• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

I suppose the owners could've arranged sale from wherever they now are. I'm thinking if they'd had a mortgage & not paid it, the house would eventually be repossessed & cleared of contents before sale in an auction..

There's quite a list of Russians who've died mysteriously in this country. Getting on the wrong side of Putin can be bad for your health. Maybe they knew/suspected they were on a hit list so left pronto. I'm thinking dodgy/dirty money. There's a thread on websleuths who can be quite good on digging details. Not much on it so far but it's only been going a day.

This is a weird one - Abandoned house in Kings Langley.

The occupants appear to have left in a hurry in 2016 leaving most of their possessions - dishwasher with washed plates inside, 5 cars, one of which is a Bentley, designer clothes, pianos & much more. The owners were believed to be called Kozlowska, possibly Polish. Makes you wonder what the story is..

One of the rooms has a huge snooker table left abandoned, with the a cue and balls still on the table as if it was left mid-match

The mansion, which has eight bedrooms, six bathrooms and four reception rooms (pictured), is well past its glory days, with five abandoned cars littering the overgrown grounds, including a rusty Bentley

The stunning piano sits in front of the window looking out on to the grounds, with a half finished game of chess eerily sitting on the coffee table

Beat me to it. I was just about to come and share this. I find it interesting that the say the sofa is pretty dust free. I suppose someone could have been squatting there.

I wonder if there was some dodgy dealings that’s why everything is left.

I suppose the owners could've arranged sale from wherever they now are. I'm thinking if they'd had a mortgage & not paid it, the house would eventually be repossessed & cleared of contents before sale in an auction..

There's quite a list of Russians who've died mysteriously in this country. Getting on the wrong side of Putin can be bad for your health. Maybe they knew/suspected they were on a hit list so left pronto. I'm thinking dodgy/dirty money. There's a thread on websleuths who can be quite good on digging details. Not much on it so far but it's only been going a day.
Have you got a link to websluths?

I think if there was someway of digging up the actual names of the family (I presume they may be assumed names) but first names would be a good start

Sometimes, if they owe back taxes, they are made to leave immediately and are told to leave everything behind because everything now belongs to the government.

The Mail have been doing some digging:

House not owned by Russians but a Greek property tycoon.

Villagers told how father-of-five Athanasios Tachmintzis, 70, lived for around 18 years in the imposing house near King's Langley, Hertfordshire, before he disappeared suddenly more than three years ago.

Mr Tachmintzis, who has owned the property since 1999, lived there for almost two decades with his two daughters and at least one of his sons, but it is unclear who was at the house when it was abandoned and left frozen in time.

Land Registry records reveal the house has been owned since 1999 by a company called Ainhurst Enterprises Ltd, with a care of address at a firm of solicitors in Bournemouth, Dorset.

The company does not feature on Companies House records, suggesting it is based overseas. The Land Registry records also show a number of charges for allegedly unpaid bills have been made against the abandoned house.

Three of the charges registered in 2017 are to repay sums allegedly owed to power company Dong Energy Sales (UK).

There are also three charges relating to debts allegedly owed to Three Rivers District Council. Two of the charge were registered in 2018, and the third was last year.

The business affairs of Mr Tachmintzis appear to be shrouded in mystery. Companies House records described him as a British property consultant when he was director of a property management company between 1991 and 1995.

His only other UK directorship was in a company called Imperial Estates London Ltd which was set up with him as sole shareholder in June 2017 and gave his nationality as Greek. The firm never filed accounts and was struck off the companies register last August.

He was also registered as living in 2016 in a Georgian house in Cliveden Place, Belgravia. The leasehold of the house was bought for £1,075,000 in July last year when there was only 18 years remaining on the lease.

The new owners are a limited company owned by an architect, using the same mail forwarding and registered office address in north London as thousands of other companies including two businesses linked to Mr Tachmintzis's sons Nicholas and Paul.

More at link

The Mail have been doing some digging:

House not owned by Russians but a Greek property tycoon.

Villagers told how father-of-five Athanasios Tachmintzis, 70, lived for around 18 years in the imposing house near King's Langley, Hertfordshire, before he disappeared suddenly more than three years ago.

Mr Tachmintzis, who has owned the property since 1999, lived there for almost two decades with his two daughters and at least one of his sons, but it is unclear who was at the house when it was abandoned and left frozen in time.

More at link

There is enough there for the police to open up an enquiry, especially with one son who had a troubled past

There is enough there for the police to open up an enquiry, especially with one son who had a troubled past

But it appears the house is still owned by the same company Ainhurst Enterprises Ltd which bought it in 1999 when Tachmintzis moved in so it's his company in all probability.

The fact he & his family disappeared suddenly 3 years ago wouldn't necessarily warrant a police investigation if he still owns it unless they had indication of nefarious goings on.. They've just vacated & could be living anywhere.

But it appears the house is still owned by the same company Ainhurst Enterprises Ltd which bought it in 1999 when Tachmintzis moved in so it's his company in all probability.

The fact he & his family disappeared suddenly 3 years ago wouldn't necessarily warrant a police investigation if he still owns it unless they had indication of nefarious goings on.. They've just vacated & could be living anywhere.
I may have read it wrong but I thought Ainhurst purchased the property

I may have read it wrong but I thought Ainhurst purchased the property

The earlier Mail article made it sound like Ainhurst recently bought the house, but according to the later article, Ainhurst bought the house in 1999. Tachmintzis moved in in 1999, so presumably the 2 are connected. Ainhurst isn't registered at Companies House so is presumed to be based overseas.

Doesn't answer the mystery of what happened. Wouldn't surprise me if they've got people working on it & more will come out..

The earlier Mail article made it sound like Ainhurst recently bought the house, but according to the later article, Ainhurst bought the house in 1999. Tachmintzis moved in in 1999, so presumably the 2 are connected. Ainhurst isn't registered at Companies House so is presumed to be based overseas.

Doesn't answer the mystery of what happened. Wouldn't surprise me if they've got people working on it & more will come out..
The Daily Mirror are now running the story but no different and there is a video of the house on YouTube. Save yourself the time, it's a video of the still photographs we have already seen.

I just love those "videos". Does it have a shitty robot voice mispronouncing a script written by an eight year old? If so, then it's perfect.

The pretty Mt Lofty Railway station in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia, ceased function as a stop in 1987. It was renovated to accommodate tourists until 2018. If it re-opens as a lodging, I shall take my kids there for a couple of days. Would have great atmosphere, especially on a cold foggy winter's morn.
hqdefault.jpg

4447-46e3-5dd1-a2fa-54faa7cffa9c.jpg

adelaide-hills-mount-lofty-railway-station-south-a41.JPG

Last edited:
I apologize in advance if this has already been posted but, I am watching this as I type and thought I really should post this on Forteana before I forget. This is such a great find and apparently somewhere in the UK. Really interesting stuff in this place. :)

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted but, I am watching this as I type and thought I really should post this on Forteana before I forget. This is such a great find and apparently somewhere in the UK. Really interesting stuff in this place. :)

That took me back to the days exploring the abandoned houses on London’s bomb sites. Some of the houses were abandoned, most likely during the blitz, and remained closed off until the areas were redeveloped, some sites as late as the seventies. Great adventures when we were kids.

An Abandoned Nuclear Power Plant!

I had not expected to see this kind of thing in such detail, where the lights are left on and the control-room has some features working!

The idiots valiant explorers wade into flooded areas in their plimsolls but that's OK - they have a Geiger counter! :nods:

I didn't make a video but one place I was living near years ago was an abandoned apartment building. Weird part was just how much stuff was left behind. Absolute weirdest was the soda machines. They were unplugged and unlocked so you could just walk up and empty them out.

I didn't make a video but one place I was living near years ago was an abandoned apartment building. Weird part was just how much stuff was left behind. Absolute weirdest was the soda machines. They were unplugged and unlocked so you could just walk up and empty them out.
Vending machines like that are usually operated by separate companies. It's odd that they didn't return and take away their machines.

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but I'm currently addicted to Abandoned Engineering on UKTV Play. I'm constantly amazed by how much stuff is just left lying about, the UK doesn't feature much but there's loads of sites in Russia and the US. I guess they've got the space, not much room here to leave things to rot.

Last edited:
Back