• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abducted: The True Story Of Alien Abduction

disgruntledgoth

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I found a book in a charity shop for 50 pence called Abducted: the true story of alien abduction. It's about an English family who discover that their one son was being repeatedly abducted and through the course of events the mother, Ann, realises that she was also an abductee. A lot of the events happen at their farm, such as animal mutilations and the classic MIB watching them. I was just wondering if any one here has read the book and what your opinions of it are.

gncxx said:
Who wrote it?
And when? And where?

We need the context!

Too many vague stories of alien abductions. Only the detail gives it teeth.
I'd be more interested in something that happened a few miles from where I once lived than something a hemisphere away, no matter how dramatic.

IIRC, in an article in the FT about 5 years ago Peter Brookesmith mentioned an abduction case in England, multiple and apparently sustained, details of which were just emerging although they had apparently happened a while back. Wonder if this was it?

It was one of Brookesmith's longer pieces for the mag (wish I still had my bleedin' back issues :(..)

The book with more reviews (largely positive):

Abducted: True Story of Alien Abduction
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/07472 ... ntmagaz-21

dg: Question is - what do you make of the book?

I can see McClure's angle on this as he has clearly be invovled with investigating the case but it also looks to throw light on the way abduction narratives are built in a similar way to the recent review points out The Black Triangle Abduction does;

www.forteantimes.com/review/blacktriangle.shtml

I suspect you did the best thing buying it second hand - the whole thing makes me uncomfortable and you'd not wanting anyone to profit from this situation.

I think... that I don't know whether anyone has ever been abducted by aliens or not. And I don't think anyone else knows, either.

I don't know if every form of publishing that involves money changing hands should automatically be considered suspect. If it should, we really aren't left with much.

Of course, I suspect that much of what we read requires context.

--------------------
"We needn't publish his name in a magazine as popular as FT. Children deserve respect and privacy, and a chance to deal quietly with their troubles."
-- Kevin McClure
FT 107
February 1998
--------------------
"You're probably aware of the 4-day serialisation in the SUN of the supposed 14-year old abductee, Jason Andrews."
-- Kevin McClure
Magonia/AbductionWatch 8
March 1998
--------------------

The shelf-life of Magonian respect for children's privacy, about a month.

IMHO alarm bells should start ringing as soon as regressive hypnosis become part of the equation.

Jerry_B said:
IMHO alarm bells should start ringing as soon as regressive hypnosis become part of the equation.

Proposterous IMO.

Human_84 - did you mean what I said was preposterous, or that regressive hypnosis itself is preposterous?

Sorry I haven't been able to post for a bit, I realise I should have put this in first, the authors af the book are a reporter with no prior knowledge of abduction phenomena and the mother Ann Richards. The farm where all the strange happenings occur is called Hawksnest, it backs on to MoD land with thick woods in between. The farm is near a little town called Crouch near Kent and their home is a few miles away from the farm. The farm has been watched on numerous occasions by the archetypal men in black. The abductions started in the very late 80's and carried on through the mid 90's. Like any other story of this type, I remain sceptical on the events that happened because as we all know details can get distorted through time, which is why I thought that getting a reporter largely unfamiliar with the phenomena was a good idea but now I'm not sure because, an investigator who was familiar with abduction accounts might be able to spot "garnished" accounts better than someone who isn't familiar, and I became even more sceptical after finding out that Tony Dodd's accounts and the Richards's accounts clashed and that details such as the boy being taken out of school don't correlate with school records. Either way. it's an astonishingly true account of alien abduction or a gripping story largely false of alien abduction.

P.S. Sorry for the length of the post

I've read the book in question, it's a strange old tale and one that suggests (to me anyway) some sort of human mind-control/manipulation. It is worth a read if anyone stumbles across it. I found the part with the dead mice very unsettling (one of the witnesses found a number of dead mice laid out in a row with identical 'cattle mutilation' style injuries).

Human_84 - did you mean what I said was preposterous, or that regressive hypnosis itself is preposterous?

Sorry, I was out of town. 13 years late is still better than never, right? I suppose i meant that while hypnosis has it's issues, common claims like leading the witness are usually invalid.

Back