• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abe Lincoln: Spiritualist In The White House

MrRING

Android Futureman
I was at this interesting site:

http://www.spirithistory.com/war.html

And discovered that there was quite a bit of Spiritualism going on in the White House during the Civil War, which is different from what I thought... I was under the impression that Mary Todd Lincoln only got into spiritualism after Lincoln's death (perhaps created by historians who wanted to remove the taint of the paranormal from Lincoln's story). But apparently it was used against Lincoln during his election:
Spiritualism at the White House

Opponents of the Administration also took up the rumors of spiritualist influence in high places, but used it as evidence of Lincoln’s “fanaticism.”

Mr. Lincoln, with his aiders and abettors, has assumed great responsibilities in thus revolutionizing the government; but unlike our old fashioned presidents who were compelled to consult the Constitution, he has, in a secret hole of the White House, a rapping table, which discourses sweeter music than ever issued from Hamlet’s pipe. It is law, constitution and gospel; and the great magical power which gathers armies presages events, equalizes whites and negroes, and converts paper into gold. Washington, Jefferson and Jackson, Caesar, Hannibal, Napoleon, Wellington, and all the other great men of history, wake from their slumbers and protrude their counsels through it; direct the plans of battles, the windings of anacondas, the policy of proclamations, and the movements of armies; so that a new dispensation looms up around the present power, while laws and constitutions flee before the mystical light, as ragged relics of the vulgar past. Delphos had her oracles, Olympus her enchantments; but all now sink into insignificance before the superior powers of this wonderful table.

—David Quinn [“A Citizen of Ohio”], Interior Causes of the War: The Nation Demonised, and Its President a Spirit-Rapper (1863): 94-95. Quinn, a Chicago lawyer, despite appearances here, was a spiritualist, although he had little sympathy for the progressive causes, such as Abolitionism, that were often associated with spiritualism. After the War, he wrote and published the rather implausible Petition and Memorial of David Quinn, Asking for the Re-Establishment of Negro Slavery in the United States (1866).

Whether Lincoln was actually amenable to the notion of spirit guidance and premonitory dreams, or was simply humoring his bereaved wife (or protecting her from the mediums she insisted on consulting), or playing, with bemused or somewhat curious detachment, with the mediums who contacted him, was hotly debated among Lincoln’s supporters and detractors, and it remains contentious today, among those who still have a stake in making a judgment about Lincoln’s character.

Nettie Colburn wrote a book about her spiritualist influence on the Lincoln White House, conveniently online here:

http://www.harvestfields.ca/ebook/02/015/00.htm

Here is an account of her first reading for the President, from Chapter 8:
Mrs Lincoln received us graciously, and introduced us to a gentleman and lady present whose names I have forgotten. Mr. Lincoln was not then present. While all were conversing pleasantly on general subjects, Mrs. Miller (Mr. Laurie’s daughter) seated herself, under control, at the double grand piano at one side of the room, seemingly awaiting someone. Mrs. Lincoln was talking with us in a pleasant strain when suddenly Mrs. Miller’s hands fell upon the keys with a force that betokened a master hand, and the strains of a grand march filled the room. As the measured notes rose and fell we became silent. The heavy end of the piano began rising and falling in perfect time to the music. All at once it ceased and Mr. Lincoln stood upon the threshold of the room. (He afterwards informed us that the first notes of the music fell upon his ears as he reached the head of the grand staircase to descend, and that he kept step to the music until he reached the doorway).

Mr and Mrs. Laurie and Mrs. Miller were duly presented. Then I was led forward and presented. He stood before me, tall and kindly, with a smile on his face. Dropping his hand upon my head, he said, in a humorous tone, “ So this is our ‘little Nettie’ is it, that we have heard so much about?” I could only smile and say, “Yes, sir,” like any school girl; when he kindly led me to an ottoman. Sitting down in a chair, the ottoman at his feet, he began asking me questions in a kindly way about my mediumship; and I think he must have thought me stupid, as my answers were little beyond “Yes” and “No”. His manner, however, was genial and kind, and it was then suggested we form a circle. He said, “Well, how do you do it?” looking at me. Mr. Laurie came to the rescue, and said we had been accustomed to sit in a circle and join hands; but he did not think it would be necessary in this instance. While he was speaking, I lost all consciousness of my surroundings and passed under control.

For more that an hour I was made to talk to him, and I learned from my friends afterward that it was upon matters that he seemed to fully understand, while they comprehended very little until that portion was reached that related to the forthcoming Emancipation Proclamation. He was charged with the utmost solemnity and force of manner not to abate the terms of its issue, and not to delay its enforcement as a law beyond the opening of the year; and he was assured that it was to be the crowning event of his administration and life; and that while he was counselled by strong parties to defer enforcement of it, hoping to supplant it by other measures and to delay action, he must in no wise heed such counsel, but stand firm to his convictions and fearlessly perform the work and fulfil the mission for which he had been raised up by an overruling Providence. Those present declared that they lost sight of the timid girl in the majesty of the utterance, the strength and force of the language, and the importance of that which was conveyed, and seemed to realise that some strong masculine spirit force was giving speech to almost divine commands.

I shall never forget the scene around me when I regained consciousness. I was standing in front of Mr. Lincoln, and he was sitting back in his chair, with his arms folded upon his breast, looking intently at me. I stepped back, naturally confused at the situation – not remembering at once where I was; and glancing around the group, where perfect silence reigned. It took me a moment to remember my whereabouts.

A gentleman present then said in a low voice, “Mr. President, did you notice anything peculiar in the method of address?” Mr. Lincoln raised himself, as is shaking off his spell. He glanced quickly at the full length picture of Daniel Webster, that hung above the piano, and replied, “Yes, and it is very singular, very!” with a marked emphasis.

Mr. Somes said, “Mr. President, would it be improper for me to inquire whether there has been any pressure brought to bear upon you to defer the enforcement of the Proclamation?” To which the President replied: “Under these circumstances that question is perfectly proper, as we are all friends [smiling upon the company]. It is taking all my nerve and strength to withstand such a pressure.” At this point the gentlemen drew round him, and spoke together in low tones, Mr. Lincoln saying least of all. At last he turned to me, and laying his hand upon my head, uttered these words in a manner that I shall never forget: “My child, you posses a very singular gift; but that it is a gift from God, I have no doubt. I thank you for coming here tonight. It is more important than perhaps than anyone present can understand. I must leave you all now; but I hope I shall see you again.” He shook me kindly by the hand, bowed to the rest of the company, and was gone. We remained for an hour longer, talking with Mrs. Lincoln and her friends, then returned to Georgetown. Such was my first interview with Abraham Lincoln, and the memory of it is as clear and vivid as the evening on which it occurred.

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting it; I hope to follow those links later. I was dimly aware of Lincoln's association with spiritualism but the details are what matter. He was, of course, a great favourite of the spirit photographers, who may have been well aware of his own interest in survival after death. :)

Abraham Lincoln was almost certainly NOT a Spiritualist.

He seems to have been in all things spiritual or religious a sort of open-minded agnostic.

But Mary Todd Lincoln was infatuated with Spiritualism, and thus Abraham Lincoln permitted seances to be held in the White House. He preferred this to his wife traipsing off to other locations over which he had no control. He also sat in on many of the seances, to make certain that his wife might not be taken advantage of. I suspect that he was also concerned that what military secrets Mary knew might be wheedled out of her.

The President seems to have decided that some of the mediums were genuinely honest people. He throught a few of them might possess true mediumistic powers - either that or they were fooling themselves as much as their sitters, with no volitional dishonesty involved.

The President and his wife seem to have both become extremely fond of young Nettie Colburn.

Thanks for this fascinating topic.

IIRC, Mary Todd Lincoln began consulting with spiritualists after the death of their son, which may be what you were thinking of, MrRING.

It seems like the room where the seances were held in the White House was, appropriately enough, called The Red Room!

The Red Room was not usually part of the public rooms used during levees so furniture from the East Room and Blue Room was temporarily stored in the Red Room. It was also in the Red Room where spiritualists conducted a notable seance for Mrs. Lincoln. Most seances for Mary Lincoln were conducted outside the White at the homes of friends, but occasionally the mediums came to the Lincolns' home. Nettie Colburn Maynard reportedly conducted one such encounter with the spirit world in the Red Room. It could also be used for other kinds of informal entertainment ? such a presentation by humorist Stephen Masset in June 1864.

Interesting article about spiritualists in the White House shows that not only did Mary Todd Lincoln see them, but earlier Jane Pierce hosted the Fox sisters!

http://www.firstladies.org/blog/first-ladies-the-occult-seances-and-spiritualists-part-1/

Beyond the grief of personal loss, however, Bennie Pierce’s death left his mother overwhelmed with guilt.

Nothing distracted Jane Pierce from a determination to contact her dead son and convey the depth of her love and beg his forgiveness for withholding the fullest measure of it when he was alive.

The First Lady’s initial effort to contact Bennie seemed to be a psychological beckoning in the form of one long, emotionally wrought letter to him, composed in January of 1853, asking him to come to her so she could further explain her failings as a mother.

She then invited the famous young spiritualists of the era, the Fox sisters, to hold a White House séance so she could reach Bennie. Whether it was her letter or the séance, Mrs. Pierce did find relief. She would soon report to her sister that her dead son came to her in two successive nights of dreams.

Back