• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

If houses can be mummified, I think that is an excellent example of one.

I have no doubt whatsoever that it's haunted, too.

If houses can be mummified, I think that is an excellent example of one.

I have no doubt whatsoever that it's haunted, too.
It died. :/
Doesn't really look fix upable, unfortunately. But it's definitely one of the models for my dream house. When it's built, you're all invited to my first Halloween party.
Yeah I heard it collapsed. :/ But I don't have any hard data.
https://abandonedplaygrounds.com/20...bohm-the-abandoned-eccentric-house-of-brecht/
One of the comments here says "It got torn down". And a similar one is in the YT vid comments. But I don't have any firm data.

But I did find THIS:
Sooo prettty..... I can see why someone built it that way.

I really wanna know what the floor plan was, but... apparently it's gone now. :/
I think I count five floors above ground and one under?

https://abandonedplaygrounds.com/20...bohm-the-abandoned-eccentric-house-of-brecht/
One of the comments here says "It got torn down". And a similar one is in the YT vid comments. But I don't have any firm data.

But I did find THIS:

I really wanna know what the floor plan was, but... apparently it's gone now. :/
It was still mad looking when it was new.

But I did find THIS:

l like character in a gaff, but that’s too much.

Half of art is knowing when to stop.”

maximus otter

Chateau-Nottenbohm-Fortean.jpg

:glum:

maximus otter

Chateau-Nottenbohm-Fortean.jpg

:glum:

maximus otter
So the lake dried up then .. or it was drained (a bit like the lake in the film Dirty Dancing. That's all scrub land now so fans can't recreate the Patrick Swayze chic flic lift shot anymore). Sorry to break your heart Max.

My favorite such pile (as the owner might describe someone else's wild concoction) is the Mark Twain house in Hartford, Connecticut. I've toured it twice, and it's a marvel of architectural exuberance. One commenter at the time it was built described it as looking like a river boat collided with a cuckoo clock.

Mark-Twain-House-in-Connecticut.jpg

It's a bit modest by castle standards, but quite the eyeful in person. Here's a good article about it, from which I lifted the above image.

https://housecrazysarah.life/the-mark-twain-house-in-connecticut/

My favorite such pile (as the owner might describe someone else's wild concoction) is the Mark Twain house in Hartford, Connecticut. I've toured it twice, and it's a marvel of architectural exuberance. One commenter at the time it was built described it as looking like a river boat collided with a cuckoo clock.

View attachment 46546
It's a bit modest by castle standards, but quite the eyeful in person. Here's a good article about it, from which I lifted the above image.

https://housecrazysarah.life/the-mark-twain-house-in-connecticut/
I do see some similarities to Nottebohm, but more to the Elkelenberg place. Both are more long than tall and have a wide porch.

One from 'Adam Mark Explores' on YouTube -

THE SLAUGHTER HOUSE UNTOUCHED FOR 20 YEARS - ABANDONED HOUSE FROZEN IN TIME

Today we venture into the yorkshire dales to take a look back in time at this beautiful abandoned house frozen in time, this is one of the most beautiful abandoned places ive seen to date hope you enjoy

Reminds me of a house I've been helping deal with.

Excellent description :hahazebs:

... and although neither ruined or abandoned, these places remind me of the bonkers Portmeirion used for the 60's show The Prisoner.
As you'll know, it's open to the public. I took my kids there years ago. There was some darned impressive Welsh drizzle for the whole time which we were told is typical.
Dunno how the filming crews worked around that. :thought:

If I go again I'll look up the locations and have myself photographed looking enigmatic rather than wet through. :wink2:

(We were staying near the dangerous Black Rock Sands beach where the Manic Street Preachers had their photo taken, and where I once nearly drowned us all when I didn't notice the tide sneak up behind us. :omg: )

As you'll know, it's open to the public. I took my kids there years ago. There was some darned impressive Welsh drizzle for the whole time which we were told is typical.

If I go again I'll look up the locations and have myself photographed looking enigmatic rather than wet through. :wink2:

(We were staying near the dangerous Black Rock Sands beach where the Manic Street Preachers had their photo taken, and where I once nearly drowned us all when I didn't notice the tide sneak up behind us. :omg: )
I've never been there but my parents stayed in the town/village itself for a couples of nights in no less than the flat used as No 6's flat in the show (so my Dad could get his fan boy geek on) .. that would be the equivalent of me spending the Night at the Evil Dead cabin (if it hadn't burned down long ago).

Abandoned Spanish village reappears after 30 years underwater

In 1992, dozens of families living in Aceredo, near Lobois, were forced to abandon their homes to make way for a reservoir.

Since then, Aceredo has been hidden underwater, only reappearing when the Lindoso reservoir falls to very low levels – and one of those rare occasions is now.
Photographs taken on Monday show a partially persevered, but ghostly Aceredo.

The village’s stone structures have survived, but many of the buildings’ roofs have collapsed.

Mud has filled doorways and anything metal has rusted in the three decades it has spent underwater.
1637797980642.png

Black rock sands ... illegal drag races (no, not that sort of drag) Late night parties - all stopped now, they keep a close eye on the place.

We went there a lot as kids. It was one of my mum and dads favourite places. My first camping holiday as a kid was at Black Rock Sands as well.

I’ve been to Portmerion as an adult a number of times to.

The bizarre thing though is I’ve yet to be rained on there. Even if it’s been raining on the way, it’s been beautiful blue sky once I’ve got there.

Fancy top bits in the Victorian houses, turrets and bays and such, were showy spaces for the owners, but the narrower garrety with weird roofs places were for pretty austere servants quarters. Because wealthy Vics had servants. Here's a space in NYC.
NY servant.jpg

And better than being homeless.
Room and board and a little money (with more freedom of movement than is allowed in a jail), are better than no shelter, no food, no money.

Fancy top bits in the Victorian houses, turrets and bays and such, were showy spaces for the owners, but the narrower garrety with weird roofs places were for pretty austere servants quarters. Because wealthy Vics had servants. Here's a space in NYC.View attachment 48629

l’ve just glanced at apartments.com, and the cheapest flat for rent in NYC is $1,139 per month. (The exterior of its building looks like a set from a Tim Burton Batman film.)

l’m confident that there are hundreds of young professionals in NY who’d napalm an orphanage to have the space you’ve depicted.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Back