• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned House

location location location

Axe2Grind said:
Love the story but heres what gets me: Why, why, why is it always "this place in the middle of the forest?!" PLEASE give an exact location so other people can check it out. C'mon people, quit hogging all the adventure/share sometimes. Sorry about the rant-I've always been interested in this kind of stuff, but never had any kind of experience myself.

OK, after a couple of hours trying to force memories and much googling, I can reveal that the place I legged it from was called High Carley Sanatorium and is located near Ulverston in Cumbria (UK). Unfortunately I have no pictures of this place and actually don't know if it is even there anymore. When I went, it was totally deserted but there was a door near the front that was not locked or anything, so access could be easily gained.

Thanks for the info. I live in the US so I won't be making the trip anytime soon, but someone else may have an easier time of it. Hope they do and post back their experience for the rest of us!

Ok, I have to confess that after everyone else's comments, I was half-afraid to read the story on the Castle of Spirits link but I did. And I kept dreading the part about the scream but I finished the story and I have to say, it wasn't as creepy as everyone made it out to be. Maybe because I kept thinking throughout the whole thing was how well written it was, that the guy did imagery well. I guess deep in my mind, I thought it was fiction (even though it's not supposed to be) and I guess that's why it didn't creep me out. I've read lots of other stuff here on IHTM that gave me shivers a LOT more than this story did. In fact, I'd say I gave myself the shivers in anitcipation, due to what the other readers had said.

After reading all this just now(including the story from that link which resulted in major goosebumps despite the theatricality of it), I glanced over at my desk where a photograph I had taken of an abandoned old house was sitting, propped up against a box for me to see quite clearly. I don't exactly remember putting it there, so it was completely unexpected. You can imagine the effect this has on an overactive imagination.

I can understand why you legged it. When I was young, there used to be a building site around the back of my best friends house. This large amount of land was originally owned by a doctor, but when he passed away the land was simply abandoned and left to rot, so to speak.
Anyways, the land consisted of a derelict house, complete with lawn, several summer houses, a tree house, several sheds (with many interesting items in, I can assure you) and a weird rock garden.
When I was first introduced to this place, the plot had been vacant for around a year. I remember the house had been given a going over by looters, but was still in fairly good condition. The thing that used to spook me was the whole 'vanished without a trace' thing. I was just like it had been left, and you could imagine happy summer days on the mass of land that sat in front of the giant and spacious property. It wasnt the fact that the owner 'may' have died there (we werent sure on that one and still arent), it was the eariness of the place. The amount of memories it held for other people. There was even a train set left in the house, along with chairs, tables etc. You could almost live with that family in your imagination when you were there.

Anyway, sorry for rambling but they were the happy days, long gone. The main link to this thread is that there was once a tramp living in the attic of this house. Just like Rinoa, we set out at night to explore (we were aswell, around 12). We heard shuffling, banging etc, and panicked we left. I turned around at the last moment just to see this bloke drop out the loft and into our torch light.
No ghosts, just someone trying to lay their head. Maybe this could be linked to Rinoa's story?

But just like Feyri, it's the loneliness and the memories that abandoned places hold that fascinate me. An insight into something that has been lost. Many lives has passed through these places, many emotions.

Right, sorry for it being so long.

RS

Doubtful that you're still an active member but I would love to know where this is and if it still exists (even in redeveloped form).

As for the story, I also don't understand how a pair of young girls were allowed to go out to a burned-out building by themselves at night, but it was a great story nevertheless.

As for the story, I also don't understand how a pair of young girls were allowed to go out to a burned-out building by themselves at night, but it was a great story nevertheless.
I once briefly met a young woman who had grown up in the country. Her room was on the ground floor. She used to sneak out of her bedroom window at night to meet my friend, so girls can indeed get out on their own without adult permission! :curt:

I wonder who owns it or if anyone can claim that house ?
Unfortunately not, the title will still be held by a person or entity (not the type of entity often discussed in here mind)

My guess it's a developer, although probate cases can drag on, someone would be maintaining it just to keep its value

Here's the building. It's a mortar building and it's not in the forest.

1592317482242.png

Somebody needs to plant some trees there!

Back