orderly shots are of bikes that have been manufactured but not yet used.

Abandoned billionaire's mansion in the UUUU - K

5413.jpg

The BMX track from the 2008 Beijing Olympics. From a collection of similar pics on today's Guardian, a source of some great photo pieces, which are worth a look most days. https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...beijings-crumbling-olympic-legacy-in-pictures

Surprising that they didn't use it for training their Olympic teams.
What a waste.

Last edited:
Should be turned into a museum, attract tourists, inject money into the local economy.

Macabre though that sounds, it probably would work.

Depends on how the locals would respond though. I mean people will have lost family members through Shipman. They might see that as rubbing salt into a wound which had not yet even close to have healed.

Opened in the 70's, 'The Land of Oz' theme park in Beech Mountain, North Carolina closed down in 1980 and is now largely derelict. A few tours there still remain for a few days in August each year ..

When I was living in Barcelona at the beginning of this year I bought Marc Femenia's book Error De Sistema, which documents the aftermath of the Spanish building bubble of the early/mid 2000's.

Error de sistema.jpg

What is maybe a bit different about the disused and abandoned places that Femenia photographs is not that they are old, obselete or no longer serving a purpose, but that they are virtually brand new, and have never been used.

Article here - with some great photographs.

Last edited:
Abandoned billionaire's mansion in the UUUU - K...

I don't know where the overseas chappy gets the idea that Van Hoogstraten 'was' a genius and 'had' an amazing imagination and might have actually been a good person (and, unfortunately, that should be 'is' and 'has' - as far as I know Nicolas Van Wotsisface is currently still alive and mugging parts of south and central Africa).

The man is most definitely, and virtually by his own admission, a horrible cock of the first water.

And there's no genius in exploiting the poor - horrible cocks have been doing it forever.

I don't know where the overseas chappy gets the idea that Van Hoogstraten 'was' a genius and 'had' an amazing imagination and might have actually been a good person (and, unfortunately, that should be 'is' and 'has' - as far as I know he is currently still alive and mugging parts of south and central Africa).

The man is most definitely, and virtually by his own admission, a horrible cock of the first water.

And there's no genius in exploiting the poor - horrible cocks have been doing it forever.
^this^

Here's one right close to home:

fc4e29901e56041d03f4f1daa52a1ff66e51c8d8.jpg

Callan Park, that rambling antidote to the concrete geometry of much of Sydney’s inner city, is crumbling in parts and will soon need a new tenant.

Not all buildings in the park have been abandoned. The University of Sydney’s College of the Arts has maintained the Kirkbride complex of sandstone buildings, but is due to leave that site next year.

“Ten or 20 years ago it would have been much easier to restore these buildings,” said Hall Greenland, the president of community group Friends of Callan Park, said of the park’s convalescent cottages, built with local sandstone in the 1880s and now boarded up and being claimed by vegetation.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...e-of-callan-park-unclear-20181118-p50grj.html

Essentially, the Government may preserve the park, but not the buildings. Property developers are licking their chops as this is a much sought after area. Sad.

A tour of the grounds and inside John Lennon's abandoned old house, uploaded 21st March, 2009

"This was my once in a lifetime chance to visit the grounds inside and out of John Lennon's "Beatle" home from July 1964 to Dec 1968. I still felt John's spirit throughout the house especially in his attic studio. Located in the upscale St. George's Hill in Weybridge Surrey."

Opened in the 70's, 'The Land of Oz' theme park in Beech Mountain, North Carolina closed down in 1980 and is now largely derelict. A few tours there still remain for a few days in August each year ..

Must be trippy as f*ck, like being in Return to Oz for real.

A tour of the grounds and inside John Lennon's abandoned old house, uploaded 21st March, 2009

When I was working in the UK in 2004, I often drove past Weybridge and wondered if I should go and have a look. I never did, though. It's a bit against my nature to gawk.

Here's an interesting tidbit from Wikipedia: According to a neighbor who lived next door from 1960 to 2000, every owner since the Lennons sold it due to divorce.

A modern curse, or just how the rich do it?

And yes, he goes into the famous Attic!
000.jpg

IMG_20181127_212412-1.jpg3

The Turkish Ghost Town, Burj Al Babas, Filled With Fairytale Castles
Imagine a rolling landscape of towering, pristine castles almost as far as your eyes can see. It sounds breathtaking — and it is — just probably not in the way you'd think. These Disney-esque villas are in a Turkish housing development called Burj al Babas, and it's completely abandoned.

Located approximately halfway between Istanbul and Ankara, the empty town consists of hundreds of almost identical castles in various states of completion. Developers meant for these uniform villas to be luxury vacation homes for wealthy tourists when they began construction in 2014. However, when the company went bankrupt in 2018, investors pulled out of the deal which put construction on hold.

The development cost a cool $200 million to build thus far. But instead of a grandiose, multi-million dollar retreat, Burj al Babas has become something out of a dystopian novel.

The French chateaux-style castle exteriors are styled with ornate facades, Juliet balconies and round turrets which adorn them. But inside are half-finished rooms. Some look as though workers dropped their tools mid-job and walked out. This lends itself to the eerie feeling one might get from gazing upon a fleet of homes with nary a soul in sight.

Workers completed 587 of Burj Al Babas' 732 planned buildings. There were also plans to build movie theaters, sports facilities, and Turkish baths.

The castles originally came with a $400,000 to $500,000 price tag, and a handful actually did sell. But with the uncertain future of the project, some of the sales had to be canceled.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/burj-al-babas

Last edited:
Back