• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Acts Of Kindness

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Nothing comical about anonymous and random acts of kindness
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 57210.html
DAVID McNEILL

Fri, Jan 28, 2011

TOKYO LETTER: Donations of gifts to orphanage children, donated by people using comic-book names, is spreading through Japan

IT STARTED quietly on Christmas Day, when an anonymous donation of school satchels arrived at an orphanage in Japan’s rural Gunma prefecture.

The sender identified himself as Naoto Date, the alter ego of masked comic-book wrestler Tiger Mask who donated his winnings to the fictional childhood orphanage where he grew up.

That apparently spontaneous act of modest generosity has since set off a sort of benevolent contagion, with donors sending cash, school bags and food to child welfare facilities across the country. Japan’s state broadcaster NHK estimates the tally of donations at more than 700, worth more than $400,000.

The gifts have come in all shapes and sizes. Care workers at an orphanage in Yamagata woke up to find leeks, cabbage, sacks of rice and ¥10,000 (€90) with a note under the Tiger Mask name, asking the children to be strong and share the food.

Nappies and stuffed toys are popular. A cram school operator weighed in last week with a single donation of €44,500.

Perhaps not surprisingly in a manga-loving culture that traditionally shuns ostentation, the comic-book guises of the donors have mushroomed like the crowded cast of an afternoon soap opera. The name of beloved children’s character Anpanman, who has a head made of bread, has been on several gifts, along with Mario, the stocky plumber of Nintendo’s Super Mario games, and Doraemon, Japan’s famous 22nd robotic cat.

The hundreds of donors have mostly stayed faithful to the anonymity of the Tiger Mask character, but some have been spotted dropping off their gifts.

In one case, an apparently elderly man wearing the character’s tiger mask ran off after leaving more schoolbags at a welfare facility in Oita prefecture.

Japan’s media, drowning in bad news, has grabbed on to the story like a lifebuoy. All the major newspapers have run stories speculating on the identity of the donors.

Many appear to be middle- aged or older, making them the prime audience for the hugely popular Tiger Mask comic series, which ran for three years from 1968.

For millions of Japanese, those were better times. Their country had, to the astonishment of many, overtaken West Germany to become the planet’s number two economy, a little over two decades since being crushed in the second World War.

The government had successfully united a humiliated, potentially unmanageable population around the common goal of overtaking the West.

Ahead was the go-go 1980s, when Japan peaked and some predicted it would overtake the United States as the world’s top economic powerhouse.

Today, after two decades of political and economic drift, Japanese seem united only in their belief that the best is over.

That feeling had been compounded by the success of neighbour China, which last year overtook Japan to become the world’s second-largest economy.

Malaise has set in like gangrene, draining the under-30s of the energy and commitment of their parents. The malaise has inevitably been accompanied by social problems that shock older people in a country supposedly built on rock-solid family ties.

Child abuse, although still low by international standards, has rocketed in the last decade, reaching a record high last year when 18 children died, mostly at the hands of parents.

In one particularly disturbing case, a woman left her two children to starve to death in a small apartment. Neighbours heard the children crying but did nothing to help.

Commentators say the Tiger Mask phenomenon has been fuelled by a sense of sharp generational concern, even guilt, among the people who grew up during better times.

“Many of these donors are probably people of my generation who feel an emotional bond with Tiger Mask,” novelist Arisu Arisugawa (51) told the Yomiuri newspaper. “I think people want to contribute to society.”

Not everyone is a fan.

Photographer Shinya Fujiwara told Kyodo News that the masked donors made him “uncomfortable” because they were evidence that Japan’s economic and social funk was deepening.

“Those donors probably include people whose ties with their families and friends have been severed, and who have no place to express affection for others,” said Fujiwara, who called the gift-giving a form of “distorted heroism”.

That’s not the dominant view. On TV, ordinary people interviewed about the phenomenon have invariably welcomed it, while lamenting that it may have already peaked.

“I hope people don’t treat this as a temporary thing and keep giving,” one woman told NHK. “We need more thought for others in our society.”

I always found Tiger Mask rather brutal...I wouldnt identify with it

Pursuit of happiness
The path to inner joy is simple – commit random acts of kindness, relax and be thankful for what you've got
Hannah Booth guardian.co.uk, Monday 19 September 2011 20.29 BST

I am sitting across a table from my sister-in-law, outside a small Italian restaurant, reading her a letter. As experiences go, it's toe-curling. I am telling her everything I'm grateful to her for. It's like a bad episode of Oprah. Surely us Brits aren't built for this stuff?

But according to Action for Happiness, little things like this can really improve our lives. The movement, founded by LSE professor Richard Layard and Dr Anthony Seldon, aims to create positive social change, and comes as the government prepares to publish findings this autumn on its proposed happiness index.

The movement's core idea is that we should all try to create more happiness. Or, to paraphrase the Dalai Lama, happiness doesn't just happen to you, you have to work at it. To this end, a list has been drawn up of 50 activities, from getting to know neighbours to unplugging from technology, that can make positive changes to our lives. But can they work? I spent a week finding out …

Being kind
According to the organisation, doing kind things for others strengthens our connection with them and builds trust – particularly with strangers – leading to happier communities. The acts can be large or small, but must be beyond the things you do regularly.

This is not hard. To my surprise, I am not overly kind. I'm polite, I'm friendly, I hold open doors, but my natural reserve prevents me from, say, mowing a neighbour's lawn.

So I step it up, offering to let someone queue-jump (he refuses), and trying to help a pair of lost tourists ("Nein danke, we're fine"). Finally – yes! – a couple struggles off a bus with a wheelchair and bag of shopping. I take a bag, give the woman my arm, and walk her to the wheelchair. I feel like Mother Teresa.

Give thanks
Next I must write down, every night, three things I'm grateful for. This, apparently, helps us to feel happier, healthier and more fulfilled – and less materialistic.

It turns out that I am a natural, scribbling down teenage things such as "amazing swim!", "gorgeous day!", "James McAvoy!". After a particularly bad day it makes me feel instantly more upbeat.

"This action helps us to reframe our perceptions of how our day is going," says Action for Happiness's director, Mark Williamson. "It's not about ignoring bad things, but asking, did anything good happen today? You can usually find something."

Being mindful
Meanwhile, I am trying to meditate. Boy, this is hard. I chose it for its supposed power to transform, through teaching us mindfulness – living in the present rather than dwelling on the past or worrying about the future – which in turn can make you more robust.

The meditation website, Headspace, instructs me to sit for 10 minutes each morning, focusing on my breath, observing my thoughts. At first, turning my mind away from work, worries, my to-do list and breakfast, is impossible.

"Everyone experiences this at first," Headspace's founder, Andy Puddicombe, reassures me. "People think you have to somehow switch off, but actually meditation is more about switching on, developing awareness. So don't let a wandering mind put you off."

And, sure enough, as the week progresses, I start to look forward to it. It gives me a calm but ready-for-anything feeling that's rather novel. I even try it when swimming. With a bit of extra effort, entire lengths go by unnoticed, and afterwards I feel not just physically exercised, but more clear-headed.

Write a letter
Another suggestion is that you should thank the people you're grateful to, and that the best way to do this is by writing a letter, then reading it to them.

My letter-reading day is looming. I've chosen my sister-in-law for several reasons but mainly because, although life is easier if you get on with your in-laws, there's no compunction to like, let alone love, them. But I do – she is like a sister, and I've never told her that.

According to Williamson, this will make us both happier, and has a knock-on effect – if we know others have valued something we've done, we are more likely to do it again. In fact, all happiness can be contagious. Research from the US suggests it can affect not just us, but our friends, their friends and even their friends.

Reading the letter makes me cringe. I do it quickly and perfunctorily. My sister-in-law stares into her lap so she doesn't meet my eye. I'd put a few weak jokes in there to diffuse the awkwardness. But afterwards she looks like she might cry. She tells me she is deeply touched, had no idea how much she means to me, and feels the same.

Better still, the rest of the night is spent discussing previously taboo subjects: a long-forgotten bust-up; how neither of us are exactly how we appear; what my mum says about me behind my back. It's refreshing to air feelings in a positive context, rather than after a fight, and I come away not only understanding her better but glowing with something indefinable – the sensation, perhaps, that I've done something really nice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -happiness

Mystery of the 'beautiful blonde' who saved woman with random act of kindness
By Millie_Herald | Posted: July 04, 2017

A mother from Torpoint is searching for the stranger who helped her out on the Severn Bridge with an amazing act of random kindness.
Victoria Trevor, 50, was just about to cross the bridge into Wales when she realised that she couldn't find her purse.
It costs £6.70 to cross the bridge from England and with no money to pay the toll Victoria started to panic.

As she was desperately searching for her money, Victoria said that a blonde woman in the lane next to her stopped and gave her £20.
Victoria told The Herald that she asked the woman to pull over on the other side so she could give her the change - but the kindhearted woman drove off without it.
Now she has said that she is searching for the "beautiful blonde woman" who helped her so that she can pay her back.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/mys...-of-kindness/story-30422820-detail/story.html

Sometimes the human race doesn't seem so bad..! :D

that hasnt been my experience with blondes
You perhaps imply that they tend to drive off without giving you £20. Or maybe that they all drive away when you try to give them £20

I find it truly-Fortean (yet somehow a not-entirely implausible proposition) that an entire sub-species of caucasian humanity could be characterised at least in part by their hair-colour.

I tend to stereotypically-imagine redheads as being physiologically-weak ultrablonds (wrecked by sunlight/chlorine/aerobics), with the spectrum of strength increasing towards dark-haired people (passing through brown-haired intermedially-capable humans).

There may be such generalised correlations (empirical predictive suppositions) that somehow are more accurate that just blind guessing.

Whether these could also extend into predictive behavioural groupings in respect of altruism could become an interesting (though contentious) research project.

You perhaps imply that they tend to drive off without giving you £20. Or maybe that they all drive away when you try to give them £20

I find it truly-Fortean (yet somehow a not-entirely implausible proposition) that an entire sub-species of caucasian humanity could be characterised at least in part by their hair-colour.

I tend to stereotypically-imagine redheads as being physiologically-weak ultrablonds (wrecked by sunlight/chlorine/aerobics), with the spectrum of strength increasing towards dark-haired people (passing through brown-haired intermedially-capable humans).

There may be such generalised correlations (empirical predictive suppositions) that somehow are more accurate that just blind guessing.

Whether these could also extend into predictive behavioural groupings in respect of altruism could become an interesting (though contentious) research project.
Joking aside, perfume advertisements are targeted by their structure at (I presume, natural) hair colours. I think I read that in something by Rushkoff, but I'm damned if I can find it now.

My S-I-L who is a very intelligent person and a properly qualified physiotherapist (most of them aren't, you need much the same training as a doctor) - anyway, about 10 years ago she dyed her strikingly handsome blond hair brown and cut it short because she was fed up of being treated as a dumb blonde.

I on the other hand am suspicious of redheads, due to actual experiences which are
unnecessary to relate...

I suspect the human psyche has an absolute need to have at least one readily-identifiable group to ridicule.

My S-I-L who is a very intelligent person and a properly qualified physiotherapist (most of them aren't, you need much the same training as a doctor) - anyway, about 10 years ago she dyed her strikingly handsome blond hair brown and cut it short because she was fed up of being treated as a dumb blonde.

I on the other hand am suspicious of redheads, due to actual experiences which are
unnecessary to relate...
The opposite, due to 'Mrs Coal'.

There does seem to be a kind of "auto arse pilot" that engages in some men when blonde hair is spotted. I don't get it myself.

I suspect the human psyche has an absolute need to have at least one readily-identifiable group to ridicule.

I'm not sure that's the case. There seems to be a desire to ridicule anyone who is sufficiently different to be classed as 'other' plus an innate need to impose social dominance on others to keep oneself higher up.

Picking on red-heads might illustrate that quite well - and in the end, if you have a culture of victimising a group based on some arbitrary visible feature, you'll get a self-fulfilling prophecy, as behaviours will modify according to the trope and personal experience.

Are Scottish people careful with money or do they just think they should be because that's now part of Scottish social identity as a result of 50 years of jokes about it?

... I suspect the human psyche has an absolute need to have at least one readily-identifiable group to ridicule.

I can't dispute your suspicion based on my own life experiences. On the other hand, I would sub-divide the effect into three parts:

(a) the tendency to categorize people into different sets based on arbitrary criteria;
(b) the apparent need (pressurized via social means) to define oneself in relation to one or more such sets; and
(c) a variable impulse to prioritize one versus another set, often involving aggrandizing one's own ascribed set(s) relative to others'.

IMHO item (a) is, for all intents and purposes, innate.

Item (b) is to some extent expected as one stumbles toward and through free-standing adulthood (e.g., social identity tuning during the teen years).

Item (c) is entirely discretionary, it's figuratively a matter of 'enhancing the contrast' to more starkly highlight boundaries deriving from (b), and it is the one most likely to spin out of control / go too far.

(c) a variable impulse to prioritize one versus another set, often involving aggrandizing one's own ascribed set(s) relative to others'.
^this^ once one over aggrandises one's own set, by definition other sets are 'inferior'. So it's OK to be mean to them.

^this^ once one over aggrandises one's own set, by definition other sets are 'inferior'. So it's OK to be mean to them.

There's a good example of this in the realm of Forteana. There are two sets (populations) commonly differentiated by opinion on a given topic - the true believers and the skeptics. Which set gets approval versus derision varies with the venue (forum, etc.) involved.

I was reminded of this recently, while prowling through various forums relating to Bigfoot. At skeptic-dominated sites it was apparently acceptable to hurl any amount of pejorative / snide comments at those exhibiting belief, with the reverse being the norm on sites where the true believers held sway.

There's a good example of this in the realm of Forteana. There are two sets (populations) commonly differentiated by opinion on a given topic - the true believers and the skeptics. Which set gets approval versus derision varies with the venue (forum, etc.) involved.

I was reminded of this recently, while prowling through various forums relating to Bigfoot. At skeptic-dominated sites it was apparently acceptable to hurl any amount of pejorative / snide comments at those exhibiting belief, with the reverse being the norm on sites where the true believers held sway.
Quite so. When you consider that's the rhetorical equivalent of saying "My argument is weak, so I can only be right if the other guy is a git", it does seem rather at odds with the rational thought required to investigate Forteana well.

(You used the term 'true believer' which is the crux of the matter, it is one of faith, not evidence)

This thread is supposed to be about Random Acts of Kindness, which engender a warm glow in the heart.
But look how the discussion has gone here! :eek:

No wonder people get pissed off by this MB! Perhaps we should close the whole thing down for a month, not just a couple of threads! :twisted:

This thread is supposed to be about Random Acts of Kindness, which engender a warm glow in the heart. But look how the discussion has gone here! :eek: ...

The tangent was a random act of kindness, and it was for your benefit ...

It provides something to keep you occupied while the Lone Coastguard thread, and all the others comprised of news without clearly Fortean overtones, are relegated to the staff's 'doghouse' this month ... :evil:

Maybe this will fit here. It's an uplifting story. And the music is good too.

How Creating “(american) FOOL” Saved the Life of Poet Jerry Quickley

With so much loss, Quickley says, “I made a deal with myself that I would complete [(american) FOOL, his latest record] before I decided whether or not I was going to stick around. So the record really became a lifeboat for me in a way.”

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/03/15/jerry-quickley-interview/

There is now an endowed institute at UCLA dedicated to researching and promoting human kindness.
Wealthy Couple Gives UCLA $20 Million to Find the 'Antidote' to an Unkind World

UCLA has established a new institute dedicated to studying and promoting kindness.

It manifests in small gestures like giving up your seat on the subway, as well as large acts like volunteering your time to rebuild homes and feed the hungry in the wake of disaster. Scholars at the University of California, Los Angeles, are pooling their efforts to study an elusive phenomenon that pulls humanity together — kindness.

The university received $20 million from The Bedari Foundation, a private family foundation, to establish the UCLA Bedari Kindness Institute, a center designed to probe the "evolutionary, biological, psychological, economic, cultural and sociological" basis of kindness, according to an announcement. Previously, separate groups of UCLA researchers have tackled questions regarding the nature of kindness: How does kindness spread between people? How does kindness shape our brains and behavior? How can unkind people be compelled to change their ways?

"In the midst of current world politics, violence and strife, the UCLA Bedari Kindness Institute seeks to be an antidote," Darnell Hunt, dean of the UCLA division of social sciences, said in the statement.

The scholars have settled on a definition of kindness, according to the Los Angeles Times: Kindness is "an act that enhances the welfare of others as an end in itself." Though performing acts of kindness reportedly benefits the do-gooder by reducing their stress levels and risk of succumbing to infection or serious illness, good deeds should be intended to benefit the recipient alone. Kindness requires selflessness, and humans require kindness to succeed as a species, said Daniel Fessler, UCLA anthropology professor and the institute's inaugural director. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/kindness-institute.html

Random acts of kindness - Xmas 2020 edition ...
Secret Santa pays off $65,000 worth of layaway items at Walmart

The manager of a Walmart store in Tennessee said a secret Santa came into the store and paid nearly $65,000 to cover the cost of all current layaway items.

Kris Light, manager of the Walmart in Bristol, confirmed the person came into store and made a $64,995.51 donation to clear the entire layaway balance. ...

Lloyd Leonard, a customer at the store, said he was initially confused when he received a message saying his layaway purchases had been paid off and were ready for pick-up. ...

Leonard talked to a store employee and discovered his bill had been paid by an anonymous person.

"She said yeah somebody came in this morning at 6 o'clock and paid everybody's layaway," Leonard said. "But he wants me to tell you that he loves you, god bless you and Merry Christmas." ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...th-of-layaway-items-at-Walmart/4061607706654/

Canadian man drives a stranded American family 1,000 miles to Alaska

2 thousand including the return journey. Short version:

Woman from Georgia drives her 2 children & pets to Alaska to meet her husband who's stationed there in the army. Buys 4 x 4 + trailer & plans to set off early autumn but due to covid restrictions is delayed to November.

The first 3000 miles goes well til they get into Canada where it gets very cold, icy & she finds she has summer tyres & no grip. Decides she's had enough of driving at this point & plans to go home.

Canadian ranger who trains the military to survive the Arctic sees a social media post about their plight & decides to drive them 1056 miles to the border.

Full story at link

It's quite a long way to go for a bender.

This anonymous customer didn't even purchase anything before leaving a massive tip for the employees of an Ohio restaurant.
Customer leaves $5,600 tip for Ohio restaurant employees

Employees at an Ohio restaurant have an extra reason to be jolly this holiday season after a customer left a $5,600 tip without even ordering any food.

Souk Mediterranean Kitchen & Bar said a customer came in during the weekend and requested to be rung up for a penny. ...

An employee complied, and the customer, identified only as Billy, left a $5,600 tip that he requested be split among all of the eatery's employees. ...

Salloukh said each of the restaurant's 28 employees received $200.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...-for-Ohio-restaurant-employees/2141608063573/

From Hallsley, Virginia

UPS delivery driver Anthony Gaskins gets emotional when residents line up to thank him

Resident Patty Friedman and her neighbours decided to organise a mass thank you in order to show him how much they have appreciated his daily deliveries.

The celebration, on Tuesday, December 15, saw hundreds of residents line the roads ahead of Anthony's arrival.

Adults and children screamed his name, honked car horns, rang bells and held signs thanking Anthony for all of his hard work.

His supervisors also showed up to present him with a gift.

"Sometimes he is the only outside face we see during the day.

"We appreciate his hard work and dedication during the pandemic, which delivered food, supplies, and even holiday gifts to a high-risk family."

Another said that the delivery driver "always smiles, waves, and goes above and beyond to deliver packages with care."

1608557918691.png

1608557918930.png

There is now an endowed institute at UCLA dedicated to researching and promoting human kindness.

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/kindness-institute.html
UK comedian Danny Wallace did something similar by accident about 20 years ago .. the 'JOIN ME' movement .. he'd discovered that a distant relative had died who'd once set up a 'perfect world' commune so was moved to pay for an advert in The Times newspaper that just said "Join Me" with his phone number included. After meeting his first curious complete stranger in a pub who was eager to join him but didn't know why, Danny made something up on the spot about random acts of kindness to strangers every Friday .. more and more people joined doing good things, he travelled the world, was interviewed on international TV and it was growing out of control. He'd kept it secret from his domineering girlfriend who left him when she found out. His book about all of this is hilarious :) ..

Join Me - Wikipedia

UK comedian Danny Wallace did something similar by accident about 20 years ago .. the 'JOIN ME' movement .. he'd discovered that a distant relative had died who'd once set up a 'perfect world' commune so was moved to pay for an advert in The Times newspaper that just said "Join Me" with his phone number included. After meeting his first curious complete stranger in a pub who was eager to join him but didn't know why, Danny made something up on the spot about random acts of kindness to strangers every Friday .. more and more people joined doing good things, he travelled the world, was interviewed on international TV and it was growing out of control. He'd kept it secret from his domineering girlfriend who left him when she found out. His book about all of this is hilarious :) ..

Join Me - Wikipedia
I bet he has a nicer girlfriend now.

Sikh volunteers and local football team unite to feed lorry drivers stuck at Dover

Volunteers from Khalsa Aid, from Maidenhead, Berkshire, travelled over 80 miles to help provide more than 800 meals to the truckers – with some of the group’s Langar Aid members travelling more than 150 miles from Coventry.

Fellow Sikhs from Guru Nanak Temple, a gurdwara in Gravesend, helped to cook the meals before the volunteers were given a Kent Police escort along the M20 to deliver them.

Ramsgate Football Club also provided meals, delivering 200 pizzas to drivers stranded on the motorway.

Customer leaves $2,020 tip at Florida restaurant

A Florida restaurant said a "generous customer" whose bill totaled about $29 surprised staff by leaving a $2,020 tip.

South Shore Pizza in Ruskin said in a Facebook post that a customer left the $2,020 tip and requested that the money be split among all of the shop's employees. ...

The customer said the tip was part of the #2020TipChallenge, an online initiative that started earlier in the year to encourage people to be generous toward those in the service industry. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...2020-tip-at-Florida-restaurant/8471608755013/

Anonymous person steals - then refurbishes and returns - two chairs ...
Chairs taken from outside couple's home returned refurbished

A New Mexico couple who thought a pair of old dining chairs had been stolen from outside their home returned from a weekend trip to find the "thief" had returned the chairs with a fresh coat of paint and new upholstery.

University of New Mexico student Conrad Duran said he spotted the two chairs left at the side of the curb on Christmas Eve and decided to take them home to try to fix them up for use inside the Albuquerque home he shares with his girlfriend, Andrea. ...

"I just grabbed them and left them outside of my garage door which is really not that close to the curb, then I had to go to work" ...

Duran said he was dismayed to return home from his double shift to find the chairs had been stolen. ...

Duran said he and Andrea were shocked when they returned from visiting family during the weekend to find the chairs had returned to their porch with a new coat of paint and new upholstery.

"I thought they had been stolen and lo and behold, they had just taken them, redid them, and returned them as a Christmas gift or something like that," Duran said. "Now they just look absolutely beautiful."

Duran said there was an anonymous note on one of the chairs about doing good for others. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...ples-home-returned-refurbished/1391609363297/

Last edited:
Back