• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

Vending machines like that are usually operated by separate companies. It's odd that they didn't return and take away their machines.
hmmm... the part I found weird is that it wasn't empty. They left the cans of soda in it. I figured the machine was there because it was an older model and may or may not have been considered junk by whoever owned it.

hmmm... the part I found weird is that it wasn't empty. They left the cans of soda in it. I figured the machine was there because it was an older model and may or may not have been considered junk by whoever owned it.
Were the drinks in OK condition? Sounds odd, yes.

Bickerton Copper Mine

It is thought that copper has been mined at Bickerton and Gallantry Bank since the Bronze Age and by the Romans

Used to cycle over there as a kid.

There is a very steep railway line which we used to climb up.

My younger brother managed to fall all the way from the top to the bottom. He went end over end like a Slinky, only faster. All I could think of was 'I just KNOW Im getting the blame for this.'

Luckily for me he survived.

Bickerton Copper Mine

My younger brother managed to fall all the way from the top to the bottom. He went end over end like a Slinky, only faster. All I could think of was 'I just KNOW Im getting the blame for this.'

No injury? He was lucky.

No injury? He was lucky.
Yup, he was about 10. At the bottom he stood straight up and started wailing in that irritating way that younger brothers do when they see an opportunity to drop a sibling in it.

All he had was a huge scarlet welt across his forehead, like a squashed strawberry. He received no medical attention.

Last edited:
He received no medical attention.
Heh. I was hauled off to the doctor with an injury exactly one time. I was 14 or 15 by then, and it turned out to be a fracture for which I was given a splint and a warning not to dislocate it, else it would really hurt.

Yup, he was about 10. At the bottom he stood straight up and started wailing in that irritating way way that younger brothers do when they see an opportunity to drop a sibling in it.

All he had was a huge scarlet welt across his forehead, like a squashed strawberry. He received no medical attention.
Bickerton Copper Mine

Cheesewheel champ of 1972 right there.
:clap:

Cheesewheel champ of 1972 right there.
:clap:

Yup, you mind-reader! First time I saw the cheese-rolling done I remembered Bro's epic descent. It was every bit as violent.

I am red-'ot on head injures and always insist on getting people checked over for them.
Sent a few families off to A&E after their little darlings knocked themselves silly when they slipped over when running along beside the swimming pools at work.

At the very least, having half their day wasted and paying stiff hospital parking fees would make the parents more careful about letting Junior charge around the place.

Yup, you mind-reader! First time I saw the cheese-rolling done I remembered Bro's epic descent. It was every bit as violent.

I am red-'ot on head injures and always insist on getting people checked over for them.
Sent a few families off to A&E after their little darlings knocked themselves silly when they slipped over when running along beside the swimming pools at work.

At the very least, having half their day wasted and paying stiff hospital parking fees would make the parents more careful about letting Junior charge around the place.

You're one mean mollusc. :sbump:

This - I wish my parents in the 70's had the same attitude. I know a few blokes who played Rugby both in the UK and NZ who suffered half a dozen concussions. I've had about 4 myself.

Some of the men can't remember a lot of their teenage years because of them. Some of them have issues with temper or emotional regulation.

Concussion syndrome is a bastard.

This - I wish my parents in the 70's had the same attitude. I know a few blokes who played Rugby both in the UK and NZ who suffered half a dozen concussions. I've had about 4 myself.

Some of the men can't remember a lot of their teenage years because of them. Some of them have issues with temper or emotional regulation.

Me two as a kid. Once playing sport. Once when drunk.

It's really common in heavy impact sports around the world.

Head injuries, even apparently minor ones, are a lot more dangerous than used to be thought, as you know. The various effects can be lasting and disastrous, and as you've learned, cause trouble in later life.

That's if they don't cause severe damage or even kill right away. Two words: Natasha Richardson. She had the classic 'lucid interval' after a head injury when all seems well, before the bleeding into the brain compresses it and causes massive pressure and destruction.

If the bleeding isn't detected soon enough and the skull isn't operated on to relieve the pressure, the patient will usually die, as Richards did.
What a terrible tragedy, considering that she could have been saved if she'd accepted the ski resort staff's advice.

The staff are trained in injury response and knew what to do for her. They called an ambulance right away but the paramedics didn't even get to see her because she refused treatment.

Take the advice, folks! The paramedics/medics would rather check you or your loved one over and send you all home than have to deal with an epidural haematoma. This is what I tell people when there's been a bump.

Head injuries, even apparently minor ones, are a lot more dangerous than used to be thought, as you know. The various effects can be lasting and disastrous, and as you've learned, cause trouble in later life.

That's if they don't cause severe damage or even kill right away. Two words: Natasha Richardson. She had the classic 'lucid interval' after a head injury when all seems well, before the bleeding into the brain compresses it and causes massive pressure and destruction.

If the bleeding isn't detected soon enough and the skull isn't operated on to relieve the pressure, the patient will usually die, as Richards did.
What a terrible tragedy, considering that she could have been saved if she'd accepted the ski resort staff's advice.

The staff are trained in injury response and knew what to do for her. They called an ambulance right away but the paramedics didn't even get to see her because she refused treatment.

Take the advice, folks! The paramedics/medics would rather check you or your loved one over and send you all home than have to deal with an epidural haematoma. This is what I tell people when there's been a bump.

Totally agree and it's not just the prospect of death it's also brain injury. I don't want to go into details but a friend is currently suffering from concussion syndrome and she's not really been back fully functioning in over a year.

Guys I know can't remember stuff after concussions, they cite changes in their personality, memory issues, dark moods, anger etc. None of this stuff was regulated in the 70's and 80's.

Totally agree and it's not just the prospect of death it's also brain injury. I don't want to go into details but a friend is currently suffering from concussion syndrome and she's not really been back fully functioning in over a year.

Guys I know can't remember stuff after concussions, they cite changes in their personality, memory issues, dark moods, anger etc. None of this stuff was regulated in the 70's and 80's.

Awful. Remember the accident Richard Hammond, the TV presenter, had? Everyone tries to pretend he's back to normal but he's not.

He jokingly admits to liking celery now which he didn't before, but I've read an interview where he admits that he has the short concentration span and lack of patience that are often seen in people who've survived a brain injury.

If that's his only problem, which I don't believe for minute, he's lucky. You don't recover completely from a catastrophe like that.

My wifes eldest lives in Bristol and they watched the cheese rolling a few years ago. She said that only when you are there and actually see it for real do you realise how insanely steep that is. No wonder people really injure themselves.

'World's Most Haunted Island' Where Plague Victims Were Sent

Poveglia Island, which sits off the coast of Venice and Lido in Italy, has been nicknamed the 'Island of Ghosts' because of its grisly past, having once been used as a quarantine station for people with the plague.

resize

According to legend, people were dragged kicking and screaming onto the small, 18-acre island - even if they showed only the slightest symptoms of the Black Death.

The land was also used as a mass burial ground, where 160,000 people are believed to have been burned to stop the disease spreading.

British urban explorers Matt Nadin, 40, and Andy Thompson, 54, were brave enough to check the island out recently, saying it was an experience they 'won't forget in a hurry'.

resize

[The post] shows the pair - who regularly explore abandoned and historic places together - discovering rotting buildings and huge mass burial grounds, unearthing strange items like old beds and baths... and large containers that look like they may have been used to burn bodies.

resize

Even to this day, human ash from the cremations are said to make up more than 50 percent of the island's soil.

Matt continued: "The island has never really been cleared properly or anything so everything has just been left.

resize

"Later on, when it was turned into an asylum, because people were shoved there out of the way of prying eyes, they started to do experiments on them, horrible, horrible stuff.”

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-...ted-island-where-plague-victims-went-20201026

maximus otter

Yup, he was about 10. At the bottom he stood straight up and started wailing in that irritating way that younger brothers do when they see an opportunity to drop a sibling in it.

I hope you pinched him really hard. Younger siblings were made for pinching and horse bites. (And nipple twisting...but only for male siblings)

We walk our dogs along the disused Witham to Maldon rail line. This old structure, which is a skeleton of its former self is, I presume, some sort of old messing hut or similar for the rail workers. The local youth tend to use it as a drinking shack these days. They make a little fire when the weather is chilly and sit there drinking beer. Keeps them out of any malicious behaviour!

F243E497-C8AE-40AB-A47C-29021F2A187E.jpeg

These two urban explorers have some amazing finds. They are students from the Netherlands. They speak English quite well although, some of their words are mispronounced. This last find is incredible....

This place has been sitting empty for at least 30 years. It's a farm house with surrounding buildings most everything left behind, somewhere in the UK.

Okay you guys have got to trust me and explore this mans channel. lol

I just watched this one below and I was so impressed that I subscribed to his channel. Same guy that did the video I just posted above.

I've always wanted to visit Poveglia Island. We've never been to Venice yet mind.
Me too - ever since I saw a brief documentary on it. I've always had a yearning to explore abandoned and overgrown places.

Back