Abysmal Journalism & Its Disproportionate Influence

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Does anyone remember in FHM magazine they had a "Little eye on the provinces" column about pointlessly petty stories from local newspapers?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Think before you click.

At least they corrected it.

EsSMutyVEAEfayC.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Does anyone remember in FHM magazine they had a "Little eye on the provinces" column about pointlessly petty stories from local newspapers?
I remember LOADED magazine, a 'lad's mag'. It had a good phrase to describe shocking situations, a "Drop your bacon sandwich' moment .. pointing out that bacon sandwiches are so lush that to drop one could only happen if news was very shocking indeed.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in 2018 an Indonesian woman named Wa Tiba was killed and swallowed by a large python, as reported in this thread:

Man-Eating Pythons (?)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/man-eating-pythons.54856/#post-1764802

The Women's Health (magazine) website re-published the news story verbatim on 25 April 2021 as if it just happened this past week.
Woman Swallowed By Python As She Checked On Her Cornfield
APR 25, 2021
A woman in Indonesia was swallowed whole by a python as she checked on her cornfields last week. According to The Washington Post, citing the Jakarta Post, the woman's name was Wa Tiba and lived on Muna Island off the coast of Sulawesi. ...
https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/a36211479/woman-swallowed-python-cornfield/

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Hugh Grant might purchase baked food: the BBC cuts to the heart of the public's concern.

Hugh Grant spotted in Frome bakery

View attachment 38244

News story equally vacuous:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-56746279

BBC News criticised for ‘ridiculous’ report on Hugh Grant’s visit to Frome bakery.

“Anyone know where in the country Hugh Grant is, what type of foodstuffs he’s buying and… oh, don’t worry, BBC News has sorted it,” ~ comedian Bennet Arron.

“Never thought I'd say this but can you give us more news about covid?” ~ Toby Tarrant

maximus otter

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
At least Frome only has Hugh Grant. We've had Tom Cruise up here and it's ALL OVER the local newspapers, loads of pictures of Tom Cruise standing about and doing stuff. Only... he is, very properly wearing a mask. So the paper is full of pictures of a bloke who could be anybody standing about.

The levels of local hysteria are high.
https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/19244959.tom-cruise-flies-ryedale-filming/

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
At least Frome only has Hugh Grant. We've had Tom Cruise up here and it's ALL OVER the local newspapers, loads of pictures of Tom Cruise standing about and doing stuff. Only... he is, very properly wearing a mask. So the paper is full of pictures of a bloke who could be anybody standing about.

The levels of local hysteria are high.
https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/19244959.tom-cruise-flies-ryedale-filming/

Yeah, but even in the frozen north a 4’ 11” man in a £5,000 suit handing out free copies of Dianetics would attract some attention.

maximus otter

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Recent reports have Cruise "saving" a cameraman from danger.

Last week, the Mail Online published photos showing Cruise grabbing hold of a cameraman who had slipped from the carriage of a moving train.
While the cameraman was wearing a harness to prevent him from serious injury, Cruise apparently managed to help prevent him from slipping further down the side of the carriage or from dropping his equipment.
From Yahoo News et al.

I didn't bother to read further due to a crippling disinterest in whatever he does.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Warning! Manchester Evening News Link. Bargepoles called for.

I seldom click on the site intentionally but the BBC Manchester site has links to it. The content is truly abysmal, when you can reach it. The purpose of the site is to load so much spam and clickbait that it will slow your machine to a crawl.

The linked article has acres of verbal gush and photographs of floral tributes to a deceased 18-year-old.

"Without him, this world is worse off. He had a heart of gold. He didn't get his chance to share his beautiful light around this world . . . "

etc. etc. ad nauseam

Wythenshaw's leading light was driving a BMW, "believed stolen" on the wrong carriageway of the M.60.

Almost as a footnote, we learn that he killed a 77-year-old man.

This has to be the worst piece of non-journalism I have ever seen!

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Warning! Manchester Evening News Link. Bargepoles called for.

I seldom click on the site myself intentionally but the BBC Manchester site has links to it. The content is truly abysmal, when you can reach it. The purpose of the site is to load so much spam and clickbait that it will slow your machine to a crawl.

The linked article has acres of verbal gush and photographs of floral tributes to a deceased 18-year-old.

"Without him, this world is worse off. He had a heart of gold. He didn't get his chance to share his beautiful light around this world . . . "

etc. etc. ad nauseam

Wythenshaw's leading light was driving a BMW, "believed stolen" on the wrong carriageway of the M.60.

Almost as a footnote, we learn that he killed a 77-year-old man.

This has to be the worst piece of non-journalism I have ever seen!

Why on earth do three different people describe him as 'pure'?

He killed someone in a high-speed police chance in a stolen car.

I'm prepared to credit that he veered off on the wrong moral track or was led astray, but clearly 'pure' isn't the adjective here.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
but clearly 'pure' isn't the adjective here.

You can be Pure Evil or, as in Blackadder, Pure Green :)

There is also a Glaswegian phrase which is variants on pure dead fanny.

Could any or all of these be applicable

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Not getting into the merits of the various political parties in France but the results of the Regional Elections are being grossly distorted in the MSM.

Left Coalitions actually lead in 5 Regional Presidential races, The RN (Front National) Coalition only leads in 1 Region. Centrist- Conservative Coalitions lead in 8 regions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_French_regional_elections

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
French politics, even with a coffee and a Gauloise, is still politics.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
French politics, even with a coffee and a Gauloise, is still politics.

Oui. But I wonder why MSM in the English speaking world are inaccurately reporting the results. Incompetence or what?

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Or (false) confirmation of editorial bias?
I mean, when Trump was elected and all news reports from all countries were saying far right and nationalist parties were on the rise, now it looks like their support is faltering in the face of the pandemic.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's so sad to see the epic decline in Christian faith in the U.S.

As Fox News shows so graphically:

SmartSelect_20211001-103721_YouTube.jpg

1. Do you recall the happy religiosity Americans 'used to' enjoy back in... *Checks graphic* 2009, when it was all fields? I'm sure the polling company also has data to show how 'enthusiastic' those Christians used to be (all those ones racked with doubt that I keep meeting are probably outliers).

2. I only wish that there were figures for such things back in the pre-2009 dark age of public opinion polling; then we'd see the real extent of this precipitous decline—oh, well.

3. But look, that first bar in the graph: it's very nearly at the very top of the (strangely truncated) y-axis that weirdly doesn't reach 100—almost everybody was a Christian then, I suppose...

4. And that sad second bar: clearly plunging towards the bottom of that (strangely truncated) y-axis that weirdly begins at 58%.

5. I'm sure that there is a perfectly respectable reason to show only 20% of a poll that sought to reflect the views of 100% of Americans.

Edit: Gore Warning.

bzaflp0rp3bmcdh6noxn.gif

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
It's so sad to see the epic decline in Christian faith in the U.S.

As Fox News shows so graphically:

View attachment 45911

1. Do you recall the happy religiosity Americans 'used to' enjoy back in... *Checks graphic* 2009, when it was all fields? I'm sure the polling company also has data to show how 'enthusiastic' those Christians used to be (all those ones racked with doubt that I keep meeting are probably outliers).

2. I only wish that there were figures for such things back in the pre-2009 dark age of public opinion polling; then we'd see the real extent of this precipitous decline—oh, well.

3. But look, that first bar in the graph: it's very nearly at the very top of the (strangely truncated) y-axis that weirdly doesn't reach 100—almost everybody was a Christian then, I suppose...

4. And that sad second bar: clearly plunging towards the bottom of that (strangely truncated) y-axis that weirdly begins at 58%.

5. I'm sure that there is a perfectly respectable reason to show only 20% of a poll that sought to reflect the views of 100% of Americans.

Edit: Gore Warning.

"In a 2020 survey by the Pew Research Center, 65% of adults in the United States identified themselves as Christians. They were 75% in 2015 70.6% in 2014, 78% in 2012, 81.6% in 2001, and 85% in 1990. About 62% of those polled claim to be members of a church congregation."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chr...20 survey by,members of a church congregation.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Given the chaos at petrol stations throughout the country over the last week, grossly inaccurate reporting of the tiny proportion of BP garages experiencing some supply issues, is worthy of a mention here. The Sun was perhaps the most graphically egregious example, but the BBC TV and radio reporting was gratuitously sensationalist and seemed calculated to instil panic too.

sun.JPG

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Given the chaos at petrol stations throughout the country over the last week, grossly inaccurate reporting of the tiny proportion of BP garages experiencing some supply issues, is worthy of a mention here. The Sun was perhaps the most graphically egregious example, but the BBC TV and radio reporting was gratuitously sensationalist and seemed calculated to instil panic too.

View attachment 45921
Today's 'Daily Star' front page.

Daily-Star.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting figures. British news sites doing very well in terms of readership.

FCnDs4pX0AsYkjq.jpeg.jpg

One wonders how many MSN 'hits' are because or a preset homepages!

Fox News, last time I checked, had a... technical term here: dogshit website filled with really flimsy articles, quite apart from any ideological differences I might have with them. I find much to dislike about the Guardian's political stances, but they have a proper site with properly written articles at least. CNN is dreadfully written—too many attempts at a cool and chatty tone and no attempt at neutrality; the Daily Mail, as I said, has become Hello! Magazine.

Edit: to be fair, I've just checked and Fox has had a redesign and looks much better now.

Last edited: