• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

A mate bought a shop and the flat up stairs was used as a brothel,
2 things stick in my mind, the number of men that sneaked up the
back stairs and did a runner as soon as they saw us working on
the flat, and the shape of the bed picked out in talcum powder
they must have used it by the hundred weight.
:omr:

Inside abandoned brothel with ‘naughty boys room’ as sauna left to ruin after being closed for years
Heh heh... I used to 'work' there. Not in the brothel, but in the spring factory (Tempered Springs) next door. The factory was physically joined to that building, which is on the corner of the road. When I worked there, in 1977, that 'brothel' was a working pub (the Norfolk Arms), with a barmaid who looked just like Bet Lynch. On a 12 hour night shift, we'd make springs for a couple of hours, then pile next door for a quick drink before returning to work to finish our quota.
A few years later the factory closed (not surprisingly), and was demolished; leaving the pub behind. Eventually it became a sauna and brothel, but I had moved away many years before.

Last edited:
Here's the Norfolk Arms in about 1985, after the Tempered Springs factory had been demolished. The factory filled the empty space between the pub and the distant blue building; we made steel springs for cars and tractors. This is before the Norfolk Arms became a 'sauna'.
t07179.jpg

image courtesy www.picturesheffield.com

hmm makes me wonder if the state of disrepair is because the people operating out of the building made a choice: fix up the current place or relocate to a better one.

Inside abandoned brothel with ‘naughty boys room’ as sauna left to ruin after being closed for years

Urban explorers have snuck into The Old City Sauna, Sheffield, which featured in the ITV documentary A Very Yorkshire Brothel.

red-fright-district-inside-abandoned-777650184.jpg

The building, which first opened as a bar more than two centuries ago, was left to rot after the venue moved further down the road back in 2018.

914477cb-2005-41dc-8f9e-417c9f2284d1.jpg

The floor is littered in pregnancy tests and rat droppings

Shocking photos show the condition the grotty brothel was abandoned in - including what's labelled the "Naughty Boys’ Room".

red-fright-district-inside-abandoned-777650183.jpg

Explorers Lost & Forgotten Faces posted the sickening snaps to Facebook.

They wrote: “I quickly got an idea of what went on here, with old condoms in the showers and stained mattresses.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20517994/inside-abandoned-brothel-with-naughty-boys-room/

maximus otter
I felt funny clicking the like button for this one, but I wanted to acknowledge that I had read your post and there aren't many options to choose from. lol

hmm makes me wonder if the state of disrepair is because the people operating out of the building made a choice: fix up the current place or relocate to a better one.
Perhaps, but a search on Google Earth suggests they have moved into smaller premises further along Attercliffe Road.

The pregnancy tests on the floor is a weird one for the Yorkshire brothel, a plant maybe? Condom use is pretty much mandatory in these better run places which are allowed by the council....( Maybe not so much on the trafficked/forced type places ) Which that place most certainly was, I remember it been on the TV , the sort of place A local lass whose a FOAF was on it.

Inside 'creepy' abandoned millionaire's mansion 'frozen in time' after property tycoon owner disappeared overnight

A PHOTOGRAPHER has shared new pictures inside an abandoned millionaire's mansion, left to rot after its property tycoon owner disappeared overnight.

The state of the once-grand eight-bedroom manor house near Kings Langley in Hertfordshire was first reported on back in 2020 after creepy pictures captured its faded glory.

2018-shortly-ransacked-burgled-many-778050426.jpg

The abandoned mansion was owned by a Greek property tycoon, Athanasios Tachmintzis.

His brother-in-law Gordon Meiklejohn said Mr Tachmintzis led such a mysterious life that he wasn't sure what he did for work – despite seeing wads of cash at his lavish home.

2018-shortly-ransacked-burgled-many-778050493.jpg

Tachmintzis, 72, reportedly enjoyed a millionaire’s lifestyle from his "property" investments which meant they never saw him going out to work, his family claimed.

Now, a photographer has taken new pictures showing the further sad decline of the house, which would once have been a dream mansion.

2018-shortly-ransacked-burgled-many-778050403.jpg

2018-shortly-ransacked-burgled-many-778050499.jpg

A black cocktail dress hangs creepily in a door frame

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20543072/inside-creepy-abandoned-millionaires-mansion-hertfordshire/

maximus otter

Odd. His family who were living with him didn't stay?

Looks like a BSA 444 Victor.
Could be. I thought a B25. Mine was a year or two newer, a B25SS. Loved that bike, wish I still had it. It or something like it would be suitable to my advanced age - I think my days of riding 1000cc+ monsters are over.

The pregnancy tests on the floor is a weird one for the Yorkshire brothel, a plant maybe? Condom use is pretty much mandatory in these better run places which are allowed by the council....( Maybe not so much on the trafficked/forced type places ) Which that place most certainly was, I remember it been on the TV , the sort of place A local lass whose a FOAF was on it.

I thought the pregnancy tests seemed like an odd detail too.

I’ve always had a fascination with abandoned properties and regularly sit enthralled watching urban explorer videos and looking at their photographs. I think my interest started as a child when I’d go walking with my parents on the Cromford Canal, near Matlock, Derbyshire. I would always excitedly run to the crumbling down old lock-keeper’s cottage there to take a peek inside, imagining all the life those walls had seen. Years later I found out Aquaduct Cottage had an interesting history. It was a built in 1802 by Florence Nightingale’s great-uncle, Peter Nightingale. Florence is said to have visited the cottage during her time at Lea Hurst as she was friends with the family who lived there at the time.

3D0E9122-A456-4750-AF45-E109038B9109.jpeg

The cottage was abandoned in the early 1970s, the last resident (pictured above going off to fetch drinking water from a local spring) most likely leaving as he aged and found having no services too much of a struggle. It stood empty for decades, derelict, and with nature slowly reclaiming it. I’d still pay the odd visit to it when walking on the canal as an adult and thought how sad it was that there would soon be nothing left of the little cottage I’d always found so enchanting.

6673D0ED-950C-4F00-BC92-0FEE92D77D3A.jpeg

However a few decades on and this building was to have a happy ending! I was so pleased to find out the new owners, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, wanted to try and save the cottage. Donations from the public went towards funding the restoration work and with the help of local volunteers, it has very recently been completed. The building is now an information centre telling the history of the cottage and the surrounding area, and there are plans to rent out the upstairs rooms to community groups and the Trust. If only more buildings I’ve seen in ruinous states could be so lovingly restored.

That's a good restoration, Mooka. And glad to see it done.

Recently visited an abandoned cottage; listed too...its been stabilised but doesn't seem much hope.

What is a new thatched roof these days? 50 grand??

That's a good restoration, Mooka. And glad to see it done.

Recently visited an abandoned cottage; listed too...its been stabilised but doesn't seem much hope.

What is a new thatched roof these days? 50 grand??
Don't ever buy a thatched cottage unless you have deep pockets.

They built a new housing estate a few miles from here maybe 20 years ago,
I found it suppressing that some of the houses had thatched roofs, but they
didn't last long and now I think all have tile roofs.

People take on 'the look' but don't do their research and accept it.
If I were offered a thatched property - as unlikely as Musk/Besos inviting me to their empire on the moon - I'd question the aforementioned insurance and maintenance contracts. Romantic etc. as it may be but it's a commitment.

Thatched roofs do look beautiful but you’re right people don’t tend to think about what is involved regards cost and maintenance. My grandad grew up in a thatched cottage and I remember my mum putting me off them as a child telling me about all the pests which lived in the thatch (I think it was the mention of insects and spiders more than anything). Apparently there was lots of excitement when my great-grandparents were treating themselves to a new tiled roof, they couldn’t wait to get rid of the thatch.
Walking the dogs the other day there were a couple of men re-thatching a couple of church gateways, a bet just for this small bit of thatching it was a pretty penny!

Thatched roofs do look beautiful but you’re right people don’t tend to think about what is involved regards cost and maintenance. My grandad grew up in a thatched cottage and I remember my mum putting me off them as a child telling me about all the pests which lived in the thatch (I think it was the mention of insects and spiders more than anything). Apparently there was lots of excitement when my great-grandparents were treating themselves to a new tiled roof, they couldn’t wait to get rid of the thatch.
Walking the dogs the other day there were a couple of men re-thatching a couple of church gateways, a bet just for this small bit of thatching it was a pretty penny!
old-style Spanish terracotta tiles can last CENTURIES. Some of the ones they put on the roofs of the old manors are still in use.

old-style Spanish terracotta tiles can last CENTURIES. Some of the ones they put on the roofs of the old manors are still in use.
Yes and blue slate as well.
I am most annoyed however, to find out that nowadays they don't 'hang' slates when fixing one that has come loose - ie the nail(s) have come out- they just silicone/mastic it in place. The old tried and tested way is to hang them with copper wire (or lead in the old days) and when done properly they'll last for years. Silicone seems to be the answer for everything in building these days. It does have its place of course, but a lot of skills are being lost, not to mention poorer quality craftsmanship.

Back