• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned House

A

Anonymous

(I'm new, by the way.)

This takes place about 15 years ago.

There's an abandoned house in the center of a very large forest, in the back of a nursing home near me. It was built in about 1750, so I hear, and used to be a schoolhouse that ended up burning down eventually. The story goes that nobody lived, either; and that's why few people ever visit it.

A friend and I decided to visit this house because we'd seen it numerous times and were curious about the inside. It was maybe around 11:00 at night.

Upon entering, Mary (my friend) said she was hot, like she had "stepped on the sun." I thought she was just trying to scare me, until I flicked on the flashlight and noticed she was sweating. I was getting nervous, but then she said "It's okay. Let's keep going. I'm wearing a heavy sweater and thick pants and this is a small room. That's probably the case."

We went up the stairs (I'm surprised they didn't break, they were in horrible shape) when she spotted something. It was a piece of paper, half of it had burned off, but the half that still existed read: "Sarah". The ink was a bit runny but it was still somewhat legible. My belief and Mary's belief was that this "Sarah" was a student at this school before it burned down.

We eventually ended up finding a bunch of other things: Pieces of chairs, more paper (writing was illegible except for a large "A" in the middle), pieces of wood that looked to be parts of desks (I think), etc.

Suddenly we began to hear footsteps. Maybe someone else was brave enough to come see the inside? We walked cautiously down the stairs but... nothing was there. "Weird." I said.
Mary began walking back up the stairs to collect the things we'd found when she tumbled down the stairs, and landed on her shoulder, in a pile of wood that ended up seriously injuring her (she needed fifteen stitches later.)

"She pushed me!" I managed to hear her say even though she was crying so much.
"Who pushed you?" I asked. I was confused.
"That girl!"
"Who?!"

Puzzled, I walked back up the stairs but nothing was there.
Suddenly, I heard someone talking. I knew it couldn't be Mary, she was too busy crying. It was the voice of a child, definitely. I couldn't comprehend what was going on. There was a small opening in the wall behind me, so I turned around to see what was going on outside, if anyone was out there.

What I saw...really scared me.

There were girls in white...these girls in long white dresses with braids walking away from the building. They all looked nearly identical and nearly inhuman.

In terror, I ran down the stairs, grabbed Mary despite the fact she was in severe pain, and ran home as fast as I could.

The next time I saw her, she had 15 stitches in her shoulder.
"I meant to ask you." I said. "Who did you say pushed you?"
She looked down.
"This girl in a white dress...I don't know who she was, or where she came from."
It would be an understatement to say I had the largest goosebumps ever. I thought I was just imagining those girls.

Does anybody have an idea of what happened that night? Was somebody just playing a joke on us, or were they the spirits of the children who died in the fire over 100 years ago? To this day, it still haunts me. If it WAS someone playing a joke, they did a REALLY nice job making themselves look almost transparent...

I get the chills thinking about it. (This isn't the only paranormal experience I've had, and it's the one that frightens me most.)

Darn it, I was just about to go upstairs to bed. Now I'm not sure I can. I would say ghosts, but I don't really know. I like to believe in stuff like that. I don't understand though. Did you say that the house burnt down?

Rinoa said:
(I'm new, by the way.)There's an abandoned house in the center of a very large forest, in the back of a nursing home near me. It was built in about 1750, so I hear, and used to be a schoolhouse that ended up burning down eventually. The story goes that nobody lived, either; and that's why few people ever visit it.

Welcome, Rinoa! Would love to hear more of your stories, although this one has me sufficiently frightened in the meantime. Does your friend Mary have a history of being sensitive to this sort of phenomena?

this is very interesting, how about popping back there with a camera?

(Yes -- the house burnt down but it still had the shape and form of a house. The inside was completely scorched though.)

And yes -- Mary is sensitive to paranormal events. She's been through them her entire life, as she's lived in a house that was built over a 1500's graveyard in the 1850's. :) It's a really nice house, actually, but there's a feeling of intense sadness when you enter certain rooms (or maybe it's just me?)

Great story, think I'll sleep with the light on tonight. Slight echos of Blair Witch I thought.

Think Dishwashers idea of going back with a camera is a good one. But mind you, not sure if I would set food back in that place!!:eek:

Originally posted by Rinoa

we'd seen it numerous times and were curious about the inside. It was maybe around 11:00 at night.

QUOTE]

Yeah, normally when I want to visit a scary haunted house I wait till it's the middle of the night as well. :confused:
Seriously, why didn't you visit during the day?

Re: Re: Abandoned House...

DemonOfTheFall said:
Yeah, normally when I want to visit a scary haunted house I wait till it's the middle of the night as well. :confused:
Seriously, why didn't you visit during the day?

seems fairly clear to me - why would you go look around a scary house? to be scared. when is it going to be most scary? late at night!

sounds like rinoa and friend got a little more than they bargained for. :)

Yeah, I'd have visited the house during the day, at least at first, if I'd been going to look at something like that (sadly nothing like that here that I know of :( ), and I'd go with at least a couple of other people, if only because the larger the crowd, the safer I feel (to a point, then you begin to feel alone again if there's too many). After a few day visits I might have gone at night, although I'm still not sure (I've certainly been with friends in forests at night, and been scared enough by things like red glowing eyes to cycle out as fast as our legs would turn the pedals!), there's the old kirk here I wouldn't visit at night even though it has no specific stories attached, it's a ruined church and has a graveyard which goes down to a short (but sudden) drop to a costal path, then it's the shore. Graveyards, ruined churches and the sea at night are all spooky in my book, so even though it's close to some houses, it has no nearby streetlamps or anything so is quite high on my "scare-o-meter" :)

A friend and I went to look around an abandoned Asylum a few years ago. We went at night too. There's just no adventure in going in the daytime!

Feyri said:
A friend and I went to look around an abandoned Asylum a few years ago. We went at night too. There's just no adventure in going in the daytime!

And did you find anything interesting? Think I've developed a fascination with abandoned places over the last few years..

Ok, I'm going to risk offending people by posting what I have wanted to say to this thread since it came up about a week ago . . . but, am I the only person who thinks this story seems a tad, how shall I say?

Implausible?

Take a bit of it as an example:

"Suddenly we began to hear footsteps. Maybe someone else was brave enough to come see the inside? We walked cautiously down the stairs but... nothing was there. "Weird." I said.
Mary began walking back up the stairs to collect the things we'd found when she tumbled down the stairs, and landed on her shoulder, in a pile of wood that ended up seriously injuring her (she needed fifteen stitches later.)

"She pushed me!" I managed to hear her say even though she was crying so much.
"Who pushed you?" I asked. I was confused.
"That girl!"
"Who?!"

Puzzled, I walked back up the stairs but nothing was there.
Suddenly, I heard someone talking. I knew it couldn't be Mary, she was too busy crying. It was the voice of a child, definitely. I couldn't comprehend what was going on. There was a small opening in the wall behind me, so I turned around to see what was going on outside, if anyone was out there.

What I saw...really scared me.

There were girls in white...these girls in long white dresses with braids walking away from the building. They all looked nearly identical and nearly inhuman."

I just think if i was in a house in the middle of the woods in the middle of the night I think I might be more likely than other times to already think the paranormal were around, especially if that's what we were sort of looking for.

so the notion of the writer asking "Who?" to the statement of being pushed seems odd. Or that they went to investigate footsteps downstairs in an abandoned house in the middle if the night. it just doesnt smack of reality to me.

just my opinion though, and it was a frightening stroy at any rate.

I was twelve years old at the time and I didn't really believe in that stuff at that age. We visited the house just to check it out and see what it looked like inside, not to investigate the paranormal.

The footsteps just confused us, as in "Is somebody else here? What the hell?!" so I went to see if anybody else was there, perhaps for the same reason we were there.

Don't worry; I'm not offended. It's your opinion and I won't force you to believe something you don't believe in.
That's like telling an Atheist, "Believe in God."

Sorry I didn't realize you were 12 when it happened . . . I was picturing a 18 or 19 year old, that would make a difference.

-Fitz

realspooky said:
And did you find anything interesting? Think I've developed a fascination with abandoned places over the last few years..

Actually, after spending three hours tramping through muddy cow-filled fields looking for the place, it creeped me out too much to stay long enough for much more than a cursory glance really. It just had a really bad atmosphere, so we legged it.

:blush:

I sort of wish I could back now and try again, but I don't leave anywhere near there any more.

Feyri said:
Actually, after spending three hours tramping through muddy cow-filled fields looking for the place, it creeped me out too much to stay long enough for much more than a cursory glance really. It just had a really bad atmosphere, so we legged it.

:blush:

I sort of wish I could back now and try again, but I don't leave anywhere near there any more.

I can understand why you legged it. When I was young, there used to be a building site around the back of my best friends house. This large amount of land was originally owned by a doctor, but when he passed away the land was simply abandoned and left to rot, so to speak.
Anyways, the land consisted of a derelict house, complete with lawn, several summer houses, a tree house, several sheds (with many interesting items in, I can assure you) and a weird rock garden.
When I was first introduced to this place, the plot had been vacant for around a year. I remember the house had been given a going over by looters, but was still in fairly good condition. The thing that used to spook me was the whole 'vanished without a trace' thing. I was just like it had been left, and you could imagine happy summer days on the mass of land that sat in front of the giant and spacious property. It wasnt the fact that the owner 'may' have died there (we werent sure on that one and still arent), it was the eariness of the place. The amount of memories it held for other people. There was even a train set left in the house, along with chairs, tables etc. You could almost live with that family in your imagination when you were there.

Anyway, sorry for rambling but they were the happy days, long gone. The main link to this thread is that there was once a tramp living in the attic of this house. Just like Rinoa, we set out at night to explore (we were aswell, around 12). We heard shuffling, banging etc, and panicked we left. I turned around at the last moment just to see this bloke drop out the loft and into our torch light.
No ghosts, just someone trying to lay their head. Maybe this could be linked to Rinoa's story?

But just like Feyri, it's the loneliness and the memories that abandoned places hold that fascinate me. An insight into something that has been lost. Many lives has passed through these places, many emotions.

Right, sorry for it being so long.

RS

Don't worry about it, Fitz.

I agree, being older would have made a difference. :p

No adventure in the day time?

Feyri said:
There's just no adventure in going in the daytime!

I'm not so sure about that. Here is a link to a great scary story that I read first a year or so ago. It was so spooky that it made it's way into the "spookiest tales of all" section for this years Halloween selection. These tales are supposed to be true tales...either way, it scared the bejesus out of me. It has since become my favorite creepy story and if you haven't already guessed, it takes place during the daytime. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/stories02/voiceinthe.html

~Kim~:eek!!!!:

That is pretty creepy, thanks for providing a link to it ;) I can't help but wonder what it was though, it seems a shame they couldn't ask the grandfather since he clearly knew *something* was there...and I think if I'd been in the position of the "thing" coming towards the attic entrance I'd have plotted my escape of the house, but then waited to see if I could just get a glimpse of whatever it was at the top before running, although it'd be quite hard to stay and do so :)

Feyri said:
It just had a really bad atmosphere, so we legged it.
there's a ruined (and haunted) nunnery near me which occasionally has that effect on me - I have been there fairly often but once or twice there's been an unbearable heavy atmosphere which made me acutely need to get the hell out.

Re: No adventure in the day time?

Originally posted by blakta2

I'm not so sure about that. Here is a link to a great scary story that I read first a year or so ago. It was so spooky that it made it's way into the "spookiest tales of all" section for this years Halloween selection. These tales are supposed to be true tales...either way, it scared the bejesus out of me. It has since become my favorite creepy story and if you haven't already guessed, it takes place during the daytime. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Hmm I read the story and although it is quite eerie in parts, the last bit (the 'laugh') was just too "Hammer Horror" for me to believe the story was true.

Re; Hammer Horror

lol...Feyri , the laugh could be considered a bit over the edge...but I have to say that even if the story has no truth whatsoever to it, that it did make the hair on my neck stand up the first, second, third and fourth times I read it and as a lover of all things spooky, that's all that matters to me.

~Kim~

Two 12 year olds walk into an abandoned house at 11 at night, get a warning as they go through the door, but continue anyway, find a scrap of paper that has managed to survive 100 years, and then get pushed by a spook!

Sounds like the script for a B rate movie.

Didn't your parents care where you were at that time of night?

I find it very unlikely that anyone died when the school burned down! Have you tried checking local records?

Re: No adventure in the day time?

blakta2 said:
Feyri said:

~Kim~:eek!!!!:

Whooah, I wont be sleeping for the next few weeks then. Would agree that the end seems a little set on, but damn spooky never the less.

Love the story but heres what gets me: Why, why, why is it always "this place in the middle of the forest?!" PLEASE give an exact location so other people can check it out. C'mon people, quit hogging all the adventure/share sometimes. Sorry about the rant-I've always been interested in this kind of stuff, but never had any kind of experience myself.

Back