Accounts Not Meshing

Leaferne

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Ryn, is your av linked from another site like Photobucket? Sometimes PB is down. That reminds me, you were having such trouble getting to the site awhile ago; is that sorted now?

zardozzz

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I used to be zardoz, i am now apparently zardozzz. When i was finally allowed to post after a week or so of waiting for i dont know what. I was logged in as zardozz, then imagine my surprize after a few days when i came to the board one day to find i was now back to my old 'zardoz' again, and with my old post count etc. Great, i thought the account must have meshed. But now i log on this week and i am back to zardozzz again. Mind you that was only after the board refused to recognise either name or password for three days, and asked me to re register again!? Please help. Can my account be re-meshed or can i have my old 'zardoz' back again, as i had last week. I even posted with it so i know it was a fully working account.

It would not surprize me to learn that there are many others locked out of the forum, unable to post in some sort of limbo. When i was in this state none of my emails were answered and i could not even find the irc channel to contact someone through that either.

A

Anonymous

Have I not meshed, or is that something different? I've got my post numbers and date joined, just like Ravenstone, but I can't seem to keep avatars or sigs.

I'm getting confused! :cry:

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
4d49a4a2 said:
Have I not meshed, or is that something different? I've got my post numbers and date joined, just like Ravenstone, but I can't seem to keep avatars or sigs.

I'm getting confused! :cry:
Yeah the meshing sorts out attaching your old number of posts to your new accounts and the join date and (I believe) old PMs. Other details seem not to carry over and you'll have to add those back in - see my comments here for a bit more info:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 371#569371

A

Anonymous

Okay. Only I'm still a bit confused because Ravenstone is still in the memberlist, yet I'm here; so that would suggest that half the details are shared between the usernames?

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
4d49a4a2 said:
Okay. Only I'm still a bit confused because Ravenstone is still in the memberlist, yet I'm here; so that would suggest that half the details are shared between the usernames?
Oh beyond this point lies a dark and mysterious land it is best not to dwell too long on.

If you can't fish out your old details let me know and I'll grab them beyond that.......

I did post how you could, in theory, get rid of a badly chosen name and replace it with a new one (by signing up a new account and then getting that meshed with the current one) but it is a pain (but pos. worth it if you've picked something temporary and found out it was permanent and you can't live with it) and if it won't let you have Ravenstone first time round there is nothing that can be done on that front I'm afraid - you could try:

Raven_stone
_Ravenstone
Ravenstone_

A

Anonymous

I'm going to try it. It usually says something about this email address belonging to someone else, but I could try a yahoo address or something, I suppose?

If you don't see me again, it's because I've tumbled into the ether and I can't get out.

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
Reaction score
Bugger me backwards and call me Nancy - I'M BACK!!!!! :D

At least, I should be.

Emps - I've used a completely different email address. Will this cause any problems with me having two identities? Can you delete the old 4dR2D2 one? Or would that lose all the posts and stuff?

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Ravenstone said:
Bugger me backwards and call me Nancy - I'M BACK!!!!! :D

At least, I should be.

Emps - I've used a completely different email address. Will this cause any problems with me having two identities? Can you delete the old 4dR2D2 one? Or would that lose all the posts and stuff?
We can't delete accounts but we can disable it if you like.

But more to the point - how did you do that? I can think of quite a few people who'd be awfully interested.

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
Reaction score
Well, it was a bit hit and miss.

Nearest I can remember, step by step

- I logged out as R2D2
- I went to log in
- I selected the thing at the top that says if you already have an account click here
- I put in Ravenstone, and put in the password for R2D2 (my old password was 4 characters, which is where I think it all went wrong before)
- I put in a yahoo email address.
- I made up all the demographics (I'm a male millionnaire, born on 31st August, 1888)
- It suddenly said I'd successfully done it.

Then I went back in and tried to change the email address to my real one, but it said that email address was already logged to another user, so I had to use 'Imself's email address. Which is why I'd like to change it back to my own email address before he finds out! Which is why I wondered if 4dr2d3c3p0 could be deleted, because I guess that would leave my real email address free for me to use?

Does that help? Basically, lie through your back teeth and use another email address.

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
Reaction score
Weirdly - I'm getting email notifications now I'm Ravenstone, but at my real email address :shock:

This is quite bizarre. I didn't get notifications as 4dr2c3po, even though that is what's registered to my own email. Yet now I'm registered to another address, I'm getting notifications on my own address.

Confused? Or is it just me?

minordrag

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Where am I--still a goddamn yeti?

RainyOcean

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
:lol: Rave, I did the same thing. Gave them fake details and a fake e-mail address, yet am getting e-mail notifications at my real e-mail address. Confusing huh?

I think I gave it the e-mail address [email protected] :lol:

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Ravenstone said:
Weirdly - I'm getting email notifications now I'm Ravenstone, but at my real email address :shock:

This is quite bizarre. I didn't get notifications as 4dr2c3po, even though that is what's registered to my own email. Yet now I'm registered to another address, I'm getting notifications on my own address.

Confused? Or is it just me?
Oh no I think that counts for just about everyone.

I confess I have no idea how that technicque works but I may give it a shot tomorrow. I'd need to consult on what long term problems this may cause (if any). I'm just being cautious as last time I thought I was being clever I buggered my account up for a week and a half.

I'm afraid we cannot change the email address or delete the account (OK we can delete the account but we have been told not to delete accounts only ban them which doesn't help in your circumstances but they are unusual and its possible we might be permitted to do that in this case).

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
Reaction score
Oh, how many times have I heard that in my life - "Your circumstances are unusual" :lol:

SniperK2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I used to be Lethe, I tried activating - or reactivating- my account 5 times, and had no joy, I tried different names, and recieved no emails, tried a hotmail, of course it's not accepted.
THIS name is my b/f's gaming name, which I never used, but it is the first line of our email address. This is all beyond me, I don't care what I'm called really, but am just confused, however, it is the first time I've been able to get on for about 3 weeks, so.. no worries eh. :?

minordrag

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I must say this experience has been and continues to be a preposterous, infuriating clusterf*ck.

Seems designed to chase old posters away and cripple the board, but I'm not advocating ulterior motivation beyond incompetence and venality.

[edited to add: not on the part of the mods! also, you wouldn't believe the bullshit I just had to go through to edit this bugger: it tried to make me reregister twice!]

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
SniperK2 said:
I used to be Lethe, I tried activating - or reactivating- my account 5 times, and had no joy, I tried different names, and recieved no emails, tried a hotmail, of course it's not accepted.
THIS name is my b/f's gaming name, which I never used, but it is the first line of our email address. This is all beyond me, I don't care what I'm called really, but am just confused, however, it is the first time I've been able to get on for about 3 weeks, so.. no worries eh. :?
OK I've added you to the remeshing list.

SniperK2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Thankyou Emps, I'm not really whinging, just a bit confused.

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
SniperK2 said:
Thankyou Emps, I'm not really whinging, just a bit confused.
Can't blame you - its awfully confusing ;)

RainyOcean

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Lethe, did you try giving it a fake e-mail address? It seems to like those.

SniperK2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
What, just any old thing you make up? :shock: It certainly didn't like our real one, after seven times, I went away for a week out of sheer frustration, lol and thicko me tried hotmail, two days ago, to read that... it won't take hotmail. :roll:

Sardan2

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Help Me

"Sardan" was my old ident and I have found it impossible to sort. I think there may be a Sardan2 and a Sardan3 as a result of my troubles. :oops:

Could someone please sort it out for me.

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Re: Help Me

Sardan2 said:
"Sardan" was my old ident and I have found it impossible to sort. I think there may be a Sardan2 and a Sardan3 as a result of my troubles. :oops:

Could someone please sort it out for me.
OK I've added you to the list.

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
Reaction score
sings

"He's got a little list,
He's got a little list,
Of Fortean Times message board members who's mesh has gone amiss
And some of them were pissed.
I'm sure they'll not be missed..." :D